The First Age

Full Version: Getting Started
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, you created your character and he or she has been approved. The world is your oyster! But where to start? For those who aren’t sure, here's a quick run-down of the advice often offered new members! (It’s in no particular order)

Check out the biographies of other characters; sometimes you’ll find someone your character is likely to interact with by virtue of their job or location. Send that person a PM. For example, if you’re Atharim, go bug people who write Atharim. Etc. (well, not bug, but ask nicely  - they’re Atharim, after all). A full list of characters can be found here (but keep in mind this includes active and inactive characters, past and present).

Likewise, have a browse through current threads. Most of the time it’s fine to jump straight into these, particularly if it’s taking place in a public place. A thread that’s closed to others should state so either in its title or OOCly in the first post. If you’re not sure or want to be extra polite (or just to earn brownie points) PM the people involved. If you have an explosive entrance in mind, it’s probably best to ask first, otherwise have fun!

Jump into chat, plead the newbie, and ask for help. Usually someone will come to your rescue, or will at least offer ideas. There's a Who's Who guide here which lets you know who writes who and their usual chat handle. If you click on someone's profile, you can also easily see all attached accounts.

Too shy to barge into chat?  (I promise we’re all nice and don’t bite) Shout out for “help!” on the OOC boards, and pretty much the same thing will happen.

Took the plunge, started a thread - and no-one’s joined? It’s always possible other writers aren’t sure how to hop in, or are wondering if the thread is open to other players yet (particularly if the post ends in a way that’s ambiguous or doesn't easily give an opening for someone to write their character in). It's very unlikely you're being ignored, but you can always post something on the OOC board asking for others to join in.

Likewise, if you have an awesome idea for a plot but need other writers to get it off the ground, have a look through the current biographies and make unashamed use of the OOC board and PM system!

--------------------

Aaaaand, that's just about all I can remember/think of. Anyone else have suggestions?
Ooooh, thought of one I missed. You can also browse the Current Events forum for ideas. Most of the news entries can be used as starting points for plots (for example, the current Rougarou hunt is connected to the "heart doctor beats cardiac patient" entry).
*Nods*

Definitely send PM's out. I always get excited when I get one [Image: 7.png]

Everyone is pretty willing to jump in with some ideas and interactions with other characters.

Personally, I just PM'd everyone (I hadn't figured out there was a welcome thread hah) and went from there.

Nobody bit me, at least, I don't think. I didn't feel it if they did.