This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

WoT on Prime episode 6 SPOILERS
I've had a hard time figuring out how I feel about this. And part of it is that we don't see the whole thing in context of the whole. I love the characterization, period. They've done a wonderful job fleshing people out. That open was heartbreaking. And the oath....I saw it as a marriage vow as well. Their relationship was fantastic and really humanized people.

Thal mentioned that this season was Moiraine's quest. That came to me during the middle of the episode as I realized that we weren't going to see any real further characterization of the E5. Rand continues to have a bit of personality and back bone ("you could just say thank you"- loved that.) And Asc is right. A lot of the 1st book is Rand reacting. Not that that is a good thing. We've traded, though, some of the wonder and fear of the newly opening world and threat for Moiraine and the AS story. I think I miss getting to see things from their perspective.

They are kids, really, thrust out into the world with the fate of all put on their shoulders and we see very little of them grappling with what that means. And as I type this, I find that I can articulate this feeling better. That was RJ's impetus to write the whole damn series. What if someone tapped you on the shoulder and said you had to save everyone. He thought the way Frodo and others responded so meekly wasn't very realistic. Instead, he wanted to deal with the story of someone who struggles with that role.

and I miss seeing them deal with this fear and terror. Moiraine's story matters and is beautifully done. Truly, it's the characterization that keeps me hooked. But knowing what we could be seeing- should be because it was such an integral part of the story- things like Rand's fear about Tam's ravings, Perrin's discomfort with having killed a man and suddenly being able to talk to wolves. Nynaeve's unreasonable anger at M for disrupting their lives, Egwene's hunger for more than the simple villager's life. We see very little of any of these internal reactions (though Egwene is portrayed best.)

I keep thinking, this is just the 1st season. We have time. Rand spends 2 more books fighting his destiny. Same with Perrin. And Nynaeve. (notice not a whole lot of mat, here for obvious reasons. He was a lump until he was healed.)

But SOOOOO much stuff still has to happen. So much story. And the pacing and story IS suffering from having to do so much in so little time- esp when we CANT see stuff from the books because we need to service a series and series themes and perspectives (which I don't begrudge.)

Those other early shows (except for GOT) had the advantage that they weren't based off of preexisting and well known material. They could start out with a length and tell a suitable story within that alloted time. This isn't like that. Mandalorian could affort to breath and no one would complain about wasting time and not getting on with it. Because we had no idea where it was going. WOT can't do that.

There are other changes and things I can talk about. But some will simply have to wait (how waygate's work- otherwise, their entire purpose for existing has been completely changed. And then what the hell do you need an ogier for? There was a reason Loial had a connection to them. How will Fain follow?)

And what happened with Mat? Manufactured tension is supremely lame. Ending with him not going and then Moiraine reopening so he can go is a stupid way to create and resolve a cliffhanger. but now having mat not show (or be there at the eye given what is supposed to go down IN STORY) just added a new plot wrinkle that will take time to resolve....

And we dont have that much time, damnit!!!

I am unsure and need to watch again. But that last REALLY bothers me.

I am still digesting it all.
"Good and ill. 
We're like the wind, 
we blows both ways."
- Mad Sweeney, American Gods

Messages In This Thread
WoT on Prime episode 6 SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-10-2021, 11:34 AM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 6 SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-10-2021, 01:06 PM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 6 SPOILERS - by Mikhail - 12-10-2021, 03:08 PM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 6 SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-10-2021, 03:28 PM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 6 SPOILERS - by Mikhail - 12-10-2021, 05:01 PM
RE: WoT on Prime episode 6 SPOILERS - by Thalia - 12-10-2021, 05:45 PM