This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A friend in need
Jon relaxed a bit further as he listened to Reed's disclosure of what Nick Trano was really doing in Moscow. Perhaps she had meant it as a peace offering, if so he'd take it. He had to admit to himself, the plan was a decent one -- except for the fact that as inexperienced as he was -- and as blindingly foolish he'd acted so far -- he knew Reed was recording them? -- he was half likely to be a liability rather than an asset.

Perhaps he had been a little overly aggressive toward Reed, Jon reflected -- although he wasn't going to admit it. In the courtroom as well as on the battlefield, you didn't ever point out your own mistakes or errors -- and you never let up your attack when you caught your opponent off guard. She was indeed right that Trano shared in the blame for earning Jon's ire, and foolishness was no excuse -- but politics was about making friends, and he needed this relationship to stay strong. How many other potential presidential candidates who also had the ability to touch the power of the Great Spirit were likely to come along anytime soon?

And then Jon burst into genuine laughter at Reed's suggestion Trano would try to publicly expose him. A laugh of simple mirth, only, not borne of malice or scorn. "All right, fair enough Ms. Reed, I'll dial it back a notch. We can be three friends in mutual need of each other here."
He glanced over at Nick. "He'd no more publicly expose me than cut off his left hand. Were he to do so, his own abilities would undoubtedly get exposed as well. It's mutually assured destruction. He can't possibly be that stupid."

Jon paused for a moment and drew more of the power as he stared at Nick. He knew the man could feel that menacing aura around Jon pulse and expand. "You're not, right? After the mess you've landed in here and what you failed to tell me, I kind of have to ask."

That was probably as far as he should push his anger with Nick. The man was like a skittish colt right now, push him too hard while nudging him in the right direction and he was likely to bolt and jump the pasture fence. And besides, Reed was the one who could spill everything to her agency without any fear of repercussion. In fact, she'd likely be rewarded for her efforts. Until Jon found out about it, of course. He wasn't ready for anyone, even his own government -- especially his own government -- to have the first inkling about the emerging ability among the natives and what Jon was doing about it. Besides, who knew how many Atharim were on the inside?

He turned back to Reed. "I don't disagree that this plan for Nick to get close to the Ascendancy so more can be learned about a potential enemy isn't a good plan. And I said I wouldn't interfere as long as you keep anything you've learned to yourself. But there is more at stake here than the opportunity to use him -- and you are using him -- for intelligence gathering. He's too valuable an asset to the entire country's future to be risked this way without taking proper measures."

He paused. Idly Jon wondered how Nick Trano felt about the two of them talking like he wasn't even there. Of course, Jon was still mad at him so he could just deal with it at the moment. He needed Jon as surely as Jon needed him, even if perhaps he didn't realize it yet. "I told you that you have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes. Unless he learns more, he's more likely to kill himself -- or get killed, perhaps by the Ascendancy, than achieve the objective. Would you send a soldier to battle with a squirt gun?"

Perhaps if there was no way around Trano bolting off to the Middle East at the moment so Jon could keep him here, close by, there was a way to bring Jon to Trano on his travels. He was sure he could convince the Council of Native Americans that it was a good idea to build this relationship with Trano, and he could do most of his work from anywhere. But how would a member of the Press Corps explain why he was keeping a loudmouthed lawyer in tow?

Jon shrugged. Perhaps, now that the three of them seemed to be reading the same book, if not exactly the same page, they could work something out.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 10-28-2013, 05:26 AM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM
[No subject] - by Nick Trano - 10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 10-29-2013, 10:43 PM
[No subject] - by Nick Trano - 11-05-2013, 01:26 AM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 11-06-2013, 04:52 PM
[No subject] - by Nick Trano - 11-19-2013, 12:33 AM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 11-21-2013, 07:14 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 11-22-2013, 04:23 PM
[No subject] - by Nick Trano - 11-22-2013, 10:42 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 11-23-2013, 10:39 AM