This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Coming to a Resolution
She was not made to wait long. But anticipation plummeted to disappointment almost as soon as she turned towards the sound of the door and approaching footsteps. Daryen’s greeting was effusive and warm, and contained far more respect than she suspected she was due given her untimely presence on this eve in particular. Despite this being his home, he was the last person she had expected to see; not when it must pull him from the midst of the celebratory glory due Arad Doman’s successful ventures. The treaties might be signed and exchanged – among other things, she’d wager – but contracts were only a milestone; the work was not so easily done. Politics were as much a battlefield as the quick and bloody warfare he’d won the crown with in the first place. More, perhaps; especially if he intended to keep it. Either way he would be quickly missed from his own victory.

Daryen’s charm was as resplendent and blinding as she remembered, for looking upon the Asha’man king was like staring directly into the sun. But for a moment it was the shadows beyond that she searched, until she was sure Jai really was not there. Her gaze was slow to return to the orbit of his, and she was not particularly hesitant to conceal the touch of her dismay.

“I’m sure a king must grow accustomed to receiving an enthusiastic reception, and I hate to disappoint a king and a brother both, but you are not who I wanted to see.” After the moment stretched, dry as kindling, a sly smirk and narrowed eyes softened the words. She did not intend to be insulting, though nor did she think he would be inclined to take it as such. She’d been an Accepted the only time they’d met, and they had exchanged few actual words. She did not know what opinion he may have formed of the recalcitrant ward Fate had deposited into the midst of his negotiations. Light, she still didn’t know why the Brown had even done it. But it was done all the same, and the Pattern woven. Jai’s duties and home were both here. As such she did not spare Daryen from the cut of her personable irreverence. She meant the 'brother' with the same candid acknowledgement she presumed he'd meant in turn.

It did not escape her that he was in the same scarlet silk he’d worn at Trista’s presentation before the court of course, though she did not try to parse his reasons. Beyond what she assumed to be obvious anyway. She reminded herself she was not here to dip her fingers in political currents far beyond the sphere of her control. Though admittedly neither had she intended to come face to face with one of its architects, and an opportunity presented should not be discarded out of hand, if to what end now Nythadri was not certain. The weight on her shoulders was immense. But it would crush all the swifter should Daryen buckle. Light she wished she knew what Elly found at the Tower.

He stood companionably close. Nythadri watched the shadows of the veranda outside as she considered his words. While Jai had bellowed in the dirt and Imaad incited to tip the hand of his madness, Daryen had taken control of the fracas like a hero of old at the guard of a fallen brother. In the process he'd revealed a startling loss; one that had arrested Nythadri in cold empathy at the time, though it was unlikely anyone noticed. All ears and eyes had tuned, utterly bewitched to the tale. And that was exactly what Daryen did. That warmth of command, promising everyone a place in its light. But in hindsight she had wondered if even the most tragic and personal parts of his life were loaded like careful ammunition for future use. She remembered clearly the ways Jai had toiled over his trust in Daryen. Not because it was a frail thing, but the very opposite; it was not, and the sheer strength appeared to hurt him to cling onto, even as it was unbreakable. Daryen could have saved Jai the torment rather than used it for instruction. It made her wary of his capabilities.

“As I understand it, Arad Doman already does a great service this night. I trust her king knows what he is doing.” She did not doubt his ability at the Game, but neither did she know to what ends he played. She glanced back up at him and the open affability of his smile. Such humility could not have been a gift of birth, but it was as flawlessly practised as her own ability for a startling blankness when she chose. Part of her wanted reassurance she was quite sure Daryen would willingly give should she press for it, but a larger part desired the much more unavailable truth. Even should it complicate the picture further, the cold weight of facts she could at least deal with. He must realise the loyalties that brought her here, this night of all nights? Nythadri might not wield the power of Amyrlins, but what she did have she would offer in a heartbeat should he ask it of her. “I’m aware I’m not supposed to be here. In case you were wondering.”

She laughed a little, low and flippant; it was the least of the risks she embarked on at present. She’d wager he had not wondered though. When she spoke next it was bluntly.

“I do not profess to know all the pieces on the board, but light this seems a dangerous game, Daryen. Tell me you have a contingency, should your allies prove absent when you need them. Then tell me where I can find Jai.”

Messages In This Thread
Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 12-31-2022, 10:14 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-08-2023, 11:16 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-12-2023, 12:19 AM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-12-2023, 01:46 AM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Seven - 01-14-2023, 05:27 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-16-2023, 12:04 AM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Seven - 01-16-2023, 04:54 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Natalie Grey - 01-18-2023, 08:49 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Seven - 01-20-2023, 10:19 PM
RE: Coming to a Resolution - by Raffe - 02-17-2023, 02:44 PM