This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

I Get Around
Idly, he scrolled through the wiki, reading descriptions of the submissions. Some were bare bones. "Makes music"; "Creates balls of different colors." The maddening ones were like that but not simple. "Mix metal into water." He studied the weave for that one, unable to understand what it was supposed to do. Melt metal? That was just fire. The maddening part was it was in the female power so he couldn't even try it out. He could have someone else do it, he knew. But he was aware of the danger. Something had to be done about that. A way to test these safely. The simplest was to contact the woman and ask her what the hell she meant by "mix metal into water." The stereotype about artists seemed to hold true. Still, it was data.

Some were methodical note takers and their entries read like a diary. Those were a joy to read. They approached it like an experiment, logged failures and successes, their hopes, what inspired them, and so on. He subscribed to those people, knowing that even if it was unusable to him, even if it itself was not something that interested him- making flower petals grow into various shapes? He had a hard time figuring out how practical that was- the process itself was illuminating and taught him much.

One in particular kept pulling at him. A super heated column of air and earth, their temperatures so high that electrons separated from their atoms, creating the fourth state of matter, plasma. It was an interesting concept. Keeping it stable had proved to be difficult. Like lightning it tended to want to dissipate quickly. And it was...squirmy, was the best word. Not something he could control. He wasn't sure its purpose but he did like the way it moved and shifted colors hypnotically, rippling from one to the next like it was breathing. He wished he could figure out how to bind it, contain it in a specific form.

Another was playing with the 5th flavor of the power, the one that seemed to have no analog to the physical world. It was...ethereal. And yet it was also the one that seemed to warp the others, how they responded to matter interaction. It had played a key role in his creation of tau gates. It came up quite often in weaves that worked with living entities, healing and influence and the like. As if it was living itself, responding to will. It was alien in so many ways. And yet because of that, he hungered to understand it.

These two kept drawing all the "free" time he had- which was not much. It tickled the back of his mind, though he wasn't sure why.

He looked up at someone at his door and sighed, clearing the holo. Another meeting. It seemed he spent most days in meetings. Which meant he spent at least an hour each day running or boxing or working out just to get out of his head. To turn it off.

Locking his computer, he stood, put on his jacket and left his office.

Messages In This Thread
I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-08-2020, 04:36 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-14-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-17-2020, 06:14 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-21-2020, 09:52 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-22-2020, 09:25 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 06-06-2020, 08:52 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 06-09-2020, 10:02 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 06-10-2020, 05:20 PM