This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Coming to a Resolution
[Image: IMG_5851.jpg]
Daryen

If Yui had been present, he might have teased her for being so secretive with the identity of his guest. Alas, she was busying herself with other more important matters, and Daryen did enjoy playing the game of the unknown. The Aes Sedai was as witty as he remembered her, and he was genuinely disappointed to have not spent more time in her company during her last visit. He had been busy, and was an admirer from afar, he recalled. When Fate deposited the Accepted into the charge of a visiting Sister, Daryen did not object. He would never think to interfere in the affairs of Aes Sedai, and he knew better than to contradict his sister her charge. Perhaps he could come to know her better in the future. He would like that.

Which was why he made no reference to the supposed ban of Aes Sedai visitors in the palace tonight. The two Sisters in the palace yesterday departed that very morning without so much as a goodbye, he recalled, but he wasn’t offended. He did not wonder if Nythadri Sedai was aware of her Mother’s decree because he honestly did not care other than to note the action as interesting as it was and watch the board shift as a result.

She was worried, and Daryen bowed his head to assuage her concern. “Her king does what he believes is best… for Arad Doman,” he added a qualifier at the end like dangling a string in front of a kitten, knowing she would be compelled to dissect the phrase for meaning. What motive he had was intended as comfort but also a careful laying down of a line. Most assumed the darling King of Arad Doman was a placeholder for the Dragon Reborn simply because he was a channeler. It wasn’t true at all. In fact, Daryen’s position as a peacekeeper played into many powerful hands. Decades before, Arad Doman was a sleepy little country that traded in wool and glass, but today it was one of the most prosperous in the land. Peace was coming, and with peace came power. Daryen did what was best for his people, and he meant to give them the well-earned respite they deserved. “Wars always come to an end,” he repeated what he once told Jai, whose struggle letting go of the battle behind was his greatest demon.

His smile was playful when he repeated the words she so longed to hear. “I have a contingency, should my allies prove absent when I need them,” and he laughed. Not at her expense, but at his own self-awareness that he was teasing. Dangerous to tease Aes Sedai, but he thought he might be forgiven. The warmth of his smile was as sure as much. He waved aside the moment and nodded his understanding of the reason she was here. In fact, he was glad for the pending reunion, aware of a longing that tugged at his friend.

“Jai left before dinner, and I haven’t seen him in some hours. You have my leave to speak to the gate guards to see which way he left, but he does create the most sharp and precise gateways. When he thinks to depart, he’s almost impossible to find again,” he laughed at that, remembering the enormous task it took to locate his brother’s whereabouts in the past. It spawned a memory of Jai being lost along the beach cliffs, and he was a terrible swimmer.

“In fact, this one time—“ he started to say, only his voice trailed part way through the story. His gaze was distant. Expression thoughtful. The light did not fade from his eyes, but something of his stance shifted like a slightly different phase of the moon shone a new light. The story shifted as well. The fact that he did not finish it was enough of a signal that what replaced it was worthy of serious consideration.

“May I make a recommendation, Nythadri Sedai?” When his attention focused singularly on one person, it gave the impression of pouring water upon desert soil. “I recommend checking on your Sisters in the White Tower.  They may need your help,” he said with no great sense of omen, but instead, with the imparting of trust.

“I should return to my party. If you’re hungry, I could send a plate. The finest meat you’d ever taste. It melts on the tongue like butter on a hot day.” He relayed his regret with no sense of warning nor speed of urgency to his steps. Yet he bowed gracefully and slipped from the room in a blur that may as well been a cloud passed on to grace someone else with their shade.
Seven ✧ Freyr ✧ Daryen

Messages In This Thread
Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 12-31-2022, 10:14 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-08-2023, 11:16 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-12-2023, 12:19 AM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-12-2023, 01:46 AM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Seven - 01-14-2023, 05:27 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-16-2023, 12:04 AM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Seven - 01-16-2023, 04:54 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-18-2023, 08:49 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Seven - 01-20-2023, 10:19 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Raffe - 02-17-2023, 02:44 PM