The First Age

Full Version: Assassin's Fate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone else here love Robin Hobb as much as I do?

My local bookshop made the most glorious mistake on Saturday and allowed me to collect a copy of Assassin's Fate five days before it's supposed to be published.

I'm torn between devouring it as quickly as possible and not daring to read it because it's finally the end. Agh!
Not read it. But then again i've not read much in a while.

But you know you have to read it... endings suck! But gotta know.
The Fitz books were the ones that finally broke my prejudice towards fantasy books that use 1st person narrative (I have no idea why, but I always found it off-putting 0_o). They're great! One of the few I would bother to reread.
Urban fantasy typically writes first person (and my preference for writing) ... I'm not sure I've read much straight up fantasy with first person *trying to think of one*
Urban fantasy or sci-fi in 1st person never bothered me. I think maybe it was the assumption that fantasy might lose that feeling of "epic" by being filtered through the perspective of one character.

Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns trilogy is 1st person fantasy. N K Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy (really good). Pierce Brown's Red Rising books, though maybe more space fantasy than straight up. Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles is highly rated, though it's still on my TBR pile. Carey's Kushiel series is also supposed to be good.