This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Day Trippin'
NPC: Bear

Bear prowled the University library, silently chuckling to himself how he'd managed to sneak up on Jon yet again. The meeting had gone well, though why Jon had been so curious about reports of the Sickness among the tribes and what the leaders were doing with the cases still remained a mystery to him.

And suddenly...a being sprang up in the library and vanished, before Bear could even see who it was -- but not before he could catch the scent. It was the young pup again, and there was something more...solid to his presence in the Spirit World. Like a babe screaming in one's ear as opposed to one in the next room.

So headstrong, he's going to get himself killed here,
Bear thought to himself. He'd already lost the young wolf's trail, so he sent out his presence, from wolf to wolf to wolf. Have you seen this young pup?

An answer finally came, imprinted with the now familiar scent. Here.

Bear followed the scent, and saw him -- on a beach, coughing and sputtering. But it was just a momentary glimpse he caught, for the pup vanished again. This time Bear could sense where he went -- straight into the middle of the sea. Fool.
He pondered just waiting ashore to see if the pup would make it out alive.

Of course, it was a nice day for a swim. It wasn't often he had the leisure in the waking world. The Arctic Ocean wasn't exactly a beach hot spot, even in the middle of summer. He changed to his human form and dove into the calm, warm waters.

It wasn't too much trouble to imagine a pocket of air around his head that he could breathe. Much easier than attempting to change the qualities of water to be breathable -- and much safer. As he flashed further down through the water, he began to feel increasing pressure, so he lent some part of his focus to keeping that at bay. Just a small bubble around himself. Attempt to change too much of this place's natural state, and it could -- and would -- push back, until the strain of attempting to maintain the changes caused the mind to snap.

He continued to swim. Ah, there he was. A shipwreck -- and the pup was sitting on the bottom of the ocean, reading. Bear considered sneaking up on him as well -- but considering where he was, it would probably spell disaster. So Bear pushed out his presence well before coming near, catching his attention.

You truly know nothing,
Bear sent to him. Forcing this place to your will. You come too strongly! Do you understand that a moment's slip on your part will cause the pressure of the ocean to crush you before you could blink?
John felt Bear's presence. He was distant but coming closer. John was a little surprised that Bear didn't just appear like he would have expected him to do. Funny thing was that before Bear got to close he 'sent' John a warning?

You truly know nothing,
Bear sent to him. Forcing this place to your will. You come too strongly! Do you understand that a moment's slip on your part will cause the pressure of the ocean to crush you before you could blink?

I truly know nothing, you are right there my friend.
John stood up and faced Bear. For some reason Bear did not seem as imposing as he did in their last encounter. John was, at first, annoyed with Bear's manner. This was not a good time. Everything that John was taught along with his own independent research told him that this find was impossible. It was as if everything he had believed was called into question with undeniable evidence. But then, John remembered his Bible. Proverbs 3:11,12. John couldn't help but to smile. It was as if God was reassuring him in his time of confusion and doubt.

John had a sense that he had underestimated just how much of the past really was obscured or altered by forces unknown. He had always known that the Bible was not comprehensive, it did not tell him everything that he wanted to known. But it did tell he everything he needed to know, at least from the standpoint of salvation. Now he wondered just how much manipulation the text went through over the course of the last 2000 years. With the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls it was evident that the Old Testament had not been altered after the 1st century, but it was quite plain that the Church Fathers did influence the New Testament up until the 4th century. He was beginning to see a possible reason for the contest over what would be considered canon. The return of the dead gods
. How much did they know back then? And why keep it a secret?

John could smell Bear's disapproval at what he had done. He just didn't understand if Bear was displeased with John's coming here too strongly or his forcing this place to his will. John decided to answer honestly.

The dead gods are returning. And they are going to fight a war here on earth that may destroy it. The Great Spirit set me on a mission over 10 years ago. I had believed that he wanted me to aid in the destruction of monsters that plague the earth. Now I am convinced that I am supposed to unearth and expose the fact that these dead gods are returning NOW and help prepare for the aftermath of that war.

The Great Spirit marked me as His. A tool to do a specific task. When I am finished, I will be free. Unfortunately, that freedom will probably come with my death. I do what I must as I am guided by the Holy Spirit of God. May He have mercy on my soul.

John sent out his impression of the events as he saw them unfolding. For some reason what he sent was different than what he envisioned. He sent The Last Hunt Comes

Edited by doulou, Oct 9 2013, 10:03 PM.
NPC: Bear

The sending hit Bear like the roar from an avalanche. Blood. Pain. Death. Fire. The stench of one's own fur burning as he gathered the strength and made one last, final lunge at his enemy's throat. He'd felt echoes of this in the memories of the wolves, scents of fear, anguish, mixed with determination -- and perhaps a bit of hunger in anticipation.

The Last Hunt.

Was this young dreamer delusional, or did he really have some insight into the future? Clearly, he believed he did, if driven to the bottom of the ocean to read some plaques and espouse his conviction he would not live through his trials. It was enough to give Bear pause to the notion he should help this young pup at all.

But if he didn't, the young one would probably get himself killed. Bear still wasn't quite sure how he'd managed to manifest himself here in real flesh. This was not a good thing, he was certain. The pup would burn himself out in a flash, wreck his body -- perhaps strand himself here, Bear didn't know. He had a sneaking suspicion that if the pup tried to wake if danger came, he'd find himself on the bottom of the ocean in the waking world.

Let me ask you this,
Bear sent to the young pup. How can you serve as a tool if you break yourself before the job is finished?
An image of a hammer, split in two as it struck the nail it was meant to pound. Tell me you do not feel the strain on your mind as you continue to try to force yourself on this place.
Strain?
John had to think about that second question. He didn't feel any more strain than one feels when swimming or running.

Actually, no I don't feel any strain. Is there any reason that I should? You don't seem to approve of how I came here today.
Bear did not have to answer John. John could feel Bear's thoughts on the subject. He couldn't really tell if it displeasure, unease, or sorrow. There was no doubt in john's mind however, that Bear did not think that John's manner of entry into the Spirit World was appropriate. john just didn't know why.

The answer to Bear's first question was much easier for John. I am soldier, and this is a war. I will do my duty.

I must return to the natural world. When I come here next, I will do so in the usual manner. And maybe you will be able to explain to me why this is the wrong thing to do. John shifted back to his loft in Moscow and stepped out of the dream. Once again, he suffered from a short bout of vertigo from the transition. Strain? The only thing that seemed weird to him was the actual jump from one world to the other.

Edited by doulou, Oct 12 2013, 03:37 PM.