This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

I Get Around
The tick of the mechanical clock mingled with the noises from the streets down below. The balcony door was open, though a security screen kept his apartment safe from ingress. The noise barely punctured his focus. The cylinder before him was split down the middle and hollowed out. Iron, but modified as the bearing had been, so that it was indestructible. The 3-d model he had designed had been sent to a metal worker and had been used to cast both sides, mirror images. Small divots with holes would allow tiny screws to hold the thing together. Before he had made the change he had carefully made sure it all fit together tightly.

The interiors weren't smooth. Rather they contained small slots for the matrix to latch into place. He'd ordered three, just in case. But the saying was measure thrice, cut once. Ordering more wouldn't be a problem. But he had no desire to wait.

Satisfied it had all fit together, he had woven spirit and earth, fire and air, in the pattern he had discovered, creating power "holes" in the iron. He couldn't help but smile. It was the same principle as adding trivalent impurities to silicon, called 'doping'. Those impurities created a P-type silicon semiconductor with positively charged "holes" desperate for negatively charged electrons to fill them. It was how transistors were made. Funny how the principle seemed to hold. In this case, the iron absorbed the power into its lattice. Early experiments seemed to indicated that the more force or energy directed at power-doped metal, the more of the power it absorbed to repel it.

Ilesha Fisher was working on something similar, though using the female half of the power. She saw the mechanical implications of this. Parts that did not break down were only the beginning. Others were working in related fields.

For him, it was enough that it worked. Because what he had planned would mean that a tremendous amount of heat energy was going to be housed by the object. Plasma, matter whose temperature reached the point that the electrons were stripped away from their nuclei leaving only positively charged ions of super heated gas.

He hadn't yet solved the problem of the "goopiness" of the plasma. It lost all cohesive structure at that point. He was playing around with various ways to 'encase' it. Air seemed a good potential though the thermal energy from the plasma super heated it to the point of danger. Getting too close- and you didn't have to be that close!- was a good way to get burned. He needed a buffer to hold the shape but keep from getting hot itself.

And so he pored over his Tau Wiki. searching for inspiration.

The problem was between his teeth. He would keep at it.

Messages In This Thread
I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-08-2020, 04:36 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-14-2020, 03:23 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-17-2020, 06:14 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-21-2020, 09:52 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 05-22-2020, 09:25 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 06-06-2020, 08:52 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 06-09-2020, 10:02 PM
RE: I Get Around - by Marcus DuBois - 06-10-2020, 05:20 PM