This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Gift and the Pledge
Daryen was already up and redressing himself. Jay remained quite content in bed, having punched a pillow into submission, shoving it behind his back and watched like it was his own personal show.
“You know Ventri is going to be pissed you ruined his good work,” Jai said noting the strewn about clothes. Daryen chuckled, probably at the notion of imagining the even-keeled valet being pissed at anyone.
“He’s going to blame me, you know,” Jai added almost as if he read Daryen’s thoughts.
“And he would be right to do so,” Daryen said with a sly smile.

Rising to the challenge, he channeled a sling of air, whipping one of the fancy pillows at Daryen’s head. Of course the master Asha’man blocked it without even looking, promptly chucking it back. Jai barely dodged the feathered projectile and decided to get up.

Daryen was in another room arranging the rest of his appearance by then. It was only when Jai pushed to his feet that he caught himself about to grimace. The flicker of a heartbeat later, and he summoned the void, pushing the discomfort aside in order to search for his own uniform. He was hardly new to aches and pains. Light knew he’d endured a million times worse, besides, this was more of a welcome nuisance. Or that’s what he told himself from within the confines of the void. He found his pants first.

But of course when there was someone nearby who could practically read his thoughts, no amount of bright flame and no reach of infinite void could numb everything.

Just as Jai was tightening the breeches around his hips, Daryen was back in front of him, a look of concern on his face.
“I’m sorry,” he said as he reached out to touch him on the shoulder. Threads of spirit began to descend.
Jai stepped back, “It’s fine. Don’t worry about it. Totally worth it,” he rambled, closely eyeing the weave.

“Let me heal you,” Daryen insisted.
“For Light’s sake! I don’t need healing. I’m not so delicate as that,” Jai said.

Daryen’s concern smoothed itself away in that infuriating way that Jai knew was all for show. “You know I can bloody feel your guilt,” he said with a smirk, seeing through the mask.

“And I can feel your discomfort,” he responded.

For a minute, they just stared at each other. In the end, Jai decided his pride wasn’t worth walking uncomfortably the rest of the day. There was a bloody ceremony to attend and that was going to be painful enough to endure.

With a groan to get it over with, Jai nodded. Daryen’s healing was well-received.

[Dialogue written by me]
Only darkness shows you the light.

Messages In This Thread
The Gift and the Pledge - by Seven - 12-24-2021, 04:10 PM
RE: The Gift and the Pledge - by Jay Carpenter - 12-25-2021, 11:22 PM
RE: The Gift and the Pledge - by Seven - 01-17-2022, 12:21 AM
RE: The Gift and the Pledge - by Jay Carpenter - 08-02-2022, 01:56 AM
RE: The Gift and the Pledge - by Jay Carpenter - 11-26-2022, 07:10 PM
RE: The Gift and the Pledge - by Seven - 12-30-2022, 06:32 PM
RE: The Gift and the Pledge - by Jay Carpenter - 01-01-2023, 06:42 PM
RE: The Gift and the Pledge - by Jay Carpenter - 01-02-2023, 12:02 AM
RE: The Gift and the Pledge - by Lawrence Monday - 01-03-2023, 02:53 AM