This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Jared Vanders
The Dust Settles

To: Danjou, Jacques, CEO Légion Première

On Magic and Its Use
Contents:

I. Terminology
II. Magic Basics
III. Combative (Black) Magic
IV. Healing and Defensive (White) Magic
V. Detection of Practitioners
VI. The Sickness and Blocks
VII. Suggestions and Closing

I. Terminology
The terminology used in this report is what the writer prefers to use to refer to distinctions between types of magic and may not be the same terminology used as another practitioner. As the writer learns more, terms can be added and/or revised to accommodate new knowledge. For your convenience, I have defined the terms as such:

Black Magic/Mage – Combative magic/a practitioner that specializes in the use of combative magic

White Magic/Mage- Healing and Defensive Magic/a practitioner that specializes in the use of healing and defensive magic

Red Mage – A practitioner that is able to use both black and white magic, but is unable to do it to the degree of those who specialize in either form

Mana/Energy – The source from which magic derives. In order to work a spell, energy, or mana, must first be collected

Spell – The effect of a practitioner’s gathering of energy and manipulation of said energy, see Section II.

II. Magic Basics
Magic is composed of five elements - fire, air, water, earth, and spirit. You can use each element on its own, or you can combine them to make more complex spells. All of this is dependent on the skill level of the user. Also it has been observed that multiple spells can be used at the same time – once again dependent of the skill level and experience of the user. It seems that some spells can be subjected to natural laws. By casting a fire spell into water, the fire will be eliminated. The result of such a combination could potentially be steam which could still burn. More testing on this would be required to discern what the exact limitations are. Knowing this principle, even small spells could be utilized to create a lot of damage – please see section III for more details on this.

III. Combative (Black) Magic
Black magic is magic primarily used for destruction or harm. Fire can be used to burn, water to drown, and earth to create earthquakes. By combining elements, black magic can become more destructive as seen by the explosive earthen spires created by the CCD operative in Jeddah (the writer hypothesizes that this was done by combining earth and fire). Also by utilizing the physical environment, a practitioner can enhance the strength of his or her magic. This is most evident with fire magic. Even a practitioner of small strength can utilize a simple fire spell, but by using it in a dry environment or combining it with oil or petroleum, a small spark can become an inferno. It needs to be kept in mind however, that the fire could easily get out of control. I do not recommend this tactic for novices, rather it should be employed in situations in which the fire can be controlled or stop in order to prevent friendly casualties

IV. Healing and Defensive (White) Magic
Healing magic, although possible, is a gift not held by all. My own teacher was unable to use it, but I have some basic understanding of how to heal. Healing, however, can be dangerous. In my experience, the healed individual often becomes exhausted after the healing spell is used. My hypothesis is that the healing spell calls on the reserves of the human body causing the body itself to heal at a faster rate. This could prove to be dangerous to soldiers that may be in a very weak state – even deadly. Defensive magic is can prevent attacks from hitting the user or anyone else the spell is cast on. The author has little experience with defensive magic, but it can be observed by watching the CCD operative. He was able to prevent bullets from hitting him and it is a perfect example of how defensive magic can be used in battle.

V. Detection of Practitioners
Having been in the presence of a male practitioner before, I know that another male practitioner can be detected as long as they are summoning energy for a spell or actively casting. It is important to note that a practitioner can learn a spell by simply observing another caster cast it, although I was unable to learn those used by the operative in Jeddah. It seems as if the learner needs to be within the presence of the teacher to learn spells. It is unknown by the author if female mages exist and how to detect them if they are. Please see sections VI and VII for more information on detection.

VI. The Sickness and Blocks
After the first time I used magic, I was struck down with an illness that included flu-like symptoms. According to my teacher, this sickness had a direct correlation with my use of magic. Until I could learn how to control my own power, I would have the symptoms. The dangers of the sickness are not the only thing that is worrisome. According to rumors, people who have this sickness disappear and so do other practitioners. This will make finding other mages more difficult as they tend to try to blend in. Along with this, I hypothesize that by finding mages earlier and teaching them how to use their powers, we can prevent the sickness from even taking place.

New mages also tend to develop a block that prevents them from using spells when they desire. The mage can only use a spell when a certain condition is met, for example, my block was that I could only use magic if someone around me was injured. The block had to be broken to allow me to use magic when I willed. In order to do that, my teacher tricked me into thinking he was injured, and when he showed me that he wasn’t injured, I was able to do so without issue.

VII. Suggestions and Closing
I think that there are several steps we should take. First of all, we need a plan on how to recruit mages to our cause. Detection is the issue here. We need to find out if there are female mages and how to detect them and research how to detect mages when they are not using magic. I think that will greatly increase our success. Also, hopefully we can learn of them before they develop the sickness and avoid it all together. Of equal importance, we need to learn how to defend ourselves from magical attacks. Mages should be taught basic defensive spells, but for non-magical personnel, we need to determine how to help them avoid such attacks. We should research into developing some type of armor that deflects magical energies. On the note of black and white magic, it seems as if mages can use both to some extent (with the exception of healing), but I still believe that most have a strong strength for one or the other. It will be best to figure out where each mages skills lie and to apply them in that way. For example, if we recruit a mage that has strong healing skills, it would be better to utilize those skills in a medical unit rather than a combat unit.

If you have any questions on this report, do not hesitate to contact me. If I do not know the answer, I will hypothesize and hopefully we can test it later.

Report Prepared by Legionnaire 1e Classe Jared Vanders

Messages In This Thread
Re: Jared Vanders - by Jared Vanders - 06-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Re: Jared Vanders - by Jared Vanders - 07-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Re: Jared Vanders - by Jared Vanders - 08-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Re: Jared Vanders - by Jared Vanders - 09-30-2014, 09:50 AM