This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Alcoholics Anonymous
Chris had seen the new guy come in - almost late - and his heart went out to the man. He looked to be scared to death to be here. Sometimes, they came in here like that. It was hard to admit to a group of strangers you had a problem and needed help. Hell - it was hard to admit that to your friends too. Chris determined to keep an eye on the man throughout the meeting and would make a point to connect with him as soon as he could.

They went through the introductions, and the new man, Calvin, declined to offer more than his name. Chris gave him a smile and nodded. They had to come to the decision to speak on their own. Inwardly, Chris worried for the man, but soon the man asked to speak. Chris smiled, excited. The man was ready to talk. The next part of the meeting is what made Chris really proud. The group began to talk to Calvin - encouraging him and letting him know they wanted to help him. Calvin's posture shifted and became more relaxed. Chris had been drug free for ten years, three months, and thirteen days, and in all that time, this was the moment he always loved to see - people realizing that they could overcome their addictions.

The meeting ended and the others welcomed Calvin more. The man still looked a little scared, but he was talking to people and building connections that would help him in his struggles. Others in the group came to talk to him, keeping him from approaching. He wanted to talk to him and tell him what a big step he had made tonight, but he didn't want to be rude. He kept his eyes on the man though as Lucas approached him. A few moments later, and the moved off to the side to talk privately. Chris hoped Lucas would offer to sponsor him. Lucas would be a good match.

The crowd began to leave and Chris waited. He had to be the last to leave anyways. Lucas and Calvin made a move towards the exit, and Chris walked to meet them.

"Calvin. I just wanted to touch base before you left. I'm Chris, and I'm really glad you came out tonight. You took a really big step tonight in your recovery process. I hope we continue to see you...and it looks like you made a friend."

Calvin stopped as the facilitator approached and introduced himself. The mention of Lucas made him smile.

"Yeah...Lucas offered to be my sponsor. I'll keep coming. I feel better than I've felt in months."

Chris smiled at him and said, "I'm glad to hear it. Lucas is a good man - he'll be hard on you, but if I know him, I'm sure he's already told you that. Keep in mind that its for you to get better. Glad to meet you Calvin. Lucas."
They all shook hands and Calvin was aware of the grateful look that Chris gave Lucas.

Calvin looked out and saw Kristoff's truck outside waiting for him. "That's my ride. I should get going. It was nice to meet you Lucas." Calvin shook his hand and then pulled him into a hug. "Thanks"

He broke off the hug. "I'll talk to you soon. Have a good night."

Calvin then got into Kristoff's truck and told him that everything had went well and he had a sponsor. Kristoff smiled at him.

"Oh...and I think I want to start playing guitar."

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-09-2015, 05:43 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-12-2015, 03:13 AM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-12-2015, 04:03 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-13-2015, 04:24 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM
[No subject] - by Lucas - 01-13-2015, 11:02 PM
[No subject] - by Calvin - 01-14-2015, 12:46 AM