This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Of gods and men
I'll try to avoid duplicating what's already in my Biography. ^ _ ^

Claire is Atropos. In the Greek, Ατροπος, which means "She who cannot be turned." I believe this interpretation of her name derives from her independent nature, that is, she is a figure representing the neutrality of the Wheel itself, rather than any one side.

Atropos was one of the "Fates" in Greek mythology, known as the Moirai. They were deemed Θεαι Αρχαιαι, or "Ancient goddesses," and often depicted as ancient, gnarled women. I interpret this to mean that by the time the 5th Age pantheon of Greek gods came about, they were already very advanced in age. Perhaps in excess of 1,000 years by the time Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades came into rule. The three goddesses continued to live for a long time after.

They personified destiny and fate. Again this reveals their neutrality. Because their powers were uncontrollable and combined with their independence, they could not be controlled by the gods. They could not be commanded even by Zeus himself. Which leads me to believe that however rule of the Greek pantheon was divided, the three Fates were not a part of it. They were more like consultants, and more akin to oracles or prophets than the other channelers.

The first sister was Klotho who spun (or predicted) the thread of a future life. She had the ability to foretell the birth of prominent figures of fate, be he man or deity. It was her which sourced the prophetic return of gods to the Atharim legend: and named one "Apollyon."

The second sister was Lakhesis. She measured the direction and length of an individual thread. Her foretelling was mixed with a pinch of fortune-telling. Her fortunes, when sought by mankind, could guide the course of that person's destiny, though she did not have the power to change or induce it. Yet all three of the sisters could distribute good and bad fortune to men and nations.

The final and eldest sister was Atropos, the goddess most associated with death, though she had no authority over it. She is most associated with a pair of scales, a sun-dial, or the cutting instrument by which it was said she ended the lives of men and gods in the cutting of their threads.

Together, the sisters' powers were independent of the will of the ruling gods. At the helm of necessity, they directed fate through sharp foretelling of the Pattern, and watched that the fate assigned to every being by eternal laws might take its course without obstruction. They were also revered as more than readers of destiny. They sat in attendance of the great Zeus in his very court. They directed the furia. They ordained heavenly marriages and witnessed the binding of eternal oaths. They blessed the birth of the new gods Apollo, Artemis, and Athena. Accounts describe their participation in the wars of the gods, titans, and giants.

Claire is the oldest sister, Atropos. As a figure closely associated with death, I will have to consider her relationship to the other "death aligned gods." Hades and Atropos would have had respect between them, and perhaps an affinity of ideals. Just because the Fates were neutral doesn’t mean they didn’t each have favourites, or those whose goals they personally identified with more than others – even if their own goals prevented them from taking sides and forced them to stay true to the destinies they perceived as prophets. Likewise, the different warring factions probably had a favorite among the Fates that they turned to when it suited them. As the one associated with imminent death perhaps Atropos was most feared/least favoured. She might have liked Hades for that.

Regarding individual legend. In her biography, as retribution for murder, she killed the Atharim Hunter by snipping away at him. This is meant to be a parallel of the scissors she used to cut an individual thread's life.

The worst crime in the pantheon, in the fate's view, was murder. Because the undue cutting of a thread was a direct force against fate. Therefore, many myths link the Moirai to controlling the Erinyes, or the Furies, (Furia), whose justice against the murderer avenged the will of Fate. They were agents of Atropos. I do not interpret Atropos as having a forcible command over a furia, however, I believe that should she cross paths with one, we will experience a kinship, agreement of views, and natural alignment with one another. The relationship between Atropos and furia was probably one of respect and command rather than slave and mistress.

Finally, I will touch upon the Moirai as distributors of fortune. I view fortune telling as separate from foretelling. Fortunes are fluid, abstract and diffuse. Fortelling is something that will be no matter what. However directly from myth we are told that the Fates rarely distributed fortune to men.

Quote:<dl>
<dt>Quote:</dt>
<dd> </dd>
</dl>
There a giant fabric forged of steel and bronze will meet your eyes, the archives of the world, that fear no crush of heaven, no lightning's wrath, nor any cataclysm, standing safe to all eternity. And there you'll find engraved on everlasting adamant the fortunes of your line. I read them there myself and stored them in my memory and I'll declare them that you may not still labour in ignorance of things to come.’"
-Ovid

They journeyed often to the underworld. That is, there is known recordings in dealing with Charon, the ferryman of the Styx. They sat around the throne of Hades in equal positions, with each sister describing the things that were, are, and will be (sound like the three arches much?). Perhaps the most fearsome of descriptions reveals the eventual alliance between the goddesses of Fate and Hades.

Quote:<dl>
<dt>Quote:</dt>
<dd> </dd>
</dl>
"The lord of Erebus [Haides], enthroned in the midst of the fortress of his dolorous realm, was demanding of his subjects the misdoings of their lives, pitying nought human but wroth against all the Manes (Shades). Around him stand the Furiae [Erinyes, furies] and various Mortes [Thanatoi, Deaths] in order due, and savage Poena (Vengeance) thrusts forth her coils of jangling chains; the Fatae [Moirai, Fates] bring the Animas (Souls) and with one gesture damn them [literally, ‘the thumb,’ as in the Roman amphitheatre]; too heavy grows the work. Hard by, Minos with his dread brother [Rhadamanthys] in kindly mood counsels a milder justice, and restrains the bloodthirsty king [Haides]."
-Statius

Finally, it seems the only deity capable of placating the will of the Fates, though even she had no power over them, was Persephone, whom prayed on behalf of her husband that the Fates grant mercy. I believe the relationship between the sisters and Persephone, the wife of Hades, was ameable, friendly even, and perhaps part of the reason Atropos' cast some favoritism toward Hades.

As such, I think Claire will feel drawn toward a number of the underworld/death dieties of greek pantheon as well as the furia.

The only foretelling she has had was referenced in her biography. It was about Hades. It is about the future. And at this point, I am unsure if Claire is coming to Moscow because she is repulsed by or attracted to this inkling. We shall see. But she knows she needs to be here.

Edited by Claire, Sep 1 2013, 11:17 AM.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Jaxen Marveet - 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM
[No subject] - by Jon Little Bird - 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 08-28-2013, 03:44 PM
[No subject] - by Jaxen Marveet - 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM
[No subject] - by Jaxen Marveet - 08-28-2013, 04:10 PM
[No subject] - by Ascendancy - 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
[No subject] - by Nick Trano - 08-28-2013, 06:17 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Vellas - 08-28-2013, 11:44 PM
[No subject] - by Thalia - 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM
[No subject] - by Claire - 09-01-2013, 11:16 AM