This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Last chance
An annoying feeling bubbled up.

He was desperate. Stuck. What was worse, the more he struggled, the quicker the sand swallowed him.

Asha pressed against him, and he looked over at her silently wishing she would make Soren agree with a touch of her hand on his. It wouldn't happen, though, and he felt suddenly guilty for wanting to use her like that, like he was a taint soiling her purity.

He focused on Soren. The tall, blonde north man that was everything Elias hated in others. His reluctance to sail to his death wasn't exactly cementing a bond of friendship between them either.

"I'll pay you. I need your talent. You need my knowledge."
He pat the pocket wherein laid his uncle's wallet. Despite showing him the energy source, tracking it required the wallet. The beast moved around and searching a quadrant of an entire ocean was impossible without a map leading the way. Elias also referred to something else, but there was no showing Soren his powers in the middle of a museum.

"I have a benefactor, but he is not interested in the venture. He will pay a handsome fee. I can't promise you what my uncle sought. It's his name I am righting. What the guardian keeps I claim, but there may be other discoveries. You're a business man? Name the price for your consultation and it will be paid."
His voice was flat as a puddle, the emotion on the tongue just as shallow. If Soren declined, there was only one thing left to do.

Go alone. Wouldn't be the first time.
Was that so difficult? The kid buckled into the offer he should have presented in the first place. Sören's irritation faded, as did his brittle resistance to Elias's manner. The mild set to his expression returned; the tension across his shoulders smoothing away, as did the itch in his fingers. Negotiations were swift but not overly ruthless; the boy was correct in thinking he had an interest here, and it was not in monetary gain. Though he did find it somewhat distasteful to commence business in the busy museum foyer. The finer details would be arranged later, at a more convenient location, but the principle agreement was shaken upon. 
Elias watched Soren's departure with folded arms. The man made him want to peel the skin from his bones. Not really. Well, not entirely.

He growled in irritation. Speaking of annoying, it was time to give Damien a call. Mostly to tell him that Elias had promised a boat load of his money to retrieve this energy source. Later though. He could only handle so much stupid in a short period of time.

He sighed and turned to see if Asha had disappeared. He wouldn't blame her if she had. In fact, come to think of it, he had no idea why she hadn't ditched him at all yet. A surprising well of relief fount within his chest when he realized she lingered near after all.

"This is going to be dangerous, Asha,"
he told her like that was going to repel her. He stopped himself going too near her, though he wanted to. It was best to keep a distance.

His eyes slid from her endearing face to the sculpture looming overhead like some long, foreboding shadow of the past. "Let's get out of here,"
he said to the room in general. There were plans to arrange.
She was glad when he'd gone.

A little relief peeled off her, mixed with the reaction she absorbed from Elias. The distance he held himself away sunk her heart. She knew it would be dangerous, but the way he said it sounded too much like the way her uncle spoke in the months before he finally abandoned her. Asha folded her arms about herself, but let her senses freewheel out to those wandering the exhibits rather than dwell on her own emotions. Curiosity bounced back. Some boredom too. Easy sentiments.

She nodded to his suggestion that they leave. "I couldn't feel him, El. Not at all. Not the whole time he was here."
Elias turned to her. "You mean you couldn't sense him like he was one holding our power? I sensed no such thing."
He mused to himself. No answer would spring forth epiphany here.

"Let's go."
He led her away, dismissing the art of their surroundings, eyes only for the door. "Do you know of any other way for someone to hide from your senses? Maybe he has discovered a way to conceal himself."
If so, Elias would watch him all the closer.

He wanted to know how it was done.