This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Luck (almost)
He told the tale while they walked, of the mysterious woman on the lake, vanished before the boat reached shoreline. It was a folk song, actually, though he would not sing it to her no matter how she coaxed. Those purple eyes haunted the boatman to his death. Still, it passed the time and distracted her from their destination -- and from that prickly feeling in her stomach. Koit was perfectly matter-of-fact about it, but there was nothing normal here. The cuts and scrapes opened overnight itched now, a constant reminder. A buzz of fear was mounting like the steady footsteps of an old friend growing closer. Her stomach turned.

Koit’s hand reached to steady her when she tripped in the undergrowth. Thalia braved a smile, though it felt like the expression surfaced through an oil slick. He frowned. It wasn’t like it was the first time he’d looked at her as if she was something strange, but this time she blinked away from the scrutiny.

An ending comes an ending comes.

“My mother is…” he said after a moment. “Well, you should know she lives where she lives for a reason.”

“And you?”

He didn’t answer. 

The clearing had not changed, but a shiver crept over her skin, prickling like an ice wind. Thalia folded her arms about herself, lip caught between her teeth. Her hand throbbed anew. The call from the water was faded, like the echo of something old. She pointed and shrugged. He was going to think her mad (probably he already did), and she had not fully considered following a stranger into the forest. Another item to add to the list of things not to admit to Aylin.

Koit dumped his rucksack in the grass and ran a hand over his short hair.

Thalia sat abruptly, pulling her knees into her chest. Her hair sat tangled on her shoulders, like she was a creature coaxed from the forest itself. Her companion asked no questions, and she was not even remotely sure why he had insisted on coming here. “I drew this place,” she admitted suddenly. “Months ago. Most likely from a dream I don’t even remember having. There are other places I will find. And faces belonging to people I’ve never met. And worse.” It flooded out, and with it a sense of relief. She did not enjoy secrets.

Strain pulled Koit’s gaze. He did think this was crazy, she could see that in his expression. But he only nodded.

Messages In This Thread
Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-18-2019, 10:34 AM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-20-2019, 08:25 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 05-03-2019, 07:10 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 05-09-2019, 09:28 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 10-27-2019, 07:00 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 03-09-2020, 03:01 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 03-14-2020, 06:45 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-15-2020, 08:05 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Thalia - 04-15-2020, 08:59 PM
RE: Luck (almost) - by Patricus I - 04-16-2020, 09:32 PM