This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Jacinda Cross
[Image: 1dfe720c2f9fde9eba437c056b9fe7a9--lucy-l...sZwdNo.jpg]

The girl seemed to relax and went back to her tablet. Jacinda was content to let her do so. Her feet crunched on the gravel of the shoulder and the breeze flowed through her hair, the vast expanse of corn fields seeming to sway in the same direction. As she walked past the jeep she could see the empty rows in between come into focus, then disappear, one then the other, on forever. It was hypnotic.

The breeze through the fields created a rustling that seemed to drown out everything around her. It seemed like her life had changed. Something had changed. In her. In the world. She wasn't really sure what it was, not in the slightest. She just felt....power. In herself, that is. A sense of control. Always before it had been her parents in control. And then Regan. And that was normal. She was young. But she now felt like she was ready. Filled with potential. She realized she had a smile on her face.

Finally, noises from the outside broke through to her. Honking. She turned around and realized she had walked at least three quarters of a mile west from where they had pulled off. She squinted against the sun that still blazed high and saw Regan in his red shirt waving with both arms. Jacinda laughed and turned around to head back.

But she didn't run. At first. And then she decided she wanted to run. She felt all this pent up energy within her. A week in bed, weeping and sleeping. She guessed she had gotten enough rest and over the flu or whatever it was. She ran, arms and legs and heart pumping, faster and faster, long legs taking great strides. Just ran and ran and ran. Other than a chase during a hunt, she didn't really do this often. This time, though, it was just for her. Because she felt like it. Because it was fun.

She arrived barely winded and feeling a rush through all her limbs. The light sheen of perspiration felt cool in the breeze. Regan looked at her- she still had to get used to the fact that she could meet his eyes now instead of looking up at him- with a look of concern. She thought she saw a question. After a moment's thought, "Oh. Just felt like a walk. Or a run."
She giggled. He rolled his eyes which made her laugh more.

"Well Adam here has a leaky radiator. Right where the hose clamps in. Too big to tape off or anything."

The man, Adam, looked surprised. "So odd. We were doing so well. Figured I was just low. We left the previous town like an hour ago. If the leak was that bad, it shoulda overheated just a mile or two from there."

Regan mopped his face and forehead with his handkerchief. "Sometimes a small hole will suddenly widen out real quick. I've seen it happen."
He looked from Jacinda to the girl. He seemed lost in thought for a moment. "Look, ifn you want, I can stay with you while you call a tow. My wife can take your daughter into the next town. It's just five miles down the road. Get some water and food. Small town mechanics are notoriously slow, if they are open at all today. But if they have an auto shop I can help you put on a new hose and all."

Jacinda raised her eyebrows, alarms going off. They never took strangers with them. What the hell was she supposed to do with some girl? She opened her mouth and Regan gave her that look. Her mouth clicked shut, but not without giving him a glare.

The man seemed to look at his daughter then Regan. "No, I couldn't impose like that. Julie can stay with me."

But Regan interrupted. Jacinda was surprised at how insistant he was being. "Yeah but why? Jacinda will take care of her."
The man looked at Jacinda. She smiled at him, not sure what he saw when he looked at her. She and Julie were only 7 or 8 years apart. And Regan was gonna stay behind. "Your daughter have a phone? Have a locator on it? Those work even if the battery is dead. May not feel like it, but its gonna get hot out here."
He knew all about geo-locating phones.

Adam considered, looking at Jacinda. Then shook his head. "I'm sorry, Regan. I know you are just tryin to help, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable. No offense meant."

Relief flooded through Jacinda, though she wasn't really sure why. Watching the girl wouldn't have been that bad. Regan was pissed, but she figured only she could see it. The tightness to the eyes. It vanished quickly though. "Totally understand. And I can't say I blame you. Still, if you'd like some water and food we can keep you company. Jacinda, can you get something from the cooler?"

The man seemed relieved and also like he wanted to make up for his refusal. "That's kind of you Regan. Jacinda. We'd appreciate that."
Jacinda went to forerunner and opened the door of the back passenger seat. The big red igloo was packed with ice and water bottles, some sodas, even a few beers. There was also a tray with store bought sandwiches wrapped in paper and plastic, keeping them out of the melting ice. She plunged her hand into the ice water and it burned as she got a few bottles- including one for Regan- and then a soda for Julie. She grabbed a few sandwiches too and headed back.

"Here you go,"
she said, handing the drinks around. Julie looked at the bottle and smiled.

"Hey Dr. Pepper. How'd you know?"
Jacinda laughed.

"That's all we get. Regan doesn't like soda so it's all for me. Well, you, now, too."
She cracked her bottle and saluted the girl. "Cheers."

They sat around or in the vehicle eating and chatting mostly. Regan told how they were moving east for work and fresh start. That still hurt to think about but she was with him- home- and that's all that mattered. The Atharim were everywhere, if you knew where to look. She'd met many with him. The niece working with her Uncle. Only now, she supposed, it'd be a husband wife team. Idly, she wondered what would happen of any of their previous acquaintances saw them. She'd have to ask Regan about that.

Adam and Julie were headed to Virginia. She lived with her mom in Colorado but it was spring break and Julie had gotten out early to head back east with her dad. She had an older sister, 18, who lived with her mom too. The girl didn't talk too much, but she wasn't rude or bratty. Jacinda liked that.

Wasn't too long before the tow truck showed. Then it was luck they'd stayed behind with them. Adam and Julie couldn't have ridden in a towed car and the cab of the truck was cramped. They moved the cooler and soon Jacinda and Julie sat in the back seat while Regan and Adam sat up front, following the truck.

"Look, we're stayin at a motel up here. If you want, have the driver drop the vehicle in the parking lot of the motel and you and I can work on it while the girls hang out in the room."

It seemed so easy and offhand. And it was convenient. Julie would be within walking and hearing distance of her dad at all times. Jacinda wasn't surprised he agreed especially with Julie chiming in, "It IS hot dad. I would like to be in air conditioning for a little while."

And so, when all was said and done, they had checked into the motel, a ground floor room, and just outside the room, in front, the Jeep was unloaded, Forerunner next to it. There were two twin beds. And AC and a TV. Adam asked Julie of she was ok and then told her to be good- and gave her an affectionate hug that tugged at Jacinda for some reason- before heading out with Regan to the auto store. Soon Jacinda was glad of the 2 beds. She could relax on one while Julie was on the other.

It was pretty peaceful.

Edited by Jacinda, Jul 2 2018, 04:59 PM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jacinda - 10-25-2014, 08:30 PM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-01-2019, 06:19 AM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-03-2019, 09:25 PM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-05-2019, 12:33 AM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-07-2019, 02:45 AM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-07-2019, 11:05 PM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-08-2019, 10:37 PM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-10-2019, 05:53 AM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-13-2019, 12:01 AM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-13-2019, 09:34 PM
RE: Jacinda Cross - by Jacinda - 03-14-2019, 06:36 PM