This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Luck (almost)
[Image: thiefrune.jpg]

The pain sprung tears to her eyes, and yet she stared a long time, motionless. She couldn’t fathom how something had burned her under the water, but that wasn’t the particular strangeness to capture her attention. The wound circled in a strange pattern, like the spokes of a wheel. She wriggled her fingers and winced. The fact it hurt was probably a good thing; it meant there were still working nerves beneath the burned flesh. That was about where the good news ended, though.

She struggled back into her jeans and boots with her one good hand, tightening the laces as much as she could and tucking in the ends. Her gaze strayed time and again to the river, like a siren beckoned from the deep. A nestle of power? She didn’t understand, but it charmed her anyway, the curiosity narrowing her eyes until pain cut her short. She needed a pharmacy at least, maybe a hospital. Though how she was going to explain the injury was anyone’s guess.

Reluctantly she marked the location on her phone, letting temptation snare one last time with the crazy urge to go back down there. Then she gathered her things.

The trudge back was less pleasant with the distraction of her hand pulsing agony like a heartbeat. Her damp skin cooled uncomfortable, chafing with every movement. Even the murmur of some silly song laboured to steal her attention to something pleasant. She concentrated on one foot after the other. And not tripping over her own laces. 

Time trickled onwards, until she realised her legs were beginning to ache.

“Did you fall in the river?”

Thalia spun to a voice behind, genuine surprise widening her eyes. She knew she’d have to traipse past the cottage, of course, but hadn’t intended to impose upon its hospitality again. If Eha thought her an odd apple before, the state of her now was hardly going to endear her further. Mud streaked her skin, her hair a ratty mess from the river water. “Ah. Well. Something like that.” She hazarded a rueful smile.

Paint flecked Koit’s hair and forearms, which were folded against his chest. His gaze followed the path she had emerged from before it settled on her, but Thalia was peering beyond to the freshly painted cottage walls, pleased to see the job finished. “You went the wrong way for town,” he said. “Knew you’d have to come back this way.” His eyes narrowed with something that might have been suspicion, but also might have just been natural stoicism. Since she didn’t have any reasonable explanation to offer, she only nodded.

“I’m headed back now,” she offered after a moment’s silence. Her head tilted, uncertain why he’d stopped her. Usually the diversion would have been welcome, but even if curiosity rippled, the throb of her injury caused the greater wave. Hesitation lingered before she lifted her palm, aware it would only create more strange questions.  “Actually, I had a bit of an accident.”

Messages In This Thread
Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-18-2019, 10:34 AM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-20-2019, 08:25 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 05-03-2019, 07:10 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 05-09-2019, 09:28 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 10-27-2019, 07:00 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 03-09-2020, 03:01 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 03-14-2020, 06:45 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-15-2020, 08:05 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-15-2020, 08:59 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Patricus I - 04-16-2020, 09:32 PM