This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Consorting with Enemies
[Image: JAK.Asha_.jpg?strip=info&w=500]

Light. The bloody politics. Jai wasn’t so thick to wonder why the Amyrlin Seat cared about Domani treaties with the seanchan. The Tower was involved in everything. Though he was a little surprised to imagine Daryen was partnering with the Amyrlin Seat directly. It’s not like Daryen journeyed to Tar Valon on a regular basis. The guy hadn’t left Arad Doman in years; and Jai would know. Nor did the Amyrlin take a detour from the top of her tower to some beachside bungalow outside Bandar Eban. Surely Jai would have noticed if a whole regiment of Aes Sedai and parading Amyrlins showed up. That meant they were working together in secret. By code or writing or messengers carrying the negotiations between them. He rubbed his eyes. This was why politics made him want to fall on his sword.

But the Amyrlin changed her mind at the last minute? Come to think of it, were there any Aes Sedai at the ceremony? He didn’t think so. Trista, though, she was there. The only person connected to the White Tower at all and only because she was gaidar. After scrubbing a hand through his hair, he started digging farther back through memories he’d rather leave buried.

“That reminds me of something Kekura Sedai said,” he started. “The day I heard about.. about Dru. When I came to look for you, and they said you weren’t there. I asked properly, too. In the front hall during the day and everything,” he added on principle. Last time he showed up, things didn’t go so smoothly, but he found her. “She said the Tower would be pissed if Daryen bartered away Trista. Well, she didn’t say it exactly like that, but, he did it exactly like she said he would.”

When he slid to the floor, he was momentarily relieved when she hugged him as tight in return. As tight as their hands clinging to one another in the Black Tower. When she pulled him through that gate and landed them where ever they were now. In the back of his mind, Daryen was a dull presence. Like an itchy shirt you forgot you put on after a few hours. So they were no where near the west coast. But as his eyes roamed the wall behind a cloud of dark hair, he saw nothing to relay their surroundings. So he licked his lips and buried his face into her shoulder until she tipped it back up.

The tension in his chest crumbled with her kiss. It had been longer than he could possibly have wanted yet exactly like he imagined it would be. And where Nythadri led, he would always follow, so he melted into her embrace like he never wanted to let go. Relief that she still felt the same way rippled the surface of his heart, and once disturbed, churned something that Jai thought to bury deep. He kissed her eagerly in return, a man who desperately needed her. Needed this and wanted to put to action what he promised in the heat of horror, and time stood still.

He was breathing steady and sure when she pulled away. It wasn’t a forced or broken moment. On the contrary, it felt natural and safe, but despite the connection, he recognized the darkness of fatigue that shadowed her expression. Light knew he felt the same away. But they were together, and for this one night, they would be safe. Until what she revealed changed everything.

“You were under Compulsion," she said.

He blinked and pulled away, expression empty. Thinking only one thing. That compulsion made a lot of sense now that he thought about it. So he listened to the rest of the tale, just empty and absorbing what he’d done. Understanding the meaning of it all too deeply.

The Amyrlin and M’Hael swept were away in one night, and he was the reason. Oh it wasn’t his fault, exactly, but he was the agent that toppled arguably two of the most powerful people in the world. He couldn’t go back to Daryen, not after this. Being around him would only endanger his brother’s standing with the Black Tower. They would assume he was a part of it. Kings and Channelers were not well-received in the world unless that man was the Dragon. Add in a conspiracy that Daryen may have had anything to do with this, and might as well just chop off his head and spike it on the gate of his own palace.

There was no making this right and no knowing when it would happen again. He woke up from this compulsion literally in a pool of Daniel’s blood. Next time, it might be Daryen’s. Light. Thoughts churned horrified. Next time it might be Nythadri.

He stood. It wasn’t rushed or eventful other than to pace a few steps away and stare into the wall. Jai had money. He could find a change of clothes somewhere in this fortress. It would be easy to disappear. Or better yet, go back to the Blight and make his ancestors proud. Talk about disappearing. They’d never even find the body.

Back still turned, he tugged the shirt over his head and dropped it on the ground near another discarded pile of black. The fresh air felt good on his skin, he thought. It wasn’t cold here. Maybe they were south. When he spoke it was calm as the sea before a storm. Light knew he’d watched enough of those roll in to recognize it.

“Had you not been there, I would have been found with the M’Hael. They would have known I’d done it, and I’d be dead by now, and my brothers would have been right to execute me, but Forsaken don’t leave loose ends around. They’ll finish the job, and anyone that I’m close to will be in danger. I’m not dead because you were there, but I can’t let anything happen to you. I swear, I won’t,” he sighed, but nodded with a decision that was swiftly buried deep. When he turned, it was while undoing the buckle on his belt.

“So if this is the last time we see each other, might as well make it memorable?” he tugged off the belt, the hint of a grin forming as the loose pants settled low on the hips. Might have done a little pose because why not? Then, he offered a hand to help her up, hoping she took it but understanding if she didn’t.
Only darkness shows you the light.

Messages In This Thread
Consorting with Enemies - by Natalie Grey - 05-30-2023, 09:23 PM
RE: Consorting with Enemies - by Adrian Kane - 05-31-2023, 10:34 PM
RE: Consorting with Enemies - by Jay Carpenter - 06-13-2023, 01:00 AM
RE: Consorting with Enemies - by Natalie Grey - 06-18-2023, 01:40 PM
RE: Consorting with Enemies - by Adrian Kane - 06-22-2023, 07:10 PM
RE: Consorting with Enemies - by Jay Carpenter - 06-24-2023, 02:33 AM
RE: Consorting with Enemies - by Natalie Grey - 06-25-2023, 08:15 PM
RE: Consorting with Enemies - by Jay Carpenter - 06-26-2023, 01:51 AM
RE: Consorting with Enemies - by Natalie Grey - 07-01-2023, 08:04 PM
RE: Consorting with Enemies - by Jay Carpenter - 07-08-2023, 01:22 AM