This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Furia and the Atharim
I, in my very professional and esteemed opinion, feel that whomever came up with this deeply important question, is really on to something. And is probably ridiculously brilliant, and handsome. Of course.

As I'm not versed in...uhhh...I dunno what sort of degree would cover this kind of thing? Social....social/cultural studies stuff I guess? Anywho...usin' my wordz and all that goodly stuff. Are Furia human at all?

I'd be more prone to believe that the Furia are human. Just like Channelers and like...Wolfbrothers and what not, that it's a naturally occuring ability in humans. But is it an entierly random thing, or is it a genetic trait?

If it's genetic, if it passes from mother to daughter, then the Atharim would likely have made it a point to keep track of the Furia through the generations, and made a point of keeping them in the fold. They've had a long time to sort this out, so in all likelyhood, most Furia are Atharim by now (again, if it's a genetic trait, and not a random 'will of the Creator/as the Wheel wills it).

In most cases, being Atharim is a family tradition; outside recruitment is a challenge at the best of times. How do you take a full grown adult, who up till yesterday knew monsters weren't real, and turn them into a full fledged hunter of those things that go bump in the night? Can you really risk bringing a total unknown into your super-secret organization? Can they be trusted to keep the secret, and to operate in the shadows?

By keeping it within the family, so to speak, each generation of hunters is raised within that secret society. It's their life, their entire world, and it holds their ultimate loyalty (minus them rowdy rebelious teenagers, but they usually grow out of it, right?).

So back to the Furia. If it's genetic, then most Furia are raised Atharim. The Atharim would come to take it for granted that Furia are part and parcel (part in parcel? is that even a saying?) with the Atharim. They've always been Atharim, they always will be Atharim, right?

So I figure that the Atharim see the Furia as, probably, human, but more importantly as an asset of the organization. They can't be allowed to live 'normal' lives, as the Atharim task is too important. Could they even be trusted to be? Without the years of training to control and understand their abilities, would a Furia be able to function on their own? Or would the constant barrage of emotions eventually drive them insane, perhaps to the point of violence, making them no better then the monsters the Atharim hunt?

So in the end, my vote is that while Furia are human, the Atharim see them as a tool, an asset. Perversion (intentional or not) of their own history would be an easy thing in this case, to 'edit' the origin myths of the Furia such that they are 'known' to have always been of the Atharim. Furia outside the Atharim fold would be hunted and either recruited or killed. And if killed, never in a way that loyal Furia would know of it, unless to serve an example of why the Furia need to stay with the Atharim. Not as some veiled threat, but more of a 'look, she went crazy and murdered people, because she was alone. You're safe with us though.'

That's enough ramblnig for me for now. I should really be wordifyin' a post or something.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 07-24-2013, 05:48 PM
[No subject] - by Hood - 07-24-2013, 11:31 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 07-25-2013, 04:13 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-25-2013, 08:22 AM
[No subject] - by Jaxen Marveet - 07-26-2013, 06:14 AM
[No subject] - by Rune - 07-26-2013, 10:27 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-26-2013, 10:49 AM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 07-27-2013, 07:41 AM
[No subject] - by Hood - 07-31-2013, 02:15 AM
[No subject] - by Aria - 07-31-2013, 07:54 AM
[No subject] - by Nick Trano - 07-31-2013, 08:10 AM