This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

WOT on Prime- Episode 1-3- Spoil Away!
I don't buy that Laila was a Darkfriend. I am with Thal's reasoning on this. Given that killing a wife is the kind of thing that Jay would do on accident,  and something I would do to Jay just to torture him, I'm fine with the trauma. But only if they show the long-term effects. I like that it is going to be a reason why Perrin resists Faile for so long. The memory of his wife and moving on from her feels like a betrayal. It makes Perrin and Faile more interesting and we will root for their relationship when they finally do hook up. Shit, Perrin is the most controversial of the 3 boys. People like him until he becomes a pain in the ass, stuck in his own arc, and refuses growth for so long. This gives his resistance a chance to be interesting.

The Angreal was definitely noted, Nox. I knew exactly what it was when I saw it. I'm sure she used it Winternight. 

I always loathed the Shire-like perfection of EF in the books. It was incredibly irritating how it was just no big deal that their world was destroyed and rebuilt. Nothing and nobody is perfect like that. Plus it gave book 1 such a copy of the Hobbit feeling that it was a huge turn off to me the first time I read it. I know now that it was RJ getting his footing with the world and the story, but the fact that the Congars and whatever the other family was that were the only people in town to have any drama, fighting, disagreements, or conflict meant they must be dark friends actually elicits a visceral reaction out of me. 

Laila did not go to the women's circle ceremony that day. Something was bothering her. Mat's mom had cut off her hair and we don't see her at the women's circle ceremony either that day (unless I missed it). Nynaeve knows what's bother Laila. Apparently the whole town is aware of what's bothering Mat's mom. I also don't think that the women's circle would let Mat's little sisters suffer or go hungry. Yes they looked like they dire straights, but it could be that the Cauthon's were too proud to accept help. Mat resists the charity of his own two friends to buy a lantern (though eventually gives in). I think they simply were refusing help, but I also believe the women's circle would help the girls if they were really in trouble.

Long story short, it all feels very realistic to me. 

One of my favorite draws to WoT is the logic of Ishmael (and later Moridin). I really liked that his draw to the DO was not mustache twirling evil but to end suffering and the endlessness of it all. We have to show suffering, even in the most harmless kinds of suffering (oh my god a man cheats on his wife in the two rivers = suffering! The horror!) to demonstrate why the world is shit and should come to an end. That makes the counter of the Dragon all the more powerful that it deserves to be saved. 

You have to have darkness to show you the light. 

That's the entire point of Jai and Jay as a character and to me sums up the entire theme of the wheel of time and why I fucking love these books.
Only darkness shows you the light.

Messages In This Thread
RE: WOT on Prime- Episode 1-3- Spoil Away! - by Jay Carpenter - 11-24-2021, 03:13 PM