This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

The Westwing (closed)
(OCC )would you ppls post a link here so i dont miss ur fun, lol
Jaxen continued at: Triumphant return
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +
these events occur concurrently with: http://s11.zetaboards.com/TheFirstAge/topic/30002818/1
and after:
http://w11.zetaboards.com/TheFirstAge/to...617/1/#new

Manix had nothing to do but wait. He had returned from the embarrassing time at the pub and decided to catch up on the details of the "announcement". He knew it in general but not the details. Chief had taken over one of the younger marines and browbeat em into helping him.

"Kid" which everyone called em had collect transcripts and newspaper articles about the Asc's Announcement.

Manix read the transcript, the last few lines tickled his mind. He read it again. "register" that one word worried him. History had showed that registering had always been a pre-cursor to genocide. The Jews in WW2, Yeomen, Iraq, gun registration, which led to direct conflict in the USA, the UN's final solution to Somalia and now this. Manix would not register and it was high time he found out if any of his or his family's crew was like him.

The Asc hung em out to dry. Told the world how to find us, how to hunt us, damn that man. Manix no doubted his claim of being the most powerful, if he was the oldest he had more time. Manix was better than average in power, he felt. He made a mental note to avoid CCD authority.

Manix hated politics, he hated the shadow games and lies. Manix was very charismatic and could have easily ran for office back home, but was just to damn honest for the job.

Try as he might Manix could not come up with any plausible answers to why the Asc would make such an announcements, one that fried his own kind. He had just avoided the world stage for to long, focused on the family business and finding out about what happened to his sister, now he knew. It wasn't enough, he would continue his own research into the power. Strength wasn't everything and Manix by nature of his life knew tactics.
Hours had past and Manix remained where he had been all night, unable to sleep knowing what was to happen this day. He was thinking of all he knew of his power: Amazing how this one little power can be the cause of so much trouble.

One power, world corruption and thanks to that idiot Asc, one target on many backs.
He had spent the night not only cataloging his knowledge of this one power, but trying to figure out how strong he really was. Next to Jax he was very strong, but what about the Asc. Manix had developed his strength on the sea's of the world. Controlling winds that required exact detailed manipulation from great distance. Also battles at close range, and control of hurricanes that slipped up on em. He could heal, he could twist his own looks, he could wield all five elements tho air and water was where his true strength lay.

Manix concluded he may not be as strong as the Asc, but he was damn strong. Until proven different, he would keep that belief. He knew no way to build strength, he just had it and it grew til he was where he was today: Where had I heard that before?
Shrugging it off, he settled back down to wait.

His thoughts drifted to Aria, one he had first rescued and sponsored and had not heard from: Was she alive?
that thought led to Carem and he smiled, he owed her a debt. His father never liked being in debt to someone, but even he might make an exception for Carmen.

Manix waited

Manix felt the enormous amount of power fill his mind, his heart and soul. Reacting without thought he clinched that same source in a death grip, he no longer fought with it, he beat into submission. He drank the power til he was filled with a heat he had never done before, he wanted more but felt the edges of his being begin to burn. He held tight but stopped pulling.

The distant power was stronger than Manix, Stronger, better controlled but Manix felt he was close in only the rawness. Manix had his answer about the Asc, the only one who could do this lvl of power. He want to be there, his thoughts burned his soul, he wanted to face the Asc and make him answer why he betrayed his own kind.

HE wanted there now, something bent, space? Manix wanted to rip his way thru......something, to be next to that source. Manix pushed away his feelings, sinking into the fire. He realized he almost lost control and tightened his death grip on the throat of the source.

He slowly drained the power back into the deep well of the source. The temptation to lash out was too great. He felt he was fighting a dozen Marlin's on a single line. Slowly the power drained, Manix no longer burned as the last of the power finally drained back into the source he slumped to the chair exhausted.

Panting, it hit him: If I could feel him, what did he just feel, or anyone else like us, ye damn fool.
To tired to move and not ready to touch the source again he simply called out for Chief, when he arrived: Alert the guards to keep an eye out for stranger watching the Brownstone. No one, and mean no one enters this house without my leave. That means our new guest too.
taking a deep breath: Contact home, ask Father to send "The Rage".
Chief paled, the family defense ship "The Rage" was meant for more than cargo, she was damn near a battle ship. The crew highly trained in warfare not swabbing decks and hauling cargo or fishing.

Snapping too and with a "aye aye, sir" Chief went off to make arrangements.
Edited by Manix, Sep 2 2016, 06:13 PM.
While all the important parts of Manix's home lie underground, the attachment to the street lvl Brownstone helped keep his true prospects a secret. Opening a secret door leading to his facility in the undercity he walked down to his study, where ancient tombs, manuscripts and scrimshaw lie scattered about, no one was allowed in here, not even to clean, he just sat down in his chair.

He didn't come here to study, he came here to hide and think. He had too many people that he was a Patron too and it was trying. A communique from his father was flashing, good and bad.

"Dear Son, all goes well back here on the island. "The Rage" has been dispatched to your local, but it may be a few week. With her is Captain SynJyn Quick. If ye be calling for a defense ship than who better to protect you than the leader of the Viking's. Relax about the home front ill send work if "The Rage" is needed. That being said, the last prize you took before Moscow is almost done with retrofit and will soon be in the water.
We are thinking of calling her the "The Wench" because she will be another defense ship like "The Rage". Your mother sends her love and hopes ye can visit soon, Temple is lonely without ye being here. I be wishing for an update when ye be getting a chance, I know it must be done in secret but I too wonder about how Clair (Manix's sister) came to pass from this world. Fair wind's and the speed of Manannan Mac Lir be with you.

Manix's eyes were moist, he didn't realize how much he missed his family and island home. He did need to get word to them, but how to tell them that Clair died as a result of this power, the same power that Manix wielded. Would they recent him for it? He decided on a live feed, he no be telling any secrets, just ending a 20 year mystery.

Quickly punching a few keys he waited. His mother's image popped on the screen. She screamed with joy MANIX Lir, my dear lost son!
. Dear Mother, so wonderful to see you, I miss and love you very much. Is Father home, the news I have be for ye both.
His mother nodded and briefly disappeared, soon to return with Larson Lir' in tow, Manix's Father and patriarch of the Lir' family. Hello father, I know what happened to Clair.
Taking a deep breath: Clair died from her body trying to assimilate this new power that is out there, the one the Asc demonstrated, the one that I survived and now can wield.
Manix took another deep breath, he rattled it all off without stopping to breath, afraid he couldn't say the final part. He was met with silence and the tears of his mother. His father face was stone. Finally his father spoke "How did ye survive and Clair did not?"
Fear gripped Manix. "Only 25% survive this affliction without guidance, I was simply lucky Father."

His father held his mother tight, 5 agonizing minutes passed. Manix, son, tis not ur fault. We be happy ye did survive. How do you handle this....power, will it harm you.
Manix carefully thought out his reply: This power will not kill me unless i lose control, as far as handling it, it seems that I be one of the most powerful ones still living. On the telie ye may here us called Godlings, no be believing it, I feel this is something old come around again and am currently researching such.
he let that sink in. I be needing to stay in Moscow but will arrange a visit soon.
His Father took a moment to think. "Son take the time ye be needing. Every pence of family resources is at ye disposal. Learn and find out what happened to ye and if there is anything unknown that may harm ye. Please make a visit home soon, I sent ye my schooner, she be the fastest in the fleet."
"Thank ye Father, but please i do not want to drain the family to much, ye being telling me if it becomes a burden."
A wicked grin crossed his fathers face. "Ye no be worrying about being a burden, Ill tell ye more when ya visit son."
After a tearful goodbye, Manix flipped off the communicator.

He wondered about that grin and lack of concern for the family wealth. Larson Lir' was no scrooge but didn't fling money around like it was candy. He has discovered a new source of income, a lucrative one I bet.
Now relaxed he eased back into his chair relieved that dreaded ordeal was over.

Edited by Manix, Sep 21 2016, 08:45 PM.
As manix sat and tried to relax his mind kept drifting to what was happening with Jax. He began his meditation exercises and drifted into a new state of mind. he saw the glow out of the corner of his mind but did not reach for it, he drifted deeper into his own thoughts: the women give chills to the men? Burning fever at the child's change, village destruction, young killed as witches, older worshiped, older dies suddenly, no trace, The story tumbled on
.. this memory jolted him back to the now.

Manix began looking thru his collection of scrimshaw that his father had sent to him. this collection dated back to findings of the earliest Lir family fisherman. his great Grandfather has told em, when he was young, that some were eons old and told the stories no one remembered. It was because of him manix learned to decipher the glyphs on ancient scrimshaw. he found the piece he had briefly studied, but at the time made no sense. "there she be"

Studying the piece again, this time with knowledge and a goal he wrote down the cyphers as he decoded the drawings and sailor glyph. "Men felt the chill of the female dammed on their skin"
. he thought back to the times he felt "goosebumps" around some woman, but only sometimes. the connection then was easy. "Aye, a female wielder of the power, if she holds the power is what causes the goosebumps"
he thought. An easy theory to test.

The rest of the information he decoded only proved his theories were on track. Translating it into a easy form to read: The power (the damned) would manifest itself during puberty, and with a violent sickness.
This was already known as was some of the rest. Village destruction? He had heard that men had a more violent form of the change, that is they lost the battle could have leveled villages. manix thought about his own experience. He was in the midst of a hurricane, no one could have told if he added to the violence of the storm, still another fact to verify his theory. Even today, in the more remote parts of the world women would be burned or hung if they showed any power, he thought back to the Salem witch trial that happened in the USA all the centuries ago.

The part of "older Worshiped"
sent a tingle down his spine, his thought went straight to the betrayer as manix thought of the Asc. There are those that will always take advantage of the gullible. "Older dies suddenly, no trace,"
this one would take more thought. manix light a cigar and pondered the riddle. His thought wandered back to the reaction to feeling the Asc's demonstration. He felt the edges of his being burning, if he had kept going would he have burned himself alive, burnt up by the power? this needed more confirmation, but he jotted it down, the disappearing part could mean the sudden death or did those with the power just get sick of the world and go off to seclusion? Again more research needed. His own stockpile would do, until Jax delivered, he wondered if there was any chance that anything older than his family's collection existed, I mean who cared about schrimshaw other than artwork.

So entranced with his leads and discoveries he picked thru other pieces.
Edited by Manix, Sep 5 2016, 02:01 PM.
After Hours of study and writing notes, some proven fact, some theory, Manix needed a break. He needed to deal with an upcoming situation. "The Rage" was on her way with Maj Gen SynJyn Quick and ship full of the elite "Viking's" they would need housing and a training facility. Manix had bought this Brownstone for 2 reasons. It connected to the undercity and it was in an older worn down part of the city. His home now stood out like a turd in a punch bowl, but the neighboring houses ought to be able to be acquired cheaply.

He had told all staff and crew that the implants were now going to be the primary form of communication, unless strangers were present. He sent his signal to Chief. At his arrival, Manix got straight to the point. "Chief we need to acquire the property directly on each side of us, and I also want the property next to that.
" Chief didn't ask nor needed a reason, his captain gave an order that is all that mattered. "Also the carpenters and shipwrights will be needed, the best of the run down homes will be renovated for quarter's, the "Vikings" are coming."
Chief couldn't help but shudder, the Viking's were dangerous and not the normal Ship's marine. Even tho manix himself was a viking he was also his Captain and he was comfortable with that. "The rest will be leveled and left be until SynJyn arrives. he will want to set up a training facility, land base combat may come to pass, and the Viking's are trained for on sea combat. Most skills are transferable, but if I know SynJyn, that won't be good enough.
. "On second thought put the quarters as far from the main house as possible, even if it need scrapped and rebuilt, a few unground baunkers will prolly be needed. This can be outsourced locally since nothing will be connected to the undercity yet."

Chief was relieved that the Viking's would be further from the house. Manix may be a Viking himself but he was the Captain, it made a difference. Chief would make the purchases, but leave all construction to the shipwrights, they could handle the sub-contractors. "That be all, sir"
Chief asked. Manix simply waved he was already deep in thought.

Manix drew out another sheet of paper and began sketching out rough plans for a close quarters battle (CQB) training area. He needed a large quantity of training weapons and supplies, Manix knew not how to obtain those, he continued to draw up his rough draft.

Edited by Manix, Sep 5 2016, 07:59 PM.
Manix was taking a break from the new building and training ground lay out. He was tired , impatient and grumpy. He was feeling sick. His eyes burrowed into a frown, he was feeling sick and it was quickly getting worse. Now conscientious of the feeling he could trace its source, it led toward the Kremlin. A amazing amount of power was being , not used, but drawn, more than one source.

Cramps hit Manix hard dropping him to his knees. The contents of his last meal spewed from his mouth. His mind burned: Dear God what is happening there?
, the thought. He felt a darkness envelope him and was thankful he was not at the source or its target. The pain ease a bit and he started to rise.

Again with greater force the pain and burning swept over him, knocking him down once again, to the floor. He could do nothing but lay in a pool of his own vomit. The power was not even within his grasp, tho a very very faint whisper came to him "grab it". He had no desire and the whisper had no power but writhing on the floor he remained.

An eternity it lasted, then it was gone. Manix was slow to rise. Shaking from the experience. He crossed over to his bathroom to wash up, he felt a mess and looked it. Running a shower he let the cool water run over his body. Feeling more like himself, he was able to ponder: "That was not the same as the first great surge, that was some type of attack. Not against me but had to be against a strong power user, The Asc, only one it could be."
He was drying off and digging for fresh clothes vaguely thinking of turning on the news. He was to tired, laying down on a couch back in his study he feel right asleep.
Jaxen practically skipped down the street after escaping Baccarat in one piece. He thought about sending Oriena a message, for one thing her clothes were still back in Jaxen's apartment. But if she wanted them back, she could ask to come get them. Jaxen would definitely not say no to that.

Himself he was already sick of wearing the Fake White's clothing, including the plain black suit and stuffy button up shirt. On the way he discarded the tie in a trash can, rolled the cuffs on the sleeves, and mussed up his hair back to its usual messy style. But he wouldn't be himself again until he had a shower. It felt like Fake White lingered on him like bad cologne.

He hopped the steps two at a time, whistling to himself when he knocked on the door.
"So?" said Loki impatiently.  "This isn't the first time the world has come to an end, and it won't be the last either."
Jaxen +
Loki +
+ Jole +