This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS
Marcus Wrote:Yeah, it makes sense about the supposed triangle- as in that seems correct. But as a narrative choice, I don't see the need for this. Was completely unnecessary and my honest to god reaction was "oh crap. Is this Twilight now? Teen romance angst. Team Rand or Team Perrin?" I was thankful it ended quickly and seems resolved.

I don't completely disagree, it just didn't feel that way to me, but I understand what you mean. Honestly, I think it's just a butterfly effect from making Perrin married and therefore one they had to see through. Perrin and Laila had to have an imperfect marriage, and Laila's jealously/insecurity over Egwene was the reason they appear to have chosen to imply it to viewers -- I think it was probably the most convenient to convey easily, especially as P and E spend a lot of the first book travelling together and do have a close relationship. Perrin does put women on pedestals, too. I remember after the 1st episode aired that some people were already suggesting Perrin had feelings for her (I didn't see it and dismissed it at the time). So I think they had to make it clear Perrin doesn't actually feel that way, which that scene did. Egwene shows no interest in Perrin so there can't be a triangle anyway, just Perrin mooning which would be pointless. If they do pursue it any further, I'll admit I'm wrong and join you being grumpy about it though.

I also liked Min being world-weary.

Rand might have realised sooner. I've watched it twice but didn't look out for that the second time. If he does realise before the scene with Egwene though, I think him telling her to go to the Tower is the tell. Being her warder is a pipe dream, he just wants to make sure her future is secure. As a channeler, the WT is the best place she can be and he wants her to promise she'll go. If he thought she might be the dragon, that's a pointless assurance -- she'll be the dragon. If she's not the dragon, chances are she'll be dead (IF she does go to the Eye, which she has already adamantly said she wants to before this scene). It reads to me like he might already be planning to go to the Eye alone at this point, and is reassuring himself that Egwene will be all right without him. Not that they make it obvious, but he must be using the flame and void when he's shooting the arrows, so you wouldn't expect him to show any emotion at least at that point. 

I can't remember what he says during the triangle scene, and if there are any possible tells there. My feeling is he probably began to realise after machin shin, which was why he was crying when they came out of the gate. The bit before the triangle scene, when Moiraine tells them whoever is not the dragon will die at the Eye, is I think the point he decides he must act on his doubts -- this is the first time there is a definitive consequence to them all going to the Eye, Moiraine's evasive before then. He might not be sure at that point, but he won't allow his friends to die for him. He mulls it over some more, gets his promise from Egwene, and goes over all the reasons it might be him -- but I only think he's completely sure after he speaks to Min.

Making a big deal of Rand and Egwene's relationship now will definitely improve things later on I think. I agree they have much improved Egwene's character in what we've seen so far.
"Rivers are veins of the earth through which the lifeblood returns to the heart."
[Image: thal-banner-scaled.jpg]
 | Sothis Lethe Alethea | Miraseia |

Messages In This Thread
WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Ascendancy - 12-17-2021, 03:16 AM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 12:36 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Nox - 12-17-2021, 12:59 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 06:22 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 07:53 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 08:53 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-17-2021, 10:25 PM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-18-2021, 09:36 AM
RE: WOT on Prime Episode 7 - SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-18-2021, 09:23 PM