This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Charms
At the end of the day, Jacques had no interest in who came out on top, so long as the country was stable, the people could live in peace. In Africa, that was asking far too much, and it was the very reason he had hated the extremists in the Middle East so much.

They had had stability. A functioning economy, religious freedom, electricity, water, education. And they had thrown it away for one charismatic asshole who had wanted all the power to himself. Because his 'God' had decreed it. Because they were ruled by money. Because 'infidels' walked their streets. Whatever their reason, they had thrown away the very things so many people in Africa would gladly kill for, if someone were willing to lead them to that cause.

Of course, so long as Africa remained the war-torn, dangerous place it was, his company would be in high demand, and would make countless millions in profits. There would always be those willing to pay top dollar for his men's services. And until the time came that they were no longer needed, he had to do what was necessary to keep them well funded and unchallenged.

He would, in the end, make his allegiance to whichever faction offered the most money, and the best plan to keep Sierra Leone quiet and safe. And that would not be General Wallace-Johnson of the Mende. Nor would it be General Katlego of the Temne. The elected government was too depleted, too torn asunder, to bring things back under control.

He had his suspicions about her, but had no way of knowing exactly which faction she worked for. Trano was an easy way into CCD territory, and thanks to his position would have offered a means of getting close to some very important people. American, perhaps?

"I have made a career of being underestimated, Mademoiselle Reed. Most of my enemies only loose money, and rarely realize how badly taken they were in the process. Wallace-Johnson cannot be allowed to seize control. That will only end in a sea of blood, and no one will earn a single cent for years, if ever. Liberia, I fear, is poised to seize the south-east. My company has a reputation in Africa, that we do not pander to any one foreign power. That we are African, with African loyalties."
He was not so foolish as to turn down any offers that were handed to him, but he had to be careful not to undermine his reputation either.

Her threat seemed to fall on deaf, or indifferent, ears. He had enough enemies ahead of him, and no desire to make more if he could avoid it. But equally, he would not let her run rampant if her means lead down a dark road. He wanted a quick, certain, victory. An end to the fighting as quickly as he could manage.

Whether she or her employers would underestimate him and his company waited to be seen. "The Chinese have shown themselves to have the deepest pockets so far, and they hold many service contracts with my company. It is in my bests interests to keep them happy. How will letting you come with me to their embassy achieve that?"

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 07-19-2014, 02:35 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 07-28-2014, 07:40 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 07-28-2014, 08:38 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 07-28-2014, 09:25 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 07-29-2014, 06:14 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 07-29-2014, 07:39 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 07-29-2014, 08:28 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 07-30-2014, 06:14 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 07-31-2014, 05:19 PM
[No subject] - by Jacques - 08-11-2014, 07:58 PM
[No subject] - by Ninacska - 08-16-2014, 06:50 PM