This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Point of No Return
[Image: JAK.Asha_.jpg]

When introduced, he greeted each Sister with a bow of the head. It wasn’t so formal as the initial introduction, but the lowering of eyes would be respectful. Words from the Old Tongue floated behind his eyes. A formal greeting to put Zakar to shame. They all had the same manners drilled into their childhoods. Old Tongue tutors and (for Jai) sword trainers. He knew the words and moves and motions, and perhaps a remnant of those traditions surfaced in his behavior. But he was rather sedate when meeting Esenya’s gaze in particular. Her voice was familiar, but it didn’t pierce the cloud of memory and regret. If he recollected the Yellow, it wasn’t apparent.

He preferred to stand, but yielded with the gentlest of suggestions to follow otherwise. His attentions remained upon Kekura Sedai primarily. He’d never met a Sea Folk Aes Sedai. They were thick in Bandar Eban, most near sight of the docks. The best card games had Sea Folk players around the table. He didn’t recognize the symbols on her hands. Now he thought to look. The ring glinted bright against her skin.

When he sat, it was with as straight and tall a back as to make the painter proud. He’d never finished that portrait. Maybe someday, he mused.

He took easy turns answering their questions. They had many. First to the Sister named Reloane.

“You are assigned to the palace at Bandar Eban, are you not?”

He nodded his head. “Yes, that’s correct. I report to Asha’man Daimon.”

“And you follow his orders?”

“Yes, of course. He outranks me in strength and age,” he added. Reloane shifted at the comparison of strength. Odd thing for someone so composed to be unsettled by, but they moved on.

“And what does he think of you being here?” she said.

“If he knew I was here, I imagine he wouldn’t be too pleased.” He read her look but didn’t elaborate.

“And how long have you been there?”

Jai thought a moment. A number pierced his mind like a flash bomb. The math done before he could even think about it. Almost down to the minute, he could tell them how long he’d been in his assignment. The precision felt too chaotic for the moment, and he amended his answer to a mere estimation.
“Almost ten years,” he said as if they were talking about happier kinds of anniversaries.

“Did you attend the signing of the treaty today?” she asked.

He nodded. “Yes.” Wouldn’t have missed that for the world.

“Who else attended?”

He drew a long breath as if considering where to start.
“It felt like the whole city was there, Aes Sedai. Everyone you can imagine. The Council of Merchants, their retinues, the General, the Court. Guards. But it was an easy affair. With the air of a holiday.” Not the kind of holiday he preferred.

There was a tightness when she asked about sul’dam and damane. Likewise, when he answered, it was quick. Almost as if thinking about them was an exercise he preferred to end as fast as possible.
“None that I saw.”

“and Trista Gaidar?”

He nodded. “Of course.” In all her desired glory.

The Gray glanced aside at Kekura, who nodded that he could continue. Jai searched for the words, but the tale was empty of heat. He might as well have been reading one of those dusty Old Tongue dictionaries.

The Gray pushed, “What does the Black Tower think of this treaty?”

Jai might have been concerned over the mention of politics stirring inside his home, but a breath swat the worry aside. “You know I can’t answer that,” his gaze leveled, he finally considered the Yellow. She had been quiet most of this time.

“Aes Sedai have been in the palace since the treaty negotiations began months ago. I know because I was present through the whole of it. Today they disappeared. Everyone assumes the White Tower sanctioned Trista’s presence. She’s not a warder so far as I can tell. So why was she there?" He shrugged. They all knew. It didn't need spoken. "She was downcast. Slow to walk. Intentional but sad, I think." He tried to remember. For some reason, her face blurred.

But a fresh draw of breath saw him continue, resolve reformed. "That’s why I am here. King Daimon is stuck between the two of our Towers, and I fear the White is withdrawing after many months of appearing otherwise. This treaty is signed and Trista is gone. There may be little that can be done to save her now, but I hope the White Tower returns or I fear the Seanchan will swallow us all up. And more of your Sisters with it.” He briefly considered Nythadri in a damane collar.

It was as heartfelt a request as he could muster in the stiff circumstances. Though it felt like another man was speaking. He found his hands idly trailing the cording of the hilt, but it was casual and soft as a caress. Almost like the motion meant something to him, but he couldn’t quite remember what.

He didn’t break Esenya’s gaze, but for some reason he quietly added something, not sure where the words came. As though asking if it was the honest truth. “Servant of all?
Only darkness shows you the light.

Messages In This Thread
The Point of No Return - by Kemala - 01-16-2023, 11:52 PM
RE: The Point of No Return - by Natalie Grey - 01-17-2023, 12:52 PM
RE: The Point of No Return - by Jay Carpenter - 01-17-2023, 08:59 PM
RE: The Point of No Return - by Natalie Grey - 01-17-2023, 10:12 PM
RE: The Point of No Return - by Jay Carpenter - 01-17-2023, 11:01 PM
RE: The Point of No Return - by Kemala - 01-29-2023, 10:03 PM
RE: The Point of No Return - by Jay Carpenter - 01-30-2023, 01:13 AM
RE: The Point of No Return - by Kemala - 01-31-2023, 01:06 AM
RE: The Point of No Return - by Natalie Grey - 02-03-2023, 09:23 PM
RE: The Point of No Return - by Jay Carpenter - 02-12-2023, 07:36 PM