This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Height of Rumour
Zhenya perched on the barstool, slim legs crossed. The barman seemed a little bemused of her presence but quite keen to indulge it too, and he made for easy and pleasant company as she prevailed upon his expertise. In truth she wined and dined enough of the company’s clients to have some passing knowledge of her own, but it was her habit to listen to others; you never knew what you might learn, and in any case it helped pass the time until it might be reasonable to return. The temptation fluttered to check the face of her Wallet, but her bracelet would have notified her of any important messages, and she refrained from the rudeness. When she’d told Seven her heart belonged to this city, it was because of the people in it she had truly been speaking of. Briefly away from the sharp banter of business, her thoughts fluttered to home and hearth.

A glass of something bubbly slid across the bar with a wink while she waited, which was a rather sweet thought given that her own glass was still on the table with the boys, and earned a beatific smile as they discussed particulars. Of course she was limited in what she really knew of Seven given the brevity of the acquaintance, and although he might misjudge otherwise, Zhenya did not seek to impress because he was a prospective business partner. It was worth doing well for its own sake, and she enjoyed the challenge of it.

[Image: Ephraim_Haart.jpg]

Ephraim laughed and waved a dismissive hand. “The stage is yours, my friend. I am but a spectator. Rest assured the story cannot continue without you.” Seven was too genial in nature to be truly offended, he thought; not that it was his intention anyway, but he smoothed the sting anyhow. Knowing a man’s limits was important; the hills he would die on, and those insults he would choose to brush aside. What he might defend, and what did not rally his loyalty.

He pulled his legs from the table and leaned to refill his glass. “You would have come with preconceptions, as would she. It’s surprising how much you can dig up on a person with so little effort these days, and some men have the luxury of more resources than most. Much more organic to judge on what you see before you. So amusing to me, but a favour to you, I assure you.” He grinned. “The choice is yours, that’s all I’m saying.” He gestured with his drink, ice clinking. That was sincere, at least. Seven’s skills weren’t easily replicated.

“I’ve many interests, Seven. If this first project goes well, I’m sure you’ll meet many of them.” Also true, at least once Ephraim ascertained the level of trust he was willing to bestow. These things usually went easier with leverage, but all in good time. Brotherhood was enough for now. He glanced idly at the oval-shaped bar, where Zhenya was engaged in a laughing conversation with the attendant working at its centre. “Are you familiar with the city yet? I can arrange a tour if you’re keen. Less Ascendant Arch and gilded Red Square, and more personal insight. It’s an interesting city. Lots of scope for opportunity.”
[Image: zhenya-banner--scaled.jpg]
Inanna | Freyja | Zhenya | Rikela

Messages In This Thread
The Height of Rumour - by Zhenya - 04-19-2020, 08:11 PM
RE: The Height of Rumour - by Zhenya - 05-10-2020, 01:02 AM
RE: The Height of Rumour - by Seven - 05-10-2020, 10:24 PM
RE: The Height of Rumour - by Zhenya - 05-10-2020, 11:56 PM
RE: The Height of Rumour - by Seven - 05-11-2020, 12:56 AM
RE: The Height of Rumour - by Zhenya - 05-11-2020, 02:38 AM
RE: The Height of Rumour - by Seven - 05-11-2020, 10:21 PM
RE: The Height of Rumour - by Zhenya - 05-12-2020, 02:53 PM
RE: The Height of Rumour - by Seven - 05-12-2020, 10:03 PM