This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Jay Carpenter
Zipper closed up, Jay dropped the duffel bag at his feet and gave the room a final sweep.
Clothes. No suit. But he seriously considered buying one. Instead, dress pants and a button-up was going to have to work. Besides, his credit cards were almost full as it was.
Necessities. Wallet.

"Guess that's it,"
he said to himself.

He turned around to find Cayli hovering in his doorway. Her hair had grown in the past few months. On the way to Des Moines last weekend, she explained to him that she wanted her hair to grow out. She said she wanted to grow it out so that it could be done up in a nicer hairstyle for spring formal. That made absolutely no sense to Jay. Why would a girl grow out her hair so that it could be done up? And it had. That seemed like a good sign, Jay thought. Thinking that a dying girl would probably have brittle, thin hair, not shining, flowing locks.

Other than the hair, those downcast eyes told him what he needed to know.

"Don't give the puppy eyes, Cai."
He teased.

"How long is this trip?"

"I should be back by Sunday, if all goes well."
He replied and tossed the bag over one shoulder. He hadn't explained much about the reason to go to Morocco, other than it was for a job interview.

"What if it goes well?"

Jay thought a moment, "Hopefully I get the offer and I can start orientation right away."

"You mean move to Africa right away."
The shadow of anger touched her voice. She thought he was abandoning them. Leaving Iowa so that he could just get away from their problems. None of them realized the truth though. This job, leaving Iowa, was fixing the problem.

He murmured to himself, came closer and pushed a bit of hair behind her shoulder. "Think of all the nice prom dresses I can buy you after a big fat paycheck from those rich punk kids that can't carry their own gun."

She laughed and Jay's stomach wrenched up in knots. But he winked anyway.
"If you need anything. Even just to cry about some boy in your class. You call me. Got it?”
She nodded

”See you soon, kid."

Edited by Jay Carpenter, Jul 5 2018, 09:11 PM.
Only darkness shows you the light.

Messages In This Thread
Jay Carpenter - by Jay Carpenter - 04-24-2014, 02:39 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 11-20-2017, 06:12 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 11-20-2017, 10:44 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 11-21-2017, 03:20 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 11-21-2017, 09:01 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 01-04-2018, 04:22 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 01-11-2018, 11:05 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 01-13-2018, 08:24 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 01-14-2018, 06:48 PM
[No subject] - by Jay Carpenter - 01-15-2018, 06:10 PM