The First Age
The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Printable Version

+- The First Age (https://thefirstage.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Moscow (https://thefirstage.org/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Greater Moscow and the Golden Ring (https://thefirstage.org/forums/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow (/thread-965.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Ashavari - 08-29-2018

Mik winked out like a snuffed candle, and though she blinked as the glass floated towards his hand, she didn't seem startled either. She was still trying to piece together a picture from what he said when Rowan spilled the cards on the table. Asha's gaze drew down, curious to watch as they were upturned one by one with a flourish.

When her turn came, she blushed furiously. She told herself the reading was vague enough to slot in whatever meaning she chose to give it, but it didn't stop her mind readily filling in the blanks. Elias. It was the nature of her gift to form fast bonds with people. El stuck around even though he didn't have to; pulled her from a sea of people when she nearly drowned. He'd been irritated that she hadn't told him sooner how he could help. But it wasn't like that. She didn't think Elias would be able to hide it from her. And sometimes she was glad he could not sense her emotions in kind.

Partners in crime. He would probably bristle at that.

Tobias pressed his hand against her knee, sending a flood of reassurance even through the barrier of her jeans. Not that he knew it, though she was surprised he took the chance after her whispered apology. It filled her up like an overspilled cup, and finally brought her a sense of ease in these strange surroundings.

"Just because they haven't yet, doesn't mean they won't," she said to Rowan. It was not a warning as such, but it was offered in earnest. The woman's confidence was infectious, clouded by the arrogance Tobias pointed out, and she wouldn't wish to see it make her vulnerable. "My uncle always told me not to tell others what I was, because I am something they choose to hunt. They aren't all bad people, though. And there are real monsters out there. Things you'd be glad to know they protect us from."

The interest made her feel exposed, but mostly Asha was an open book. She didn't feel special, and -- though she'd never trade it -- her gift was mostly a liability. It was a constant drain, aside from among those who had the power. Her head titled, considering. "You don't channel when you do that."

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Mikhail - 08-30-2018

The smoke from the splif curled lazily into the air. He watched Rowan talk. Mostly, though, he watched Asha and Tobias' reactions. He was defensive, almost unnaturally so, as if he were hiding something. Which he probably was. I mean, who wasn't? Not like Mik didn't layer himself about with lies and deceptions.

But for some reason, Rowan having access didn't bother him as much. Maybe it was because she was so naively transparent about her power and what she wanted to do. She was an open book, as far as he was concerned. Which meant she'd be easier to manipulate. She might see through his lies, of course. But he didn't think it meant he couldn't use her desires to push her down the road he felt like going.

Which was nowhere for now. Just watching and learning.

The card trick really didn't do anything for him. It was like horoscopes. One chick he'd dated for a week or three had been religious about it. . "Ooooo....something bad is gonna happen this year." Guess what, giriie. Something bad usually happens at least once a year. Especially with 'bad' being vague and shit. "You will meet someone interesting." And? You meet interesting people everyday! The self serving ones were the dumbest. "You have a great amount of untapped potential that no one knows about yet!" Yeah, like there was a human on earth who'd say, "Yeah, you know what? I don't think I do. I think I'm good."

As far as he could tell it was the same thing. Course, being himself he wasn't exactly mister super tactful. She didn't care for his opinions all that much. Nor did he really care.

Hey, at least that one horoscope of hers was right. "You will face those who don't believe in you, but you will overcome them." (As if that couldn't be more vague!) Haha! He had helped her fulfill the reading! Yay for Mik!

So anyway, what was going on? That's right, these card readings. Xander had seemed put off by them. Asha though, he focused on her. She was blushing something fierce as the cards turned. A slight smile formed on his lips. If he had to guess, it was the Lovers card. Ok, maybe not a slight smile. He knew better than to confuse mousy with lack or hunger or passion. Still, it did make him laugh inside. Dearest Fate, please oh please, give me the magics to see the images that make her blush so red! 

Whatever else you could say about this stuff, it was great for getting a read on people. Probably why it was used in the first place. See, if Mik was doing it, he would have read enough in their reactions to know what questions to ask next. Tobias was more guarded, as if he was used to hiding. Enough, though, that he still had an idea. Asha, though, yeah, he knew how he woulda proceeded.

And then the lady revealed herself with the last of Asha's words, pushing all further thought of her as lover out of his mind. "You know of them?! Tell me about them! Sorry. Please tell me. What things do they hunt?"

This was one area he was sorely poor in. These Atharim.

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Rowan Finnegan - 08-31-2018

Tobias was the first to address her; Rowan wasn’t surprised about that. He challenged the idea of the way she lived. Rowan smiled warmly and turned her palms up in the air as if to shrug, “Was it not the Ascendancy that said he would protect all of the Channelers? To ‘come to the CCD’ as he said? I have heard the risks, dear sir, and I shall live with them. New Orleans Voodoo, at least how Marie Laveau saw it, was all about showmanship. She was a free woman of color in her time, did you know that? She did not hide who she was, in a time when her people were regularly enslaved. That brought challenges, Tobias, but they were all well worth it. She is my idol. The time of change is now, Tobias; we are fortunate enough to ride upon her waves through the New Age.”

Rowan scooped the cards up once more and shuffled them about, casting out one card before Tobias.

The Queen of Cups.

“The Queen of Cups can manifest as a person in your life or as a part of your past. She often appears as a mature female. She is often like a mirror, reflecting the hidden depths of others back to them, so they can see their own mysteries for themselves,” Rowan gazed up into Tobias’ eyes and purred out, “Who is this wise woman in your past? She’s obviously made a great impact, dumpling. A witch? A sister of the craft? Yes. I think so. You may act ignorant, child, but you have seen the higher mysteries. There was a witch in your past, an old woman, a wise woman. Deny it if you like, but she is there, plain as day.”

“Colors? Do you read auras, then? A fine gift of the Goddess. Arrogance, yes, but we all sin. Mine are just apparent. I do not deny who I am. Would you rather I cloud my identity with lies and falsehoods?” Rowan asked with all sweetness and sugar. She meant no offense, but facts were facts. She felt a proud lioness in the jungle, let those who would challenge come. The power of the Loa was apparent, and Rowan had supreme access. So long as she called upon them, she would be protected; and so would all of those that sought sanctuary in her café. There was no doubt in Rowan’s mind. Papa Legba, Erzulie, Chango, they would all come to her aid if need be.

Asha finally spoke up, almost sounding defensive over her birthright. “Child, I think you’re foolin’ yourself. It’s already there. Look here,” Rowan smoothly sang as she flicked a tarot card at Asha. It floated over by unseen hands, landing face down in her lap. With a flick of Rowan’s wrist, the card twisted over to reveal it’s other face.

The King of Swords.

Rowan smirked and went on, “The King of Sword’s character indicated the stern leadership of a judge, lawyer, or military commander whose emotions must be kept in check under the pressure of battle. This advisor has a solid reputation and a vast amount of knowledge in his particular field and will provide you with objective, well-researched advice about your own situation. It is impossible to corrupt him and as such he acts as a pillar of strength who gives sound advice to everyone, no matter who they are,” she twisted her wrist again and dragged the card back through the air and to her hand, “Your uncle. He was a just man and responsible for the woman you have become… Hmmm… A matriarchal and patriarchal figure in both your pasts… Seems the two of you have more in common than you thought... Still think I'm faking it, poopsies?”

With a final flick of her left wrist, Rowan brought Tobias’ card back to her deck and shuffled once more. Mik finally snapped out of his thoughts and Rowan listened. She looked to Asha and said, “Yes, if you know of them, it would be beneficial to the Tribe. I am sure most Channelers don’t want to make an enemy of them… The better we can protect… Well… It would be good karma, darling.”

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Xander - 08-31-2018

Xander snorted. "How is the Ascendancy going to protect you and me from monsters that lurk in the night ready to kill us in a heart beat? He's not here. Please tell me you've never heard the stories of the kids who vanish in the middle of the night. The ones with the sickness. Or the ones where they find whole families dead when only one of them had the sickness. Tell me, Ms. Voodoo Priestess, where was he then? Just because your people are out in the public doesn't make you or any of the rest of us safer. They are fucking everywhere. Their home, used to be in that mansion that burnt to the ground. They lived in this very city right under the Ascendancy's nose and he did nothing to stop them. He says they've attacked him before and yet he still hasn't done anything about them. You're hope is sorely misplaced. And all you do with flinging your cards about on wings of air is point a big red target on you and anyone associated with you. Here I am. Come shoot me in the head." This was why he avoided the snakes. Wherever they were death followed.

He growled as he continued to lecture him. "Anyone ever tell you, you talk too much? I never said you were a fake. I said you were showy and arrogant. And if that's you then so be it, but I don't think so. Then again looking at this place maybe that's exactly what you are some rich little girl who has had the world handed to her on a silver platter. Don't care what all this showiness does for anyone else she's trying to help."

Xander would leave if he had come alone, but he'd made a promise and his word was his only binding agreement. Xander took a deep breath and downed the last of his coffee. He needed to get gone soon. He was sorely out of character, showing too much of himself. Tobias was not volatile - that was all Xander. She spoke about things she knew nothing about. There was nothing here worth the grift and Xander didn't need the exposure she was going to set just buy her little display alone. "But don't listen to me. Maybe Asha can scare you with all the death they deal in. She was after all raised by one." It hadn't been hard to connect the dots. Why she looked like them but without the death. Her uncle was one - an Atharim. Xander still didn't know what she was. He sat back and closed his eyes and took a deep breath. These two women were making a mess of him and for two completely different reasons. What the fuck?

Xander rested his hand between himself and Asha palm up, if she need whatever she needed from him she could take it. A few more deep breaths and sat up and smiled. "All I see is death when I look at those snakes. Images of monsters that would scare the fuck out of anyone, and death after death. Their deaths are usually gruesome and horrid and that's all I see in them." He reached for the pot in front of him. Tobias would partake and right now Xander needed to calm the fuck down.

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Ashavari - 08-31-2018

There was no telling her, and Asha was not the argumentative sort, so she said nothing to the monologue that followed. Rowan was genuine, but smothered in too much showy artifice to make Asha truly comfortable in her presence. She condescended like a goddess on high to mere mortals who ought to be grateful for the attention, like the recognition somehow plucked them from obscurity.

She called her child

Asha realised too late that the growing ball of anger was not her own, and by that time it had exploded from Tobias's lips, swallowing Mik's earnest question and Rowan's supreme confidance in a raging storm. 

The hands that had been on her lap squeezed tight between her knees now. It probably didn't help that his was now the only energy of the room, leaving no real retreat from that lashing wind. She hunched a little like it was a physical pain, though it wasn't; she just didn't want to get swept up by it. There wasn't exactly a sense she could block to numb the feeling. It just had to be weathered. 

Though if Rowan snapped back; god, if she dropped her hold on her power, Asha didn't think she'd be able to cope. Not without an anchor. 

Her head dipped into her hands. Her heart raced. It was too much stimulus for one body. "I didn't know it at the time. He's not even my uncle, not by blood. My parents thought I was a curse. I guess he disagreed. We parted ways eventually though." The very way she said it it was clear there was a painful story behind that, and not one she was particularly able to articulate right now even if she'd been inclined.

She thought of Aria's journals and of the coffee table manual; of the sea monsters Elias chased; of Nox's kindness and the paradox that was his existence. She'd spent her whole life trying to catch a glimpse beneath the veil, but she'd never really understood the depth of the strange world she chased until Moscow.

Her gaze fell. Tobias held his hand open like an invitation. The trust made her feel strangely safe, though he was still far too tumultuous to risk that kind of connection right now. He didn't want to be here, which made her wonder why he stayed. Something flashed like darting fish in a pool, but he was too wound up to really puzzle it out without straying too deep. She nudged him with her arm, a fleeting connection. "Neither of us are going to convince her. Please don't let it rile you," she murmured.

He'd promised he wouldn't let anything happen to her; was that really the reason he stayed? He'd tamped the frustration down but she could still feel it simmering as he reached for the pot. And no wonder considering the things he saw. Her uncle had protected her from that; the sharpness with which she knew she'd feel another's death would have sent her insane long ago otherwise. Seeing it unbidden must be no fun either. But she didn't know how to offer comfort. Except that if she sensed he truly wished to leave, she would go with him.

For now she glanced back up at Mik. "Fanatical zealots. That's what Nox told me. They hunt anything that's different, things you would probably call myths. But some of them are different themselves. I guess that muddies the waters a bit."

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Mikhail - 09-04-2018

He'd say this about Rowan. Well ok. He'd say a lot things about her. From the toothy smile to the smokey eyes. But in this case, he'd say this. she was a showman for sure 

She had power and loved being dramatic. He totally got it. Like how she scared the shit out of Tobias. Oh he covered like he was mad and all, but he was talkin way to much for it not to be anythis else.

But Asha seemed to stiffen and shrink in on herself. Well head in hand, actually. Mik felt a little bad for her and on impulse leaned forward and gave her a friendly grin. Another time he might tease her. But the shit did its work and he was relaxed. On impulse he held out the joint. 

"Here. It'll take the edge off." He paused....His tone was gentle."Can you tell me more about them, Asha?"

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Rowan Finnegan - 09-05-2018

Rowan waved a hand, exasperatedly through the air, as Xander went on. She intended to get a reaction out of one of them, if not both. How others deal with shock, pressure, and foreign environments said a lot about who they were as a person. It was not her intention to anger either of them, but Rowan did tend to lay it on a little thick sometimes… especially when she had a never-ending glass of red wine. Taking a deep breath, she softened herself a little.

Poor Asha over there looking like a wilting violet. At the very least, she wanted to make sure she made the only other lady in the room comfortable. Time to lay the honey on, not to mention the things that were now coming out of their mouths. They were starting to talk about serious things; the cards had done their trick… Well, whether or not it was the cards didn’t matter, what mattered now was the information.

With a soft expression and less passion in her voice, Rowan looked to Tobias, “Yes, sweetling, I do talk a lot. And if you’re not going to leave because of my ignorance, well, you better get used to the gabbing,” She chuckled to herself over it all, “Do forgive, by the way, but I stand by my convictions. At least with my kind, the Ascendancy has done us all the favor by outing the Tribe from the proverbial Broom Closet. I understand these fanatics have been hunting my kind… Well, I was brought up a literal witch before I could even truly touch magic. I also grew up on all the old stories of Salem and the Inquisition before that. Forgive me, Tobias, but it has never been safe for my kind; this is not new information. And yes, I do come from money. Which means I happen to know that public persona is everything. If our Tribe becomes sympathetic to the Masses, they would abhor any wrongdoings by these ‘Atharim.’ That takes time, yes, and I may be dead before I see that day; but I intend it to be a reality. So, I will spend whatever time the Goddess has given me on this floating rock to try and make a better future. Take it for arrogance, because, yes, it is that in a way; but someone has to try, otherwise what are you doing with your life?”

Rowan was well out of breath, she downed the rest of her fairly-full glass within two large gulps. With a swift arm, she reached for the bottle, poured another glass and downed half of that one. She slid the crystal glass onto the table and sat back with a smile, “Sorry… I tend to get carried away sometimes… I think I’ve done a fair amount of talking, and you must at least get an idea where my mind is at… So, I will gladly listen to anything and everything either of you have to say,” She looked over to Asha, again feeling a pang of guilt over causing a fuss, and probably not doing anything to help it with her recent monologue, “Asha, dear, I am so sorry. Despite my religion, I never thought I’d actually perform cinema grade magical effects… I’m more amenable than you think. That is if you’re still willing to speak. Please accept my apologies.”

She really did feel bad, but it was hard denying who she was… especially with a belly full of wine. Rowan was used to more light-hearted company, this all would have gone so much differently if she had just felt things out first; the success of the Voodoo ritual head left her heady and sloppy. Not to mention the fact that her little parlor tricks and her buffet usually did the trick to woo her guests, but these two were cut from different bits of cloth. Rowan would try to behave herself, but oh, it was so hard sometimes…

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Xander - 09-05-2018

Asha's words made Xander think. He took a deep breath and calmed himself even as he took the joint from Mik. He gave him a friendly nod and drew long on the weed. That was one big difference between here and there - vending machines on the fucking corner filled with non-addictive drugs. It made a killing, if only Xander had that knack to sell. Though that would be legal and not every entertaining. Not that this was entertaining.

She went on again and Xander tried not to zone in on it. Did he really care? Not really. He handed the joint back to the other man. It might have been bad form to not offer Asha any but he was fairly sure he knew the answer. He let the drag take away the rough edges. But he didn't need more. One hit would be enough and he could be a lightweight and get back into character - at least a little.

Tobias was not volatile he reminded himself. Xander let himself calm down as he leaned against the back again staring at the ceiling. He would listen to Asha if she wanted to speak. He'd calm down because he had a feeling he was causing her to shrink inside her. His aura was mixed in there with everything else, he saw it. He didn't know why, didn't really care, but he could at least keep himself in check. But to do that he was going to have to ignore the talkative girl who was getting under his skin.

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Ashavari - 09-07-2018

Mik leaned in, offered the joint snared between his fingers, unaware that she didn't need to press it to her lips to feel the affects swimming through her veins. Tobias saved her the awkwardness of a polite decline by plucking it free instead. She offered Mik a small smile, dizzy with the righteousness of Rowan's speech.

"Not for me," she said by way of explanation. Everything began to mellow. Little bubbles of Rowan's remorse popped against Asha's skin, alongside an itch of her frustration. Tobias was silent. "You don't need to apologise to me. Really, it's okay." Scrutiny rested on her shoulders, her true discomfort masked by the unwinding relaxation of her muscles. She sat back into the cushions, her dark eyes bouncing between the three, and shrugged. "What else do you want to know? I don't know much. Not about who they are or how they work. I just know they're dangerous."

RE: The Voodoo Queen of Greater Moscow - Mikhail - 09-14-2018

Mik shrugged at Asha's decline. Tobias was game, though, and took a hit before passing it back. Mik had another and then offered to Rowan. The haze wasn't heavy but the room seemed to relax, like all of them were settling back to enjoy the back and forth.

Strangely, despite her refusal, Asha's own eyes appeared to have that tell-tale glassy look too. Rowan's shit was good and strong, but there was not enough floating around the room for a contact high. She seemed more....sedate too, sinking into the cushions.

Mik had to be careful with his intake. He wanted to be coherent. He was a few drinks in and now this. Slurring words was not attractive at all. Nor was talking like moron. He was glad of the power he was holding. Made him more aware of his surroundings. Helped dispel the fog. Well mostly.

He looked at her, considering her offer. She was an odd duck. By that I mean, willing to talk, but only answer in vagueries. Then again, not like she knew them or owed them anything. He didn't expect her to go on about her uncle or her parents. He wouldn't have, situations reversed and alla that, you know?

He nodded. "Alrighty, doll. I gotcha. Dangerous. That's the word I keep hearing. So maybe tell me what you mean by different? Do you mean different like Rowan here says you two are different? Different like Rowan and I are different? All of the above?"

He leaned back and lazily wove a circle of flame the size of his palm in front of him, spinning like a disk, then added another spinning in opposite directions. Touch of earth and air....and there, different colors, pulsing a slow and relaxed heart beat. Easy peasy. "Yeah, don't want some robed sons-of-bitches coming after me just because I can do that," he said mildly. And then a small smile as he winked at her. "You sure don't look like any curse I ever saw. Or any monster, for that matter."

The rhythmic pulsing of the threads was hypnotic. It didn't DO anything. But it did amuse him. He looked at Asha again, just the mild question in his eyes. And the offer. She could be open if she wanted to be.