This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

We Don't Want To Anger Morven
(07-03-2024, 01:06 AM)Matías Wrote: The mention of the Atharim drew a wry smile to Matias's lips. He had heard whispers of this organization, shadowy figures who hunted those like him, but in the chaos of his homeland, they had been more myth than reality. There were far greater dangers than magical boogeymen. Here, it seemed, they were a real and present danger.

"Your warning about the Atharim is noted," Matias said, his voice terse, professionalism barely contained. "In my experience, those who wield the Power often face threats from many fronts. But to know there is an organized force dedicated to our destruction is... enlightening."

He shifted his position, his posture relaxed but his eyes alert, taking in every detail of Michael's demeanor and surroundings. The mention of monsters caught his attention next, particularly the Ijiraq.

"I have seen many dangers in my homeland," he began, his tone measured. "but they are the evil of mortal men. Yet aberrations, as you call them, are not unknown to me. There are creatures in the wilds of Mexico, things that defy explanation, whose stories are passed down as tall tales to frighten children. The Tlahuelpuchi that sucks the blood of infants, the malevolent sorcerer Nagual who can shift its form from human to animal to hunt its prey. But the Ijiraq... that is new. If even the Ascendancy had trouble with one, it must be formidable indeed. I would be interested to learn more about it, and any other threats you consider significant. These are knowledges that my master will value.”

Matias paused, considering his next words carefully. He had come with his own goals, his own desires, and now was the time to voice them.

"I did not come here to sit in classrooms, as you rightly guessed. My Power is as it is, but it can always be refined, improved. I seek to understand its limits and its potential. Practical knowledge, not just theory. Techniques that have been proven in the field, not just in the safety of a training ground. To fight and defend, especially under duress.”

He leaned forward slightly, his gaze intense. "I want to learn how to wield my Power with precision and efficiency. To understand the nuances that can make the difference in life-and-death situations. And if there are secrets you hold, knowledge that is not freely shared, I am willing to earn it. Power, after all, comes to those who are willing to seek it, and pay its price."

Matias’ expression was unreadable, though that could easily be the mask of one hiding his pain. He had laid his cards on the table, and now it was up to Michael to respond… if he could.

Michael wanted to laugh. He might just like the man after all. Matias was prickly, but he had been sent into a foreign state and met someone who he had faced before as an enemy. Yet the thirst for knowledge was clear, as was his sense of honour. He had been unyielding and downright sullen and spoke now of earning knowledge. 

It was very much like the first meetings he had the Nikolai Brandon.

Michael hoped that they could work better than he and Nikolai did, but first thing was first. 

"You will be granted your chance, Matias," he replied calmly. "As soon as you have settled, I will have a test arranged for you.

He held up a placating hand if the man wanted to protest being tested. "It would be remiss of me to take you hunting without knowing if you are capable, but if it eases your mind, this test will be dangerous. Our scientists study some of the horrors you have spoken of. You will face one of them alone. Just you and the creature in its cage. I will not intervene unless absolutely necessary, and even then these creatures can do irreparable damage. Does this sound an agreeable start?"
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

Messages In This Thread
We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Michael Vellas - 03-09-2024, 09:29 AM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Ninacska - 03-11-2024, 02:29 AM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Ninacska - 03-19-2024, 10:56 PM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Matías - 03-20-2024, 03:36 PM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Ninacska - 03-20-2024, 03:57 PM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Ninacska - 03-25-2024, 01:01 AM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Matías - 03-26-2024, 01:12 AM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Matías - 03-30-2024, 01:45 AM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Matías - 04-04-2024, 11:50 PM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Morven - 06-20-2024, 08:25 PM
RE: We Don't Want To Anger Morven - by Matías - 07-03-2024, 01:06 AM