This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

WoT on Prime episode 5 SPOILERS
I have very mixed feelings about this episode. There were a lot of great things in it. 

I loved the emotion and world building. Both funeral rites were really well done. Like we had one for AS and one for their warders. And I love the idea of ritualized grieving. Especially in the context of someone like Lan who, in the books, was very restrained. He showed little emotion. A raised eyebrow was the the equivalent to shaking his fist, or statements like that.

Daniel Henney is more emotive, which I like. But I do still want some reserve since it is part of the solitary nature and character of him. I like that in a ritualized format, he is ALLOWED to grieve, to give vent. It is a safe space and place for that sort of thing. And he kills it (Though the ripping the shirt open as the camera hovered overhead felt a bit melodramatic. But in a ritual context, it works.

The Forsaken (and forgive me but every god-damned time I type forsaken, I inadvertently begin to type "foreskin" instead. It's like I need to put that damn 'e' after the 'r' in my default brain spelling of 'fore'. Anyway....) I just LOVED LOVED LOVED the way the forsaken were introduced. Ishamael had been named by Dana 2 eps ago but he was not identified as such. Here, we see a number of statues representing each.

The concept of these is brilliant enough and organic enough that I have to wonder if there are in fact cultures that make statues of demons and evil entities in order to drive them and their influence way. Was fantastic and a great way to show the depth of this world. I will have fun trying to figure out who is who. The short one was probably Sammael as was said. And Ishamael was sort of pointed out. The cat lady with the long neck...Idk, but I think Semiraghe. She's too bad ass to not include. If they merge her with Lanfear, that becomes more interesting. But a very organic way to introduce the forsaken.

Egwene was badasssss. I loved how her defiance dovetailed nicely with Nynaeve's story. Unlike you, Thal, though I wondered if they could have used a single line that connected the story she told to Rand's unsurety. It certainly did fit the idea that she was unbreakable. But that's a metaphor. She very much CAN die. Having her comment on "feeling" if Egwene died would have bee subtle enough but still vague enough that it would only be meaningful (in the context of Nynaeve's having unknowngly healed her) later on.

And I was so relieved that Perrin told her what he did. And that, once again, this Egwene fucking cares. Aside from a few scenes (like in book 2 when she was partially driven to protect Rand from the AS esp at Fal Dara) I never got the idea that cared that much about others. As abstract principles and such, sure. But not specific people or individuals. Even her "love" for Gawayn was shallow. Her friendships certainly felt disposable or at arms lengths, given how easily she turned on her friends or made sure that they did what she said or acknowledged her position.

But this Egwene is trying to convince Perrin to forgive himself. And she outs herself to Valda despite the danger to herself to protect him. And just with those little things, just like ones in previous episodes, Egwene shows herself to be a woman worthy of respect. Loved her.

Valda is a great evil guy. His perspective is terrifying and cruel. He has no qualms over the fact that one of the two will die- one of them innocent, if Egwene cannot channel. Innocence means nothing to him. 

Only issue was the way he seemed frozen and powerless against Perrin. "Light protect me, what are you!" or some such. Come on, man. You live in a world with Trollocs and Fades and channelers. Yellow eyes is disconcerting to be sure, but that wasn't the time to be hesitant and frozen. Maybe this emphasizes how litle combat he has seen. That he is only strong and in control when they are trussed and tied up for him. How this will work out when (and if) he has to face Galad in combat is unknown.

The washing of Egwene reminded me of the witch trials where the accused woman was poked and prodded and examined in humiliating ways that, frankly, were also done for titilation and sexual gratification. While I am glad they didn't go GOT about it, it had that air. They singled her out while leaving Perrin dirty. Another good job making you despise the WC.

Barney continues to kill it as Mat. Every episode makes me feel the loss more. I hope te new guy can carry him over. 

I am bit concerned that, given his role as the Dragon, their attempts at misdirection regarding Rand will backfire. Other than his breaking down Dana's door, we've seen little to put keep rand in the running. I checked the reddit analyzing possible candidates but it hasn't been updated. I would venture a guess that Matt, Egwene and Perrin seem to be pulling ahead. Nynaeve possibly, if people think Moiraine's assumption of 20 years is inaccurate. Rand mostly existed for exposition and/or to bounce off of. And I do love Josha as Rand. But if they don't give him a bit more, it will be really odd to have him be shown as the dragon, at least to the non book reader watchers. Because it comes out of nowhere.

but I am getting ahead of myself. We may see Tam's flashback or the battle of the blood snows in the next episode. If you recall, Moiraine met Suian for the first time in the books (excluding the prequel) in The Great Hunt. It was in that chapter that you learned they had been novices and accepted together and learned of Gitara's foretelling about the Dragon during the battle. That their animosity was a ruse. It seems we will be seeing this scene in this context instead. If so, we get more context about that vision. And perhaps more about Tam. We still have a lot to do and the Eye of the World still hasnt been introduced (it was in book 1 by Baalzamon, by loial and by a dying aiel maiden through the tinkers.) So I am will be patient.

I am not enamored with Loial's look. Frankly his wig is ridiculous and will take some getting used to. Someone compared him to "Snarf" in the thundercats. It made me laugh and I couldn't unsee it. That being said, his manerisms and such fit loial so that will happen, Im sure. I do miss the ears though.

Loial's finding Nynaeve off screen was clunky. Im sure theres a cut scene but damn, this was jarring.

My biggest pet peeve is how clean everything is. Ok, this is Tar Valon and the WT.So the AS are obsessively clean (maybe). Then say that in a  throw away line. Everything is pristine and doesn't look lived in. I hate that I started noticing how empty and pristine everything is. It really grates as this tower and city are 1000s of years old and you are steeped in history and culture. They do a good job showing all the ruins and stuff (like when Eg and Perrin were running with Aram ad they passed some). They put the effort into that. Make it look real. Dirty. Talk to the Disney Imagineers for that kind of thing. Or watch how Lucas (who invented that look in sci fi) did it. Because thats the thing that bothers me most (small I know. but there it is.)
"Good and ill. 
We're like the wind, 
we blows both ways."
- Mad Sweeney, American Gods

Messages In This Thread
WoT on Prime episode 5 SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-03-2021, 11:21 AM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 5 SPOILERS - by Nox - 12-03-2021, 12:17 PM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 5 SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-03-2021, 02:18 PM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 5 SPOILERS - by Nox - 12-03-2021, 02:26 PM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 5 SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-03-2021, 02:56 PM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 5 SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-03-2021, 05:19 PM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 5 SPOILERS - by Mikhail - 12-03-2021, 06:56 PM