This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Friends in High Places
Jensen accepted the hand with gentle pressure, and when he met Sofia’s gaze, it was with empathy for her situation and gratitude for the offer. “God bless you,” he said before he even realized it. Immediately afterward, he felt stupid. They’d given no indication that they were a religious family, and Jensen disliked imposing his beliefs on others. To that end, he wasn’t even sure if he still believed in anything either. It must have been the atmosphere: a hospital, someone in need, and a family in distress. After they left, he replaced the mask as Agent Devarona requested and followed without protest. Normally he would stop at as many rooms as possible on the way out simply to help as many as possible.

Back in the car, Kaleb grabbed his arm. “Why did you do that?” He demanded.

Jensen shook his head. He didn't know. “I understand you’re upset.”

“You’re damn right I’m upset. It is my job to protect you, and I can’t do that if you go around showing people who you are. And believe me, Jensen, it isn’t you they will blame…” His voice trailed. Then he muttered to himself, “they’re going to kill me.”

Jensen frowned. “I think it will be okay this one time. I’ll tell them you couldn’t have stopped me if you wanted to. Surely you won’t get in trouble.”

Kaleb was pale. “Trouble? That’s the least of my worries.” He sounded panicked and lowered his voice. “Don’t you get it? This is the CCD. A secure asset was compromised under my watch.” His eyes were huge, widened by anger but it was with fear that he rubbed his cheeks and pinched at his eyes.

Jensen slowly began to understand. “You don’t really mean that—” The look that Kaleb shot back at him chilled his spine, but Jensen only shook his head.

They didn’t speak the rest of the way back.