This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Tuatha De Cycle: The Spear of Assal
The First Great City of Gorias
The Isles of Erie

“High Prince Lecan should be expecting us,” Lugh announced to Abcan as the Doorway closed behind them. Unlike High Prince Uscias, Lugh had gotten along rather well with High Prince Lecan of Gorias. Although, that might had owed to the fact that Lugh and Lecan were cousins.

The bodyguards fanned out to scout the surrounding area for any danger – no matter how unlikely that seemed. The ring walls of Gorias loomed beyond the copse of trees that they had just walked in to. The moon had barley begun its journey over the horizon, but a blanket of stars had already begun to peak through the veil that covered the world.

Abcan’s network of eyes-and-ears had informed him of Gobain’s presence in the city. The bard had insisted that they should pursue the other brother, Credne, but Lugh had overruled him. Both Kerr’gan and Esras had insisted that their source was located in the northern isles – indeed, they had all but pointed to a hamlet located just north of Gorias. Both men had hailed from Gorias; it was rather reasonable to think that their sources were local.

On the other hand, it had been reported that Credne was more than likely living on the Isle of Tory, which was due east from Gorias. Lugh had argued that it would take less time to find Gobain and so they should start with him. Abcan had argued that High Prince Lecan would have known if Gobain or Credne had been living in his city – anyone would have known that they had been living there. His argument didn’t hold as much weight, however, because no one knew where the brothers had gone to after Lugh’s coronation. It had been three years since and not a sight nor a whisper about either - save for Abcan's informants, of course. But then, those men and women were not officially apart of the Hill's payroll, and so officially their information did not exist.

The peasants had whispered that they had gone back to Lochlann, the mythical city that the Tuatha De progenitor had left behind. Many at Court insisted that the pair had turned traitor and joined what was left of the Fomorian horde across the eastern sea. There were also some that had said that the brothers had gone off to avenge their fallen, third brother – again to the Fomorians across the sea, but this time in a suicidal attempt to kill every last one of them. Lugh hadn’t paid the gossip much heed. Most of it was the stuff of stories spun to stimulate a weary mind.

Abcan pulled his pipe out and lit the thing with a fiber of Fire. He puffed at it quietly before blowing a large, blue smoke ring out into the trees. Lugh looked down at him, expectantly. The bard simply said, “Well, let’s get on with it then.”

Lugh rolled his eyes. Abcan would appear disinterested until they found out if Lecan could help or not. At that point, it would either be a laughing ‘I told you so’ or a commiserating ‘shut up. You were right.’ Lugh wished to get to that point as quickly as possible, if only for his friend to regain his proper charisma. The bodyguards returned affirming that all was safe and they set forth for the main gates to the city of Gorias.

The Keep of Gorias was not as grand as Nuada’s Keep, but it would always feel more familiar and homier to Lugh no matter how many years he resided under the Hill – of that he had always been certain. Lecan’s house guard had led them down to the main sitting room before handing them off to the servants to be made comfortable amidst the various chairs and sofas that occupied the room. A meal had been prepared and a cask of mead opened to celebrate their arrival. Lecan, as always, had taken his sweet time in making his way to greet them. Lugh did not mind; he had anticipated as much. Abcan had worked his way through two plates and three tankards before Lecan had arrived. Lugh had taken the opportunity to nap in the meanwhile. He was awoken abruptly by Abcan’s elbow.

“Ah, cousin, it is good to see that you are finding rest when you are able to. I trust Nuada did not leave you too heavy a burden?” Lecan called from the open doorway. He greatly resembled Lugh. The pair were both taller than most men and had long, golden manes of hair. They both had warm hazel eyes, an easy smile, and high cheekbones. Both men had also inherited the curious deformity that marked the more powerful Dagda of the Isles of Erie: the tops of their ears were slightly elongated and pointed.

“Indeed, cousin, but my spine has always found your sofas to be the most forgiving,” Lugh called back cheerfully as he leapt from the couch and bounded towards Lecan, embracing the man with a hearty laugh. Lugh went so far as to pick the man up in a bear hug and swung him around in a circle. The greener of the house guard moved to bear their blades, but the older men urged them to stay their hands. Lecan was laughing before Lugh placed him back onto the tiled floor with little grace.

“How is my little Ebliu? I am positively affronted that you have not brought her here to meet her second cousin. She’s what now, two whole years of age?” Lecan asked Lugh with a feigned air of offense.

“Ah, but then she always seems to ask, ‘Father? Why has Cousin Lecan not come to see my radiance? Mother will not let me leave the Keep!’” Lugh replied with another hearty laugh, slapping the other man on the back, “But in truth, cousin. We miss seeing you down in the Hill. The High Council will be expecting your tribute soon enough.”

“The council and your Hill have my marks, of that you can be certain,” Lecan answered seriously, “And you tell Buach that she and Ebliu are as safe here as your Hill. We’ve had Fomorian incursions on the coast, but it is nothing to worry on. My men have pushed them back into the eastern sea.”

Abcan spit out his mead at the mention, “You what, man!?”

“Yes, please elaborate, cousin. Why have you not sent word on this?” Lugh asked, almost speaking over Abcan in his irritation.

“Lugh, this has been happening for years. We had only thought it over because they haven’t tried to raid us since Nuada’s fall. Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten, man, this use to be a weekly event,” Lecan said as he walked over to the spread that his servants had laid out. A wine filled chalice was in his hands within seconds.

“Right, cousin! Three years and we have had no raids along your eastern coast. What has changed?” Lugh asked seriously.

“My men are looking into it, fear not. The raiding party was easily dispatched – and I mean in entirety. Not even a longship was sent back across the waves,” Lecan replied soothingly before taking a sip from his gold worked chalice.

“I want regular reports on the matter, cousin. My reign is still in its infancy. We cannot allow the Fomorians to make any incursions into the Isles.”

“Of course, cousin. You have my word. Who else would you rather have your back on this matter? You know that the soldiers of Gorias are the finest in the Isles. Trust in me. It has been only one instance thus far,” Lecan said seriously – almost sounding like he was trying to convince himself of his words. He nodded at Lugh twice before turning his head back to the spread, the waiting servant pilling a plate high with samples of the various dishes on offer. They had tried to shove a plate at Lugh, but he had politely refused. The kitchen staff at the Hill had ensured that he had been plumped up before taking his leave on this little mission.

Lugh appraised his cousin before nodding in affirmation. It would have to do. Lecan certainly didn’t think much of the event, so who was Lugh to blow it out of proportion? That had not even been the reason they had come to Gorias. Brigid’s boys were more pressing. Lecan said it himself; the Formorians barely even tried to raid, should that change, the Hill would find out.

“What of Gobain and Credne?” Lugh asked, changing the subject entirely.

“What of them?” Lecan asked in return before remembering himself, “Ah, do forgive me, cousin. They have never lived within these walls – at least according to the city records. If they had, it was under an assumed name and credentials. Brigid has not visited this city since Nuada’s tour of the Cities after his second coronation.”

“What do your ogma cores say?”

“What yours have said. They have not had much of a history since you ascended – begging your pardon, cousin, did you offend Brigid?” Lecan asked between bites of the various appetizers on his little plate.

“If I have, I would like to know how,” Lugh replied as he took a pull from the horn of mead in his left hand.

“She was always rather insular. I doubt that you did, lest you spoke out against her sons,” Lecan said consideringly between bites.

“Again, if I have, I would like to know how. I never spoke much to the other Dagda of Nuada’s court. It wasn’t until I was crowned that I had to carry on with all of this…”

“Muck?” Lecan asked amusedly, “Why they picked you, cousin, I’ll never know.”

“I can get the job done, Lecan. Lest you wish for broader expanses. Tell me, do you wish to rule all five Isles?”

“Gorias is more than enough, I can assure you of that,” Lecan said seriously, “I was only referring to the fact that you detest authority. And now you are the authority.”

“Fate has a funny way of running contrary to our own wishes,” Lugh spoke the old proverb, earning a nod from Lecan and Abcan. “Cousin, if you wish to speak on that, I would be happy to do so at a later date. But, I must insist that we stick to the matter at hand.”

“Comrac is the hamlet you were asking about, cousin,” Lecan said, “We have not made it a habit to keep records of the towns that surround Gorias, so I am afraid that is all I have to offer. I have never visited the area, personally, but I am told it is nothing more than a humble mining town.”

Abcan perked up.

“A mining town?” Lugh asked after a perceptible pause.

“Zinc and stone, I’m afraid,” Lecan said almost apologetically.

“Oh, no no, cousin,” Lugh said excitedly, “Don’t apologize. You might just be proving us right. Gobain is in Comrac.”

Russian Dolls and Broken Gods, a new Fantasy novel by best-selling author, Aiden Finnegan, out this December! Preorder online and instore today!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Tuatha De Cycle: The Spear of Assal - by Aiden Finnegan - 04-19-2022, 04:30 AM