The First Age

Full Version: Glass Houses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ilesha offered her hand alongside her name, a quaint gesture given their location, but Raffe accepted it anyway, and maybe lingered his palm longer than was strictly necessary. Her attention had dipped momentarily to her phone when he spotted Oriena over her shoulder. It had been months before he'd even realised she, not Carmen, actually owned the place, yet he'd seen her more the past few weeks than he had the whole time he'd worked here. She wended her way through the clientele, catching a number of ardent gazes before dismissing them. Her direction was clear.

She was a predator stretching in her own territory, and her interest honed in. "This is Oriena,"
he said by way of introduction. She only had eyes for Ilesha, her smoky gaze dissecting the girl and examining each piece curiously. "Play nicely,"
he warned her, retrieving a bottle of vodka. "I just told her we don't bite."

But Oriena only laughed.

He poured a measure into a crystal glass and pushed it tinkling towards her, then on consideration left the bottle. By now Claire had finally shown. Raffe grinned roguishly, about to rib her for being late, but changed his mind when he noticed how uncomfortable Ilesha looked -- as well anyone might, when Oriena set her sights. He decided to stick around.

His gaze skipped to Claire. "Beautiful as ever. Working or drinking?"
A hum of laughter left Oriena's throat. The light swam intoxicating, but nothing reciprocal sprung around the girl. Though for a moment, just a moment, her lips had murmured silently, a draw in her gaze. Oriena's fingers circled the offered glass, cold against her palm. Ice clinked as she pressed a taste of vodka to her lips, but she never looked away from the girl opposite.

Sudden touch sent shivers through her skin, magnified by the waves of power flowing through her. Her gaze turned to meet the person who dared; few would, and even fewer would find the gesture tolerated, but upon finding Claire her lips only flickered flames of welcome. Moments later Claire's own name spilled from the new girl's mouth.

"And now she's here,"
Ori said. The girl looked like she wanted to bolt, but remained rooted to her stool. Beside her Raffe leaned on the bar, watching the exchange with the barest hint of curiosity. But it was none of his business. "You're among sisters. Don't look so frightened."
Ilesha let out a curt laugh, that she'd find sisters in a house of burlesque. Not impossible - but for Ilesha to find kin with in the walls of an establishment like this would have been completely out of the question if it were not for the one thing they all shared in common this so called magical power.

Ilesha smiled at Raffe illuminating his previous question as to what she'd meant and then started humming softly under her breath and found the light only off in the distance and embraced its powerful light. It was then she did notice the different colors. Just knowing something was different was enough to show her the way. But Ilesha was no fool, she only pulled upon earth and formed a small metal ring in the palm of her hand. It was something she'd done on any number of occasions. It was a replacement part she'd made for her project at home - refurbishing of one the greatest motorcycles she'd ever seen. They don't make them like they used to. "It's not the company that frightens me. Unfamiliar territory - strange new lands."
Ilesha smiled at Oriena.
Li had been looking for the people at the table in the Almaz for quite a while now. At least for him it was strange being in one place for any period of time. But the world was in such an up roar about Magical beings, Li felt it necessary to stay in Moscow and at least pretend he didn't know any of this had been true. He'd not been to the new headquarters. There was no need. Everything he needed to know was sent through his contacts. And besides he sought underground rings - not gods on the surface of society.

That was hypocritical of him after all, but he'd never tell his brethren such. The ironry that he was one of them. And likely not alone, but that was his secret he bore alone in this world. No one would know his secret - his life depended upon it.

But the underground fight and ended in disaster. The man at the table was one of these gods and he suspected more gods had been present that day. But Li had never encountered one other than himself so he knew nothing of the signs - nothing of those around him who might be dangerous.

Li pulled the linen jacket to adjust the collar again as he stepped into the dim lighting of Kallisti. It had been a while since he'd found himself looking for monsters inside of establishments such as these. But some creatures enjoyed the pleasures of human flesh as much as they enjoyed eating it. Li wondered if the two were the same for them. But he shuddered to think more on it else he might lose what was left of his dinner.

Rumors lead you places. Rumors of wild noises had lead him here. And he smiled when he saw a familiar face standing with other women near the bar. Li sat down several stools from them and closed his eyes to seek the empty calm of his meditation. The power enhanced ones senses and listening here might prove to be useful.

The calmness flowed over his body, into his features and he smiled when the dark light came to his call. He held it in his hands and did nothing more with it. It was like the world had changed - everything was brighter, louder, clearer. It was how the world should be seen. But the power was intoxicating - worse than any drug Li had ever encountered. It was not a toy to play with.

Li waited for the bar tender and ordered a glass of red wine. It wouldn't do to look like he was listening in. His attentions turned towards the stage, but his ears were attuned to the conversation behind him.
Claire winked at Raffe. He was so charming and sweet she had the urge to lick him from his toes to his ears, but of course, their friendship had never gone beyond flirtation befitting Kallisti. He was also far too normal a man for her taste. She preferred toxic souls.

"See?"
Claire smiled as she sauntered into Oriena's shadow. The other woman's presence always dominated but Claire didn't mind. She had her own ambitions.

"Ilesha, this is Oriena, the friend I was telling you about."

She had never brought a stray in before, so she felt the need to explain. "I found her gawking at the monument. Have you seen it yet? It is quite amazing, but I felt nothing, not a single whisper of how it was made."

Ilesha wasn't sure how to answer that question. Even though Raffe was still working she felt a little less open with him gone. He was only a few feet away she could easily see him but these two women staring at her waiting for an answer made her nervous. She felt weak compared to either of them. Ilesha pulled a smile across her lips. "Someone who knows a lot more about what it is I can do. Claire has already pointed out my lack of knowledge."
The the revelation that she couldn't feel what a man did was exactly the information she was looking for.

Ilesha's smile widen. "People who have encountered more interesting things than I have."

Edited by Ilesha, Oct 3 2016, 07:58 AM.
In a semi-meditative state Li watched the stage and listened to the conversation behind him. They were not hiding behind curtains or veils their power. The Ascendancy had made the new gods brave. This was not going to end well. Li only wanted to know what happened to the wolf man who'd escaped the arena that night in the Almaz. Rumors let him here. And he finds more gods with in the walls of this house of Burlesque - he might actually find what he wanted here.

Li turned towards the bar and sipped at his red wine. He wondered what other type of exotic things this house showcased other than the dancers of course.
Claire pretty much accomplished what she set out to do. With Ilesha hooked up with Oriena, her attention was drawn elsewhere. She was suppose to be working after all, and with a single guy unaccompanied at the bar, she decided to go pay a visit. Still within earshot if Oriena wanted her back.

She sauntered to the Asian man. He was handsome, thin and definitely rich. Claire didn't have to fake too much of her coy flirtation this time.

"Hello doll,"

she flashed a crooked smile and slipped into the seat next to him, the toe of her shoe poked him at the ankle.
Li turned towards his latest companion with a smile. He made sure to give the girl a friendly looking over. He didn't leer, this place was far more prestigious than strip clubs. and Li knew the women here wanted far more respect and he had no problem providing them such.

Li wasn't able to pay attention to the conversation as well as he'd like, but maybe his new found friend could shed some light. "Darling, can I buy you a drink?"
He waved for the bartender if she didn't want one he could use a refill.
Claire nodded and waved at Raffe. "A shot, Raff."
He would know to pour her a shot that was essentially free of alcohol. That way she could drink with customers all night and never get drunk. It was a little trade secret. She blew the pretty man a kiss and turned back to Li, draping her arm around his shoulders. "What's your name? And so you don't have to call me cutesie names, I'm Claire, but I don't mind the cutsie names."

"Anyone catch your eye tonight? Or just little old me?

Pages: 1 2 3 4