This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Finding Rowan
Sage tossed a holo up from his Wallet. Bright lights cascaded across the room as he vocalized the information gathered over the last hour. Aiden was surprised that Sage hadn’t uncovered everything in that time, but then again, Aiden didn’t know much about cyber-security. That shortcoming was the sole reason he had met Sage in the first place. Perhaps the other guests had some sort of firewall or something…

“Yes, those are of them,” Gareth chimed in, straightening out his posture as well, “Mistress Rowan poured on the poise and charm, but neither one seemed to take an interest in her. There was another man… Rough sort. Her intended entertainment for the evening, I think. Mistress pushed him off after the mystery duo joined the soiree.”

Aiden nodded thoughtfully, “I’ve never seen those two before. Just some strays in the café, Gare?”

“Yes. Mistress had not interacted with them prior to her invitation.”

“Then why drag them up? Did she usually just pick up random strangers? It happened in NOLA all the time, but mostly tourists… And then it was always about the Voodoo,” Aiden replied. He began drinking his whiskey again, gazing upon the holographs floating above Sage’s Wallet. Reflections rippled upon the glass tabletop, distorting the faces. Rowan had had a public ritual earlier that night, perhaps these two had followed after? What of the other two? What was special about them? Why would Rowan abandon ownership of the café to two mysterious, strangers?

“Only at her public rituals. She rarely throws private parties anymore. I was a touch surprised when she decided on that course… And you just did all of that in your head, Master Sage? Very useful talent. Mistress would have adored you,” Gareth went on in a somber tone. He glanced into a hand mirror and fixed a few stray hairs. "I feel that the only way to find her is to track down the older gentleman and his lady of the night. And I mean that literally.”

“She was a prostitute?” Aiden’s eyebrows cocked slightly at the thought. Rowan was a tad loose since becoming a widow, but she never paid for it. Was she their third? He doubted that line of thought. Rowan would not have given up her café to play third wheel to some eccentric man and his whore. Not even if they were actually a couple. What had been going through Rowan’s head? Aiden felt like he was analyzing the actions of a stranger. A new home could change a person, but that much?

“No, I mean that she looked like a wicked queen or a dark sorcerous. Heavens, for all I know, she could be. Mistress has been searching for other witches.”

“Well, that’s not a shock. She has styled herself the Voodoo Queen, can’t be a Queen with no subjects.”

Gareth ignored the comment, rising from his seat on the couch. He began busying himself with menial tasks; throwing the empty wine bottle out, sweeping up ashes that hadn’t made it into the tray. Aiden thought about the intel. There was a mystery man and another that had a secret. How cliché. Deep down, Aiden agreed with Gareth. The pair that had not wanted to be seen had seemed the likeliest lead. But then again, the other man had the secret. Whatever that thing was, it could have had something to do with Rowan’s departure. Then again, it might not. This could all have been planned in advance. What if she really did want to leave this place behind? It didn’t sound like her, but it had been over a year since Aiden last talked to her. Maybe she really did change.

“Sage, babe, what do you think? A man with a secret that you don't want to share sounds fishy... But so does two proverbially invisible people...”

Russian Dolls and Broken Gods, a new Fantasy novel by best-selling author, Aiden Finnegan, out this December! Preorder online and instore today!

Messages In This Thread
Finding Rowan - by Sage - 03-17-2019, 08:11 PM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Aiden Finnegan - 03-22-2019, 11:29 PM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Sage - 03-24-2019, 01:50 PM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Aiden Finnegan - 03-28-2019, 01:28 AM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Sage - 03-28-2019, 11:21 AM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Aiden Finnegan - 05-02-2019, 11:39 PM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Sage - 05-03-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Aiden Finnegan - 05-08-2019, 02:54 AM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Sage - 05-08-2019, 11:17 AM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Aiden Finnegan - 05-09-2019, 11:54 PM
RE: Finding Rowan - by Sage - 05-10-2019, 10:23 AM