This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A Day to Remember
She was right. Evelyn would learn the truth sooner or later, although he preferred later. Yet he wasn't concerned. For one thing, nobody thought to inquire about the circumstances that brought Vellas into the CCD nor how any of those in his command found such positions of power. How in the wide world of the Custody were such individuals located and trained until they were ready to be revealed? It was safe to assume some sort of training facility existed. Look at all the Sickness quarantine camps popped up the last few years. Knowing now that the Sickness was linked to the emergence of channeler abilities, any such camp had the potential to transform into a center of training, whether the individual wanted trained or not. That channelers were forced into training was only a logical development. Why was everyone so surprised?

The dry crackle in her tone was not overlooked, however. "It was not my intent to be condescending. Thank you for your suggestion that we tell the Representative. I will take it into consideration."
Okay, maybe that was condescending. Did she really think him so naive? That perhaps he knew something she did not about Evelyn? That they were plotting together to unite their two nations? No? The child of Eleanor Northbrook did not fathom so nefarious a plan.

Her accusation that he treated soldiers inhumanely burrowed under his skin, though. The immensity of his patience wore thin as her ignorance. "What do you think the military is, Natalie but conditioning men and women? You'll argue that a volunteer enlists knowing what they face, but they don't know. None of them know, and they are trapped by enlistment. Leaving the military, let alone special forces, is not like quitting your job as a waitress. You are told where to live, what to eat, how to speak, stand, and take--"
he cut off the rest of the sentence. Swearing was uncouth. Arnold Francis would roll with laughter to see a girl getting on his nerves where heads of state, presidents, and generals did no such thing.

He took a breath and reset his mind. He wanted something from Natalie, which was why he agreed to engage her at all. He had to return to the task.

"You're very astute to propose that we should form some sort of organization to assist these wild channelers to learning to wield their powers, hone their skills and contribute to society. Do you watch the news? The consulate on channeler oversight is led by Marcus DuBois, who is tasked with organizing just such a tower of responsibility. He will listen to your ideas--"
he started to smile. Marcus would get along well with the girl. Probably more so than Evelyn, despite their bond over channeler rights.

Before he could continue, one of the agents whispered a development in his ear. He listened momentarily, glanced at Alric, but the man's face was impassive, and he nodded. "I'm going myself,"
he answered and stood.

"My attention is required elsewhere. Someone will contact you. I thank you for bringing these concerns to my attention,"
he nodded and departed swiftly.

In the corridor beyond, he was given the details of the explosion in the Facility. His expression smoothed to stone. He supposed it was inevitable.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 01-19-2018, 05:42 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-22-2018, 09:02 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 01-24-2018, 10:59 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-24-2018, 08:54 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 01-25-2018, 10:13 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-25-2018, 10:18 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 01-26-2018, 08:26 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-28-2018, 03:21 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 01-28-2018, 07:38 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 01-28-2018, 10:46 PM
[No subject] - by Natalie Grey - 01-29-2018, 09:54 AM