This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS
Ck, I had the same feel about the fighting. This and Thom's brief fade fight were the only really impressive bits of choreography so far imo.

I knew the "triangle" thing was coming because of something Laila's actress said on twitter. I don't think there will be any more about it personally. There's nothing on Egwene's part, which she states, and I don't disbelieve Perrin saying the only woman he's ever loved is his wife.

My interpretation of Laila and Perrin's marriage is that they married too young, and that Laila's behaviour may well have been insecurity at Perrin and Egwene's close relationship (and misinterpretation of it). On Perrin's part, I think he had realised Laila wasn't the love of his life, and was conflicted about it; he reassures Laila that he loves her and mentions about her not going to Egwene's ceremony. She's clearly accused him of having feelings for Egwene before this point, which means the argument is already in Perrin's head by the time he is confronted by machin shin. What if he did kill Laila because she was right about him? That he was in love with another woman? That doesn't mean he was.

It coming from Nynaeve might not mean anything more than that Laila had confided her fears at some point (which tracks with Nynaeve sending him to the forge), and therefore Nynaeve has also been misinterpreting their relationship. Because they certainly ARE close. And anyone who has been in a close platonic relationship with someone the opposite gender can attest how often other people assume there is something more going on.

But I think he treats Egwene like a sister really, and is very protective in a way that just plays into his character. She accepts him and comforts him when he breaks down about Laila, so Perrin hearing Rand suggest Egwene didn't care about Mat would easily have been enough for him to leap to the defence. Pretty much all of his behaviour can be seen as brotherly, and if there are a few looks, well, she's a pretty girl. Still doesn't mean he's in love with her. Even supposing he did ever have a crush, Perrin's had plenty of time to get closer to Egwene while they travelled together. I'm not suggesting that he would have made a move, but with everything they went through it would have strengthened any existing emotions for sure (and I suspect it would have been horrendously painful for him if it was the case, and we don't see that). If he really was in love with Egwene I think his reaction to being called out would have been different. He's not embarrassed or resigned to discovery. He just seems fierce about the fact he has to explain AGAIN that he loves his wife. I can't see Perrin lying about that personally.

In short I don't think it's a triangle at all (and likewise hope not), I think it was just the kind of misinterpretation that happens all the time in the books. How many times do other characters assume Perrin is having an affair with Berelain? If we didn't get Perrin's POV in the books, how much of his behaviour could have looked like he had feelings for Egwene himself? (I'm thinking particularly of his reaction to Aram).

It was a vehicle for the plot (and was probably a direct result of Perrin being married) but I don't think there's anything there that couldn't be considered canon, not unless it continues to be a thing.

On Rand, I think there are definitely indications of his doubt in previous episodes. His conversation with Dana about not knowing what to do, his conversation with Thom about Owyn, his insistence to Mat that he's there for him, and his asking Mat to "do the same for him." Those things alone are, I think, too subtle for my taste, but the reveal worked well anyway. My husband was surprised but he didn't feel cheated.

Asc, I'm jealous of your dreams!
"Rivers are veins of the earth through which the lifeblood returns to the heart."
[Image: thal-banner-scaled.jpg]
 | Sothis Lethe Alethea | Miraseia |

Messages In This Thread
WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Ascendancy - 12-17-2021, 03:16 AM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 12:36 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Nox - 12-17-2021, 12:59 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 06:22 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 07:53 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 08:53 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 10:25 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-18-2021, 09:36 AM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-18-2021, 09:23 PM