This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Spear Through Time
“If they want my life, they can have that too – It means nothing to me,” the man yelled – the man that blazed liked the Sun.

The men in the rough spun cloaks rushed forward with their scrolls of snakeskin. The seven men held their scrolls out like a ward against the Dark – pushing it towards the man and all but shielding their faces from his gaze.

“It has always been the Isles. It is for the people that I fight. If it is this signature that should mean that you get to live the rest of your days in security and happiness,” the man was saying as he waved his right hand in the air – a feather quill floating up into his grip.

“No!” a woman with flaming red hair cried out, leaping forward, and using her own Light to rip the contracts from the hands of the soldiers.

The man shone brighter and screamed, “You know not what you do! It has become the will of the people!”

Aiden sat up from the limo’s back seat with a start and a beading of sweat along his brow. The man had come to him again, in his own dreams. It had been the fifth appearance of the man that shown like the Sun: Lugh. Those repeated dreams - Aiden was certain that they had been trying to tell him something. He never remembered his dreams. He had always assumed it was due to the amount of weed that he had smoked, but that theory had gone out the window as of late. Since returning from the Serpentine-dimension, Aiden had been smoking a new joint every four or five hours – when he had only been smoking once a day beforehand.

Despite the sudden increase in THC, Aiden had found himself remembering every dream of Lugh in excruciating detail. The only problem was that there was no discernible timeline being offered up. Every scene he had seen seemed to be disconnected from a larger story.

Until today.

“Brigid,” Aiden sighed as he yawned and stretched his limbs, tossing the spear from hand to hand.

“The Celtic goddess of wisdom, poetry, healing, protection, blacksmithing, and domesticated animals?” Dimitri quickly offered up, earning a cocked eyebrow from Cooper. The driver had clearly put the limousine in park, as he casually stared at Aiden’s assistant. “What? I told you I knew of the Tuatha De.”

“Yeah, but…” Cooper began in a confused voice, “You know what? Never mind, think about what I asked you.”

Dimitri glared back at Cooper and Aiden shifted in his seat, trying to sit up straighter.

“Now, now, boys,” Aiden began,”What in the hell were you two arguing about during nap time?”

“Nothing, Aiden,” Dimitri replied with a slow smile, “Cooper here was just telling me about Greco-Roman mythology.”

“Ganymede and Zeus, to be precise,” Cooper offered up uncharacteristically, “And of other Gods serving Gods.”

“Ah, but Ganymede was a Demi-God, Cooper,” Aiden said without thought.

“Demi-God,” Dimitri repeated.

“Read the stories and tell me you don’t feel a ‘vibe,’” Cooper said to Dimitri. Aiden sat up, his eyes focusing all the more quickly.

Aiden turned his head to Cooper and asked, “What in God’s name are you two talking about? What did I miss?”

“Your spear, sir,” Cooper said instantly, “It has given Dimitri pause – and I must admit – I too have wondered why you’re holding so tightly to a spear.”

Aiden felt the blood drain from his face. Cooper had always been a man of no questions – to be asked about the Spear so forwardly…

“I already told you it is an antique that Sage and I came across during our visit to the Giant’s Causeway,” Aiden repeated as if on rote.

“Yes, but your personal assistant here has gotten it into his head that its cursed and he can feel it-“ Cooper had explained lazily before Dimitri had leapt up in his seat and began to speak over Cooper.

“It’s got it’s own aura, Aiden,” Dimitri said as he shook his head in Aiden’s direction, “Tell me you don’t feel that. I will own up to that idea. It creeps me out – the spear creeps me out, ok?”

“And what if I told you it was the weapon with which a Celtic God waged war?” Aiden asked spontaneously.

“I could not say we’d be surprised,” Cooper answered.

Aiden laughed to himself.

“If you’re working for the Atharim, Cooper…” Aiden began.

Cooper held up both of his palms in defiance, “I would not have brought my whole family, if I was.”

“So then you know about them?” Aiden asked as he slumped back. Despite the evidence, he did not want to believe what Nox and Sage had said – the Atharim stretched far and wide.

“Only a whisper, Your words have only confirmed it, You really should….”

“Hold my tongue, yes, I know,” Aiden scoffed, “I’ll kill you if you’re lying – you do realize that, don’t you?”

“I am still standing here, aren’t I?” Cooper asked.

Dimitri opened the car door and exited the limo. Aiden simply smirked at Cooper. Cooper sighed.

“Might be a good time to revisit insurance plans, eh?” Cooper asked.

“Well, that entirely depends on who you are,” Aiden replied, “Kill the engine.”

Russian Dolls and Broken Gods, a new Fantasy novel by best-selling author, Aiden Finnegan, out this December! Preorder online and instore today!

Messages In This Thread
Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 08-27-2022, 03:49 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 08-30-2022, 02:04 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 09-02-2022, 06:00 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-04-2022, 01:08 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-04-2022, 02:02 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-04-2022, 03:34 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-09-2022, 01:01 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 10-09-2022, 03:19 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 11-22-2022, 02:08 AM
RE: Spear Through Time - by Aiden Finnegan - 11-22-2022, 04:33 AM