This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Soiree
[Image: Nessie-cropped.jpg]
Nessie Oaktura

Nessie pulled up the hood of her cloak, grappled her scarf across her nose, and yanked open the back door. When she fell outside all the fuzzy scarves in the world couldn't block the wind that stung at her cheeks.

"Nessie!  Shut the door, child!" A voice from inside yelled, she gasped, "Sorry mum!" and hurriedly sealed herself outside. It was dark, but a wintery sort of darkness that came with early evening. Her legs were exhausted from running around like a chicken with its head cut off since dawn, and she still had the long walk to get home. 

"I guess it isn't liable to get any warmer!" She told herself and hurried away from the servants’ entrance.

A few minutes later she landed on the sidewalks of the New City. Little Nessie was just another face in the crowd, or actually, another pair of eyeballs peering out between her low-pulled hood and a warm fuzzy scarf. The edge of her uniform peeked out with every step, and she was grateful for the new socks her sister had given her. So far, her toes were toasty warm little piggies down in her boots.  Then as someone bumped into her, "Oh no!  I'm so sorry!"  she called after the man, but he didn't seem to have heard her, so she sighed and remembered it was a long way home.

She kept her head down, scurrying away from the street the Taravin's magnificent mansion occupied, and barely managed to squeeze between all the shoulders flowing people along like logs down a river. Until she came right up onto an enormous shadow. He stepped out of no where, looming in front of her like a brick wall, and she stopped dead in her tracks, peering the long, long way up to his face. 

He wore a heavy, ankle-length overcoat. Beneath was tidy, but loose clothes.  A soft scarf was knotted up at his neck, and his hands reached out to her with dark leather gloves.  Nessie's voice stuck to her throat, but she managed to squeak a question: "Ummm, Can I ... help .. you.. sir?"

But instead of reaching out and grasping her by the collar, the man turned aside and she realized he was gesturing to a carriage waiting on the nearby street. The curtains were pulled and she had no way of knowing if anyone important was inside, but then again, carriages always carried important people. Two sleek horses were hitched to the front, and a second man in similar coat and clothes as the first occupied the drivers seat. "You are Nessie Oaktura, yes?" He asked, and Nessie nodded, otherwise speechless. Then a flash of coin caught her eye.  "Someone wants a moment of your time.  I suggest you give it." 

She bit her lip, and glanced at the mark in the man's palm.  A minute later she was a bit richer and climbing into the fanciest carriage she'd never seen the inside of before. 

She hadn't the chance to nestle her backside into the cushion before the door slammed shut, and she realized she wasn't alone. 

The scarf fell from her face, revealing a huge gasp freezing her mouth into a big circle.  "It's you!" Then, squeaking, she slapped her hands to her mouth.  "Oh I mean, I am so sorry milady!  Its just that I, umm, I ... Umm.. Oh no.."

There weren't a lot of Ladies that little Nessie recognized.  How could there be?  She was a simple scullery girl! She never came across Ladies. Not since the day all those weeks ago that the Head Maid took her to meet the High Seat and his Lady Wife... and that Asha Man.  She still shivered every time she pictured those cold eyes looking down into hers. 

This one was seated with her hands folded in her lap. The red and white ballgown of the palace was unmistakeable, even for someone like Nessie. It matched the same designs as the flags on the Outer Wall. Her hair tumbled in big perfect loops across a collar of fur. The angle of her cheeks caught the little lamplight, and the lady looked like a statue frozen in serenity for all time. A heavenly scent filled the air, a perfume of flowers and fruit that Nessie had never smelled before. She pulled her cloak together as though hoping the stink of the scullery could be smothered so easily.

Nessie licked her lips and looked at the coin in her palm. "Milady I swear on my life I know nothing about nothing!" She absolutely forgot about seeing this elegant lady slipping in side doors at night - doors usually reserved for servants, or men in dark coats carrying messages, or other people far too important for Nessie to notice.  "I swear on my life!  I am a good and faithful servant of his lordship." She definitely never participated in lowly gossips. She was raised better than to listen to things that were none of her concern.

The lady cut her off. "It's alright child. You may relax I only have a few questions for you. My name is Nicole.” She looked like she could read Nessie's mind, so she nodded just as the carriage lurched forward.

"After that dreadful accident, Lord and Lady Taravin called upon you personally didn't they?" 

Her lady's eyes caught her attention, captured, and she felt like a mouse under the sights of a falcon.  "Yes milady."

A follow up question immediately clipped, "Someone questioned you didn't he?" Nessie nodded, wringing her hands out on her coat. How did this lady know all that had happened? ”Yes, ma’am.  Mistress Rosenfeld told me he was one of the men of the ... Black Tower." She whispered the name, as though it were a secret she shouldn't say out loud.  Lady Nicole sat forward slightly. "Yes, child?  Did he introduce himself?”

Nessie nodded curiously. “Yes, milady, he did."

Messages In This Thread
Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-17-2023, 07:42 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-17-2023, 08:50 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-17-2023, 09:48 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-17-2023, 10:20 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 12:07 AM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 01:32 AM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 04:55 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 06:17 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 07:21 PM
RE: Soiree - by Colette Moreau - 07-18-2023, 08:09 PM