This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Et tu, Brute?
Cruz was down the stairs in an instant, ready to defend his father. It was a touching scene, really, once you ignored all of the tension in the air. The other men went back and forth. Aiden still wasn’t exactly sure what this weapon was, but Nox’s reaction said it all. Dorian clearly didn’t think much of it, even with the threat of death looming overhead.

Sage sprang back up, swearing, and calling for a ceasefire. The man was no God, but he had his own powers. Just because they weren’t conventional magic did not mean they were not lethal. Aiden felt a pang of guilt over his panic. But how else was he to react? After all those stories about the Atharim that Nox had told him? That cult was an incredible threat and Aiden would do everything within his power to protect those he loved.

Still. Perhaps he had overreacted… Aiden would have to start training more, much as Nox did. He couldn’t let his nerves get the better of him in the days to come. They were about to leave the country and head into God-knew-what. A trigger finger would be the last thing they needed.

Nox began to call for them all to step down.

The block is gone… And I’m getting quicker… Aiden thought wryly as he banished the fireballs from the air. He still held the Power, however. That rushing surge of energy ensured their safety. He would not let go of it until they were back in the limo… And even then…

The shock of everything started to settle in as Aiden’s nerves calmed. The block was gone and there had been a vision of Rowan. He hadn’t seen anything like that in years. It had been a vision, of that he was now sure. At least it started to feel sure of it. Who was the raven-haired woman and why was Rowan missing an eye? It had happened as soon as the block was banished… Had the same happened for Rowan? Questions began to pile up in his brain, but then Nox embraced the Power.

Flows of energy came together and sliced through Aiden’s wall of Air. He locked the weave into his memory, praying with all his might that he could replicate the thing later. Oh, there was still so much to learn… He still felt like a child when it came to magic, but one did not master an art over the course of a month…

Nox spoke again, “Maybe after I get my head on straight with everything that’s happened the implied offer the night we met will still be open.”

“I thought we were pretty forwar-“ Aiden said with an amused expression, but then Nox went and kissed Sage, and then he came back to Aiden and kissed him as well. The words died on his tongue as they were replaced with a soft brushing of Nox’s own lips.

The Power fled Aiden’s grasp, he was so shocked at the gesture.

And then Nox was gone. Dorian was still on the floor and Cruz was staring at them. Sage came up to Aiden and he grasped the taller man’s hand without thinking.

“Lasher!” Aiden called out, “We’re going home! Come!”

The dog came bounding up from the next room, tail wagging and tongue lolling. He sniffed at Cruz and Dorian before coming to rest at Aiden’s feet, looking up at him expectantly. He began to fasten the harness and leash to his dog, speaking to Sage as he did so.

“If there’s anything you can’t live without, I suggest you grab it now. Otherwise, my assistant can come and collect the rest of your things tomorrow.”

Aiden was making some heavy assumptions here, and for that, he felt guilty, but after the scene that just unfurled and the threats levied against Dorian… Well, he did not think that Sage would care much for staying under this roof. Aiden sure as shit didn’t. It would be too awkward. How did you come back from such a thing? It was a wonder Dorian wasn’t chasing them out that very moment. He had been so gracious to them all, but then again, Aiden was certain it was all due to Cruz’s Godhood.

“I am sorry, Cruz. Dorian. I overreacted with the Fire… My loyalties lie with Sage, Nox, and the rest of the Gods. You have been a kind host and for that I am thankful, I acted in haste and shame threatening you under your own roof. I am sorry,” Lasher’s leash was attached and Aiden rose from the ground, clutching the cord, “but I have worn out my welcome. If you will excuse us…”

Thank the Gods for my condo... I couldn't bear the long drive to Suzdal...

Russian Dolls and Broken Gods, a new Fantasy novel by best-selling author, Aiden Finnegan, out this December! Preorder online and instore today!

Messages In This Thread
Et tu, Brute? - by Nox - 02-05-2019, 09:46 PM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Cruz - 02-06-2019, 03:07 PM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Nox - 02-07-2019, 10:38 AM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Cruz - 02-08-2019, 05:18 PM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Aiden Finnegan - 02-09-2019, 02:38 AM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Sage - 02-09-2019, 04:05 PM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Aiden Finnegan - 02-12-2019, 02:20 AM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Sage - 02-12-2019, 11:17 AM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Nox - 02-13-2019, 07:32 PM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Cruz - 02-13-2019, 07:37 PM
RE: Et tu, Brute? - by Aiden Finnegan - 02-15-2019, 12:33 AM