This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Tuatha De Cycle: The Spear of Assal
It had been about four days since Lugh and his entourage had returned to the Hill of Tara. He had shown remarkable restrain during those four days, allowing Gobain and his family to get adjusted to their new life, and also allowing Brigid to settle back into her normal affairs about Court. Despite her protests, Lugh was all but certain that she had missed interacting with and living amongst her peers. The High Council never had to track her down – she was usually waiting for them in the Hall at first light, badgering them with questions and offering her own opinions freely.

The High Council had been shocked over the events that had transpired, but several of the Councilors had remarked on their distrust of Uscias. He had been Healed, of course, and tucked neatly away into the dungeons. The collar seemed to prevent him from using the Light on his own, but not much more. He refused to speak at present and the Council had not given Lugh the clearance needed to use the Compelling weave; not the Lugh would be performing it.

Gobain had shockingly brought in Esras to work for him just the day before. Kerr’gan had been peacocking about the Hill ever since – never seen working at his own forge. The man’s wardrobe was starting to get out of hand. Opulence was a grand thing when it came to members of the Court, but one could only take that so far before it was considered vulgar. Kerr’gan had officially passed that line a hundred-fold. Esras affected not to notice the constant strutting, but Lugh was fairly certain that the man raged inside.

Lugh had done nothing to curb the behavior, of course. The rest of the Court would see to that in due time. There were larger fish to fry. Lugh finally had Gobain under his roof – it was time to see what the blacksmith could produce.

There were several smitheries under the Hill, although not all had been in use. Gobain’s had never been relighted since his first departure, so it had proved an easy transition for him. Áine had been reunited with her mother and father the same night of their rescue, and the child proved to be just as rambunctious as Lugh remembered. She had taken up quickly with Lugh’s own daughter, Ebliu. The pair were quickly becoming known for their pranks on the servants. Both had been reprimanded, of course, but it seemed that they were quickly beginning to turn their attention to the Dagda instead.

The light from Gobain’s forge cast a warm haze upon the fourth level of the Hill, in fact, many that resided on that level had started to talk about the hypnotic rhythms of Gobain’s hammer. Many a person went on about how easy it was to fall asleep to such hammering.

Lugh walked up into Gobain’s yard; the man had his back turned as he sharpened a blade at an automated grindstone. He was not using the Light, of course, but one of the many Standing Flows that had been installed in the Hill. A small armory was beginning to form within Gobain’s yard – an armory of Heartstone. One of Lugh’s questions had been answered at the sight of the many bone-white blades; a satisfied smirk spread across his face.

“Master Gobain, do you have a moment to spare?” Lugh called out as he drew closer to the man’s working form.

Gobain stopped his grinding and straightened in his seat. He placed the blade down upon the ground and rose, turning and bowing to Lugh. He signaled Gobain to rise after an appropriate moment and gestured for the man to continue his work. Lugh walked over to the grindstone and turned to face Gobain.

“I assume you know why I’ve come calling?” Lugh asked as he gazed down upon one of his Dagda.

“Aye. I’ve discussed the principles with my mother and we both think that it will work. She proposed Linking, but I think that will cause the process to fail. Do you know of the Void?” Gobain spoke seriously, his eyes boring holes into Lugh’s own heart.

“The calm? Yes, I think so. You mean so long as we are both within that state, we will be able to coordinate our Talents together? I’ve often thought it would require such synchronicity,” Lugh went on with a knowing smile, “I do believe we may be of the same mind on this matter.”

“Indeed, your Radiance, I must agree. Do you have a sketch of the design required?”

Lugh reached into his side pouch and withdrew the spearhead and handed it over to Gobain, “I’ve decided to call this the ‘Spear of Assal.’ It is yours for completing this request.”

“But this is not Assal’s spearhead? Kerr’gan brags about the making of this – and it was not I that completed it for him,” Gobain replied seriously.

“No, but the manner in which I used it reminds me of Assal. Latch on to it with a flow of Air and it will always return to you,” Lugh went on as he found a ledge to lean on, “In all honesty, I thought you had been Kerr’gan’s contact. Uscias’ ogma crystals had indicated that it was you or your brother.”

“Credne cannot make Heartstone. His talents differ from mine,” Gobain replied, “Uscias was not honest, why should you trust what was in the ogma he provided?”

“You are correct. Brigid listened to them, however, and they are surprisingly accurate. That was one of the few details – assumptions – that was inaccurate,” Lugh said as he took out the pipe that Abcan had given him. The thing was lit within seconds thanks to a thing fiber of Fire.

Gobain considered this for a moment before nodding, “Right then, shall we be on with it then?”

Lugh nodded, “You’ve fixed the pattern of the spearhead in your mind, then?”

“I have. We’ll be using copper as the base. Come in with your Light infusion once the copper starts to shine and shift to Heartstone,” Gobain replied.

The work carried on into the twilight hours. Gobain fashioned a perfect replica of the spearhead, forged from copper. Supposedly, the transfiguration into Heartstone was a steady process, but it proved to drag on once Lugh had used the Light to touch the spearhead. He would go without his full strength for a time – that was the price one needed to pay in order to create such an object. It would all be worth it in the end.

Gobain nodded as Lugh embraced and wove all five of the Powers, opening himself to every single bit of the Light that he could safely contain. It felt as a tornado touching down upon a forest aflame. The Light surged within Lugh, pushing him dangerously close to the edge. He opened wider and wider – letting it all flow through him and into the spearhead. After a time, he felt the dangerous threshold begin to close upon itself. No longer was he on the razor's edge, almost falling to hubris.

Floating midair, the spearhead was made of Heartstone, and it measured about a foot in length. It was formed as a jagged, slender spade. The Ogham letter, iodhadh, had been engraved upon its center in the process of creation. A haft of yew, enchanted with a powerful Keeping, was affixed to its base. It was covered in maroon paint and had engravings of more Ogham letters etched into its length. A gilded ring with rubies was set at the joint between the two pieces, and a tan, braided leather cord was tied below it to signify Lugh’s training as a warrior.

After what seemed to be an eternity, the newly formed Heartstone suddenly started to darken and Lugh felt the last of his energy drift into the blade. The shining white spearhead blackened in a heartbeat – its hooked form retaining the opalescent hue that had come with the Heartstone. Lugh chuckled in delight as he separated the flows and used the second arm of his Will to delve into the spearhead.

Amplification of one’s Power. Unquenchable fairy fire.

Lugh’s smile deepened as the phantom words echoed in his mind. As the words went, so did Lugh's consciousness - his body falling to the ground. Gobain was soon to follow through the sheer exertion of the transfigurations. The pair were eventually found and transported to the hospital wing of the Hill. They recovered within the week and Lugh regained his strength within six months. He would go on through the rest of his life wielding that flaming spear. 

After that day of creation, it was said that the Isles of Erie contained four sacred treasures: the cauldron, the sword, the stone, and the spear.

[Image: Lugh%E2%80%99s-Spear.jpg?resize=298%2C300&ssl=1]
The Spear of Lugh

Russian Dolls and Broken Gods, a new Fantasy novel by best-selling author, Aiden Finnegan, out this December! Preorder online and instore today!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Tuatha De Cycle: The Spear of Assal - by Aiden Finnegan - 05-23-2022, 01:59 AM