This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Awakening
He was remarkably humble, which was probably fortunate given his position, but also highly unusual. Morven hadn’t come here bristling, but she had been ready and expecting to need to prove something. Her whole life she had come across that wall again and again, and by now it was second nature to fight for her place. But if anything, it was her doing the judging of his character, not the other way around. She respected his motivations, realised immediately that this was a man she could follow. But she understood the resentments of the ranks a little now too. No man who desired power for himself, or felt that it was his due, would easily suffer a man like Michael in charge. As the Garden continued to grow, he might have a need to watch his back.

“You’re different from your reputation,” she conceded. Her eyes narrowed, but it was only in tease. Ultimately Morven would do as she was ordered, though she was unlikely to ever hold her tongue from speaking her mind, whatever the consequence. Since by now it seemed apparent he wasn’t going to insist on formality she wouldn’t waste time on it either, though in that case she found his manners lacking, for not even having thought to offer her a seat.

“Oh aye, you don’t get rid of me that easily.” When she moved it was like a lioness. The office was pretty spartan, and it was the edge of his desk she leaned against. She’d asked for this opportunity, and she wouldn’t squander it. When the shit hit the fan – either because the Atharim got their shit together, or the wrong person decided to make a play for power – she knew where she wanted to be. “I won’t let this world burn,” she said. “Teaching bairns to be safe is important. I wouldnae let a girl die. But believe me when I say there are others out there already doing that work.” She half raised a brow, but spilling Network secrets would be stupid. The Custody had been slow. Even the Ascendancy had admitted that not too long ago he did not even know women could wield the power.

“It’s exactly the al’Hasans of this world that concern me. The Theo Andlains. Creatures like the ijiraq, and the woman at the fundraiser ball. The people it’s already too late to teach to be safe. Not to mention the goddamn snakes.” She spoke with passion, a resolution not easily turned aside. “It’s those like you and I who will stand before the chaos, so that others may be safe. The world is changing too quickly to do it peacefully, and I intend to be ready to protect it. I’ll do as you bid, but that’s why I came here. To discover how we may work together.”

[[thanks Smile]]

Messages In This Thread
Awakening - by Michael Vellas - 03-03-2024, 02:32 PM
RE: Awakening - by Michael Vellas - 03-05-2024, 06:38 AM
RE: Awakening - by Morven - 03-08-2024, 03:13 PM
RE: Awakening - by Michael Vellas - 03-08-2024, 03:57 PM
RE: Awakening - by Morven - 03-08-2024, 08:18 PM
RE: Awakening - by Michael Vellas - 03-09-2024, 03:38 AM
RE: Awakening - by Jay Carpenter - 03-09-2024, 12:05 AM
RE: Awakening - by Michael Vellas - 03-09-2024, 09:30 AM
RE: Awakening - by Morven - 03-22-2024, 08:03 PM
RE: Awakening - by Michael Vellas - 03-23-2024, 04:06 AM