This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Grand Reopening [Baccarrat Mansion]

They stopped and Eliot explained things about the piece before them but she didn't seem interested in this nor the last several they had toured. And when she did speak it was about the cause of the fire. A fire caused by little godlings who he had helped escape the confines of the mansion. He'd taken a broken nose for his trouble so it didn't look like he was complicate in their leaving. Not that it mattered, no one really looked twice at the non-reasons given. Accidents happen.

Eliot chuckled. "I'd love to say it was an accident, but I'm pretty sure arson was involved." Covering their tracks, though no one really knows what they came into the Atharim headquarters for. "It started in the basement. And no one really knows what ignited and with all the rubble it was nearly impossible to tell the ignition source." The trailing fire from the woman, no that wasn't what made it spread he thought to himself.

"As for the woman who claims she was there. I wouldn't doubt it, we have many a women who frequent the mansion. What did she say exactly?"
“Hn,” she said. “Arson implies you have enemies.”

He did not immediately call an end to the conversation, which she presumed to be a good thing. Helena no longer bothered with the mask of nicety and now simply watched him with interest. He could have brushed her off – rumours abounded in Moscow, from conspiracist to the downright absurd, and most meant nothing. Given her suspicions she was aware that she should be cautious, but she was also aware that her name offered her some protection. Even cut off from her family, the disappearance of an Asquith would cause a fuss she imagined was better avoided. Though more than that single assurance, Helena was also confident that should her instinct here reveal something useful to her, she had something useful to offer in turn.

“What she said is irrelevant. I am confident we are talking about a supernatural occurrence, and it seems unusual to me that Baccarat would be targeted.” She gestured to the crystal exhibits and watched for his reaction. “Let me be frank, Mr Lagueux. I believe we may have goals in common. Our world is changing, and I would have a part in.”

Eliot smirked. She was a bit too sharp to keep moving in the same direction he had been. He was curious about what she knew. Or what she had heard, anyway. She was right arson was suspect. Supernatural was correct. Though he wasn't sure how much of that he wanted to admit. "Everyone has enemies. I'm sure you understand that as much as anyone else." He knew very little about her or her family. And he might have to do some digging when this was all over. But for now, he assumed that all of the rich and famous in Moscow had dirty little secrets they wanted kept quiet. "I won't deny the fact that it looks strange a supernatural fire, and to be honest the way the building practically melted, there is nothing other than supernatural that could explain it."

Eliot lead Helena to the private study upstairs. His father adorned the place in mahogany and very little crystal -- you'd think he'd love it, but it was a love hate relationship for the whole family. Almost sickening, some might say. The study was light with small flickering candle like bulbs, giving the air of an old school library for the 16th century. Floor to ceiling bookshelves filled with the greatest books of all time. There were no Atharim teaching in this room. But there were books that could have come from the same days of old.

He offered Helena a seat in one of the large sofas in the center of the room "Drink?" he asked as he poured himself a whiskey.

"I am curious as to what these common goals might be. I am always looking for allies in the right places."