This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Soiree
[Image: Kymira-Taravin.jpg]
Lady Kymira Taravin

Kymira was standing with her friends beneath the grand chandelier directly in the center of the great hall. Well, the bright-eyed, clever Fawn was her friend, the pretty girl of House Pendar grew up going to all the same lessons and balls as Kymira. Their two Houses were allies as well, and in her history lessons Kymira knew that Pendar once supported Lady Dyelin for the Lion Throne. The two girls shared a smile that only friends with close secrets knew and locked their arms together.  Fawn had turned down a dance already, saying her feet were not yet ready to break in her heels, but once the snub nosed boy of House Marne was out of earshot, Fawn pointed out that his bulging belly had burst one of the buttons on his vest and he had fig jelly dribbled on his shirt. The girls shared a giggle, which of course meant their company had to know what it was that'd taken their fancy.

There was no time, for the name that perked every noble ear tonight stole the attention.  Togita stuck out like a rose in the snow. Two beautiful names preceded, followed by endless honorifics and on and on and on. Titles and names that Kymira felt like she'd been told to remember but had already forgotten. Then, arm in arm with Fawn, the two girls peeked on their tip toes through the mass of coifed hairdos. The ballgowns parted like pulled curtains and Kymira caught a glimpse of the Shienaran royal.  She was pale like a Cairhienin, but her dark hair and eyes looked far kinder than any Cairhienin Kymira had ever seen.  She smiled and nodded, and was swept into the room in company of half a dozen Lords and Ladies Kymira was told she was too young to accompany.  Someday I won't be too young.  Someday I’ll be married to a powerful Lord myself, and they'll take me seriously then. 

"When did you get this?" Kymira's heart-shaped face looked down at the pearl ring that Fawn was twisting around her finger. "Oh!  That's the ring!" Her friend suddenly realized. Kymira smiled a dazzling white smile in response, pulled her shoulders back and held her breath tight like the glamorous ladies older than her, but someone overheard.

"What ring is the ring Ky dear?" Cartera Coelan leaned over, stealing Kymira's hand into her own and holding the pearl up to the light. It was set in shining silver of the purest quality as could be found. Far purer and more expensive than anything Cartera was wearing, which was just random speckles of mint green jewels set in a regular gold necklace. “Gift from your parents?” she looked smug.

"The ring that came from my secret admirer is what it is." Cartera's mousy lips dropped in disbelief.  "Yes, and I have the note to prove it!  Safely locked away in my bedroom of course.  You know at the last ball Evan Ferande asked me to dance twice!  So it might be him, he kissed my hand when we were done, and I know his thumb grazed my wrist when he led me away." She snatched back her own hand now that Cartera was looking at the ring more closely.  Evan was the Head of his House despite being only sixteen, he could certainly afford such a valuable jewel. Kymira only smiled and talked on, "Then there was Ansha Sarand who followed me around like a lost puppy at the Queen's feast day in the palace.  How he managed to be invited to something like that I’ll never fathom!  I overheard Lord Drake," all the girls nodded dreamily when she mentioned the handsome young Lord's name - he had something of a following among Kymira's group, being the misfortunate tragic hero that he was losing both his parents and the chance to rule his House like he did. His own cousin abdicating the Seat.

The girls cast glances around to check if any of the Darwyns were within earshot and Kymira whispered on, "I heard him tell one of his wimply little cousins that House Sarand shouldn't count as one of the Great Nineteen, go ahead and tuck their tails, and slink back off to the country where they belong."  The girls gasped and Kymira nodded excitedly.  Well, she didn't hear it exactly put that way, but that's what he meant.  She was sure of it.

"Maybe the ring is from him.."  Fawn nudged her playfully, and Kymira glanced around for the boy of current conversation. If only that were the case! Then he was spied. “Oh!  Who is he talking?  And what is she wearing??"

They all turned their heads at the same time.  Drake had somehow tracked down the plainest girl any of them had ever seen.  She was tall and narrow as a beanpole.  Her dress wasn't even boned!  She was probably the same age as them, or close anyway, but the girl was in desperate need of a waist, some cinching, and lots of tinted powder for those pale cheeks. 

"Oh wait, that's the Lady Togita's daughter.  She was introduced, I remember hearing it now.  Lady Misaki."  Ugh, they all seemed to cringe at once.  Who named their kids words from the Old Tongue, anyway?  The Lady Graciela was so elegant and poised.  Her attire and hair were adorned oddly, but the name gave her intrigue.  Lady Misaki, in her black and white and loose hair didn't get to inherit the royal name apparently, so she was just another  borderlander that the rest of them had to put up with this season.  Whyever would Drake want to talk to her, and was he laughing??  “I heard they are staying with the Darwyns. Wouldn’t that be a shocking match?!” Cartera laughed at her expense, but Kymira only glared. She was tired of talking about borderlanders. 

”Ignore them. Oh! Let's get wine."

Messages In This Thread
Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-17-2023, 07:42 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-17-2023, 08:50 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-17-2023, 09:48 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-17-2023, 10:20 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 12:07 AM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 01:32 AM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 04:55 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 06:17 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 07:21 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 08:09 PM