This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Deep End
Dorian repeated once again for Ivan to keep private affairs out and act professional. What went unsaid was his unequivocal denial that the syndicate had committed any of the crimes of which it stood accused. He told Ivan it was the safest path for all involved and then walked out. Then, unbidden, Lih thought of a discussion at the Vega estate between Cruz and Dorian regarding an intruder and turned to stare at Ivan.

This advice Dorian gave about the syndicate’s hold over Ivan’s family was not well received. On that day in the bustle of the cafe, the youngster got his first taste of the power of the gods. In the years to come, he would experience a good deal more.

Ivan was in a wrathful mood, so much so that Nox had to rein him back. Nox was a good leader, Lih could see that as he watched Nox speak to Ivan, coaching, assuring, priming. Far too much history and emotions were wrought for relations between Dorian and Ivan to be soothed by Nox’s diplomacy. Nevertheless, Nox told the big officer that, upon reflection, he had reconsidered the importance of defining his role, and the relationship of the Ascendancy to that new role. Though Lih was unlikely to ever meet that great man, he’d knelt by Costa’s hospital bed plenty times and secretly thanked the Ascendancy, praising him for giving strong and honorable men to protect the CCD.

As the CCD’s proxy, he’d never questioned Dorian. It wasn’t his job. But seeing Ivan there, seeing what he was trying to do, Lih was no longer sure his new partner made the right choice. For f—’s sake, Dorian and Ivan, police officers, both, but they couldn’t even protect their loved ones. Ivan tried. He tried and asked for Dorian’s help. It was a brave thing, a noble thing to attempt. Monsters would have been easier. But it failed. And that was all.

Nox smirked. Something just happened between Ivan and Nox, and even though Lih didn’t know what, he could take a guess it had to do with their powers. Speaking of ill will, it seemed from Nox’s reaction that Ivan wasn’t the only one Dorian offended. But it drew the two of them close?

Lih silently expressed his bitter regret at this turn of the events, lamented his partner for acting with such a heavy hand, and overstretch himself by clasping the man’s hand tightly. But he did nothing of the kind to his fellow officer as unsolicited sympathy might not be appreciated, despite how he imagined clasping Ivan’s hand and speaking private words of commiseration.

Of course, Nox made sure Lih was put correctly in place regarding his stupid request. Lih was told off by Nox and approved the other’s decision, before turning back to the receipts Dorian told them to keep. Nox had told them he wanted them sharp for the moment they arrived tomorrow. Lih knew the real reason was more complex.

Still, he’d have preferred to fight while fresh now, rather than spend the whole night pacing and fretting and feeling impatient. Such worn out trainee’s were no use in the tunnels. But again, Nox was right. Better to sleep and wake the next morning with a clear head and heart.

“My interference seems unnecessary,” he nodded at Ivan, who’d backed off “but officer Vega wronged you, officer Sarkozy, it clearly wasn’t honorable” he said, refraining from mentioning that he was still unable to reconcile this unclean side of Dorian with the person he admired. It made no sense yet, but what Ivan told them made some of the pieces fit together. He would consider this further, now he had details to contemplate, and though it would take him some time, he was sure he’d figure it out some day.

“And Nox you were right to whip me up and down about the weapons and my attitude. According to the stories, you’re all much, much braver and tougher than me. And maybe I’m still not good enough even with new lenses you’ll give me.”

He shrugged, “But I can learn, train and improve my performance. And we’re going to the tunnels, for better or worse. In the fire of combat, I trust you both to be clear hearted and strong in leadership. And I say you better prove it to me tomorrow,” he smiled, “No grudges, no ill will. If you do hold grudges, set them aside. Take them up again when we return to the office, for all I care. But leave them here for now. That’s all I want to convey.”

Later that night, in his cold bedroom, Lih sank a drink to the protection of his people, and Ivan’s family in particular, and then had another one just to be sure. He saw the vapors of his breath break around his drinking glass. The pale man took a look back down at the bottle, and then padded, barefoot, to the door, pushed it open and went through. Sensing his movement, the lights in the hallway flickered on. It was warmer here, a dry artificial heat. He walked across the tatami matting and took out his gear from a case.

By the light, he held the unfamiliar weapon up and checked it. The metal was rippled along its tip, grey like flint, and caught the light with a diamond like glitter. A fine thing. A beautiful thing. A life changing thing. His heart began to beat faster. He murmured his devotions, his thanks and his blessings, his request for protection, guidance, and good fortune. It wasn’t standard practice, but before proper combat, since he’d been a jittery, eager trainee for every CCDPD certified gear he cleaned, oiled, and checked the practice range and smallest components of, he liked to take the time to rein in his enthusiasm by praying. Imagining glories yet to come. He studied the crossbow, shaking it with effort, and felt it heavy and unbalanced in his hands.

Slowly, Lih lowered the crossbow, placed it in its case, and closed the lid.

He was due to rendezvous with Ivan and Nox in the morning, at where Dorian’s car was found, prior to their mission, but on the way, he’d make a brief detour. He’d taken up powder and a cloth, and was working at the scratches and gouges on his chestplate, knowing full well the scars were too deep this time. He’d have to fetch a new one.
Viktor Lih
Officer of CCDPD

Messages In This Thread
The Deep End - by Dorian - 04-12-2019, 05:39 PM
RE: The Deep End - by Lih - 05-14-2019, 09:50 PM
RE: The Deep End - by Ivan Sarkozy - 05-17-2019, 01:33 AM
RE: The Deep End - by Dorian - 05-20-2019, 05:38 PM
RE: The Deep End - by Lih - 05-20-2019, 06:05 PM
RE: The Deep End - by Ivan Sarkozy - 05-20-2019, 07:07 PM
RE: The Deep End - by Dorian - 05-21-2019, 05:20 PM
RE: The Deep End - by Ivan Sarkozy - 05-23-2019, 09:35 PM
RE: The Deep End - by Lih - 05-24-2019, 01:50 AM