This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

On Matters of Succession
  “For a start? Your Ajah. My Light blasted Father would warm quicker to a Red if he has any idea as to where I ran after fleeing his estates. I wager he knew about it the moment I stepped onto the Farm. Why, I would bet my last coin against the Dark One on that,” Merdyn said lightly with a shrug of his shoulders. The woman’s plan wasn’t all bad, but there were far too many holes in it.

Far too many.

With a twitch of her shawl, Vivienne Sedai gave him a suffering look, “The Three Oaths will not allow me to make such a claim. Do you suggest to use your little tricks to throw your own voice and speak the words for me? I thought not.”

Merdyn was shaking his head vigorously, “There are many ways to proclaim yourself, you don’t have to outright say you’re Red, but if you come in wearing a red fringed shawl…?”

“Assumptions and half-truths are all well and good, but I would rather not take that risk. I’ve heard it said your Father has grown paranoid these past months. What do you think he would do should he suspect me of deception?” Vivienne asked coolly. Letto, the female Warder, grunted as if in agreement. Merdyn ignored the silly chit. She may be here to protect the Aes Sedai, true, but that did not give her a say in this matter no matter how she wore that scowl.

“Fine, fine,” Merdyn said impatiently, throwing up his hands, “He does not like Aes Sedai period, so you may be right on that front. What will you do if he turns you away?”

Vivienne was silent.

Thought so, Merdyn thought to himself with a wry grin. If he was not mistaken, the Aes Sedai had even stiffened her back slightly. Let her stew in that for a moment.

The silence seemed to stretch on for a time until the Aes Sedai finally broke it with a near whisper, “He will not turn me away.”

“How can your Three Oaths let you say something like that when you do not know,” Merdyn asked seriously. The woman sounded far too confident.

“Because I have met your Father many times,” Vivienne said with a sudden seriousness painting her face.

This time it was Merdyn’s turn to stop short in their walk through the Palace. Vivienne halted as soon as he did, almost as if she had anticipated this reaction. Merdyn turned completely to stare at her, ignoring the palace servants that were rushing away; no doubt they thought an Aes Sedai and an Asha’man were about to come to blows in the Palace itself. Fools. Merdyn Gilyard was a proud Andoran through and through. He would never disrespect the Daughter-Heir and his country by behaving in such a manner. Still. It was probably better to find themselves alone for this conversation. No doubt tongues were already wagging about the three of them marching down the hallways in a cone of silence.

“You’re mad. My Father would never-“

Vivienne held up a hand forestalling him. Merdyn’s tongue knotted in his mouth as he bit off the last of what he had been about to say. The Aes Sedai carried on in cool, serious tones.

“Before the Daughter-Heir returned to the Palace in Camelyn, I occupied my time with the common folk and seeing to their needs. The City was in a downward spiral before the late Queen departed and even more so once the Dragon Reborn came to court. There was no one else to do it. I have treated with your Father more than once. He has helped me considerably in securing grain for the city and providing work to some of the less fortunate,” Vivienne said as Merdyn shook his head in disbelief.

“Aes Sedai, are you quite sure we are speaking of the same man?” Merdyn asked incredulously. There was no way, but she could not speak any word that was untrue. He would have to speak with his own eyes and ears, clearly, there was much that they had left out in their reports to him.

Russian Dolls and Broken Gods, a new Fantasy novel by best-selling author, Aiden Finnegan, out this December! Preorder online and instore today!

Messages In This Thread
On Matters of Succession - by Aiden Finnegan - 12-19-2018, 06:32 AM
RE: On Matters of Succession - by Rowan Finnegan - 12-19-2018, 06:39 AM
RE: On Matters of Succession - by Siobhan West - 12-20-2018, 01:42 AM
RE: On Matters of Succession - by Aiden Finnegan - 01-05-2019, 10:39 PM
RE: On Matters of Succession - by Rowan Finnegan - 02-02-2019, 07:32 AM
RE: On Matters of Succession - by Siobhan West - 02-12-2019, 04:37 AM
RE: On Matters of Succession - by Aiden Finnegan - 05-24-2020, 01:22 AM
RE: On Matters of Succession - by Rowan Finnegan - 05-24-2020, 02:23 AM
RE: On Matters of Succession - by Aiden Finnegan - 08-20-2021, 12:37 AM
RE: On Matters of Succession - by Rowan Finnegan - 08-20-2021, 01:35 AM