This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Filling the Days
[Image: Devika-Sedai.jpg]
Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah

She finally saw a truer face than the court jester; the one who perhaps took a gamble on bargaining his soul to the dark in the first place, and would now try to weasel his way out of paying the price. Devika did not allow herself to move away, though when she finished her adjustment of his collar, she did not touch him further. For this, she was serious. Her chin was held aloft as she considered his words, eyes fierce. He was astute. Jole had no real choice, but she did indeed want willingness.

It would be an easy condition to agree to, for the simple reason that Devika did not believe they would actually survive the effort. The plan was too grand and ambitious to be achieved without sacrifice, and she really would give anything to see the Last Battle won by the Light – her own life included. But words made tight bonds for Aes Sedai.

“I will do what is within my power. But I cannot promise you will not have to pay for your previous crimes.” A brow rose, but there was little mirth in her expression. Doubtful he even considered atonement, though he should, and that was the point at which Devika drew her own line. When their alliance ended, he would still be the man who once sold his soul to the Dark One, and she would still be an Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah.

If the legends about Ashtaroth were true, she did not think he would find the reminder of his sins particularly worrisome. If Jole was confident he would be alive to exact the price of their deal in the first place, she imagined he would be likewise confident he could thwart whatever justice came for him. How much of a head-start she gave him depended entirely on how willing a "partner" he really proved to be.

She did not miss his use of the word, but did not seem to find it offensive, despite the rather obvious difference in their roles. She had been listening to the story he told the Dragon, after all. And Devika would treat him as fairly as he allowed himself to be treated.

“When the Dragon Reborn has won the Last Battle for the Light, I will release you from my bond, and I will return the power I took from you,” she said. There was no misdirection there, and she did not think he would have cause to quibble over her wording. She retook her seat, and watched him expectantly, presuming he would now offer up the information she had asked for about this mysterious dreadlord.

Messages In This Thread
Filling the Days - by Jaxen Marveet - 08-09-2023, 05:22 AM
RE: Filling the Days - by Jaxen Marveet - 08-10-2023, 01:53 AM
RE: Filling the Days - by Morven - 08-11-2023, 06:23 PM
RE: Filling the Days - by Jaxen Marveet - 08-12-2023, 07:58 PM
RE: Filling the Days - by Morven - 08-24-2023, 04:29 PM
RE: Filling the Days - by Jaxen Marveet - 09-01-2023, 06:12 PM
RE: Filling the Days - by Morven - 09-17-2023, 08:33 PM
RE: Filling the Days - by Jaxen Marveet - 09-18-2023, 07:02 PM
RE: Filling the Days - by Morven - 09-20-2023, 06:55 PM
RE: Filling the Days - by Jaxen Marveet - 09-20-2023, 11:20 PM
RE: Filling the Days - by Morven - 09-21-2023, 08:28 PM