The 3rd Age Life of Nythadri Vanditera
Before the Tower:
Outside of House Vanditera, Nythadri was a persona stooped in mystery. Rumour claimed her the wayward eldest daughter of a dying house, reluctant to accept her status and on bad terms with her father, Mishael, whom it was said she has not spoken to since the death of her brother. Such hearsay was fuelled further by the fact she rarely made appearances at formal functions and, at eighteen, had no plans for marriage, nor an abundance of suitors lined at her door. The truth was that Nythadri was slowly going blind; a hereditary condition that could be decelerated but not cured. Such a foul omen left her with no tolerance for the intricacies of noble life – what time she had left with her eyesight she would rather not spend as a pawn of a greater game. Soft-hearted as her father was, he mostly left her to her own devices, despite the damaging rumours of her reputation. He hoped she would one day snap out of her idealistic world views – views he believed to be self-pitying – and realise that her place is was Lady Nythadri, daughter of House Vanditera and heir to the High Seat.
Born and raised in Caemlyn, family ties and the dire situation of her House were the only things keeping Nythadri rooted. She took to escaping her family estates to mingle with the commoners of Caemlyn, on the streets taking the persona of Sacha, a tavern performer. Caught and followed by her elder brother, Tashir, it was one such evening that led to his death. Nythadri knew only vaguely of the sizeable investment made by Tairen merchants into the Vanditera’s crops, though she did know the House had suffered great losses at an unfavourable yield. Merchants of the same guild enjoyed the fine wine and entertainment of the tavern Nythadri had chosen to visit, and they recognized her brother with dreadful consequences. That Tashir’s death occurred under scandalous circumstances, and that Mishael’s eldest daughter was involved, are the only things publicly known of the incident. Such is the way it will stay, although afterwards Lord Mishael seemed to have urgent plans to marry his daughter off.
She had planned to run away to join the Tuatha’an along with her lover, Farune, but with the events surrounding the murder of her brother such plans were put on hold. Whilst attending a rare social event, in which Queen Elayne was joined by the Amyrlin Seat, Nythadri was discovered to have the Spark. The very next day a Blue called Karina came to take her to the Tower. Nythadri refused, of course, until the woman offered a cure for her failing sight. Hoping Farune would understand, Nythadri finally agreed (not that she actually had much choice). Farune took the news badly, and they parted on uneasy terms.
At the Tower:
Though she fit into Tower life easily, she did not have a taste for the rules. She tended to skirt them rather than break them, or manipulate them to suit her, and was never caught in serious trouble. She accepted the Arches test the first time it was offered to her, and upon returning to her rooms found out that Farune wanted to speak with her. Getting permission to visit the city was easy enough, but the meeting did not go how she envisioned. Farune had moved on, and came only to say goodbye – properly this time. Nythadri was crushed, and managed to procure some strong liquor to drown her sorrows. Though half-way inebriated, she was stopped by an Asha’man who, though Nythadri did not know it at the time, had recently Bonded the current Mistress of Novices, Yelendrian, and he escorted her back to the Tower. Unbeknownst to either of them, Rikela Sedai of the Blue had watched the whole sorry debacle, and had put a powder in Nythadri’s water to stop the adverse effects of a hangover the next morning.
The punishment for her infraction was severe, not least because she refused to admit to wrong-doing, and she was sent to the farm for a penance lasting six months. Though she was furious at the time, in retrospect the punishment was for the best; left in the Tower, she would have quite recklessly thrown herself into the arms of the nearest willing man for no other reason than to spite the memory of her ex-lover. Instead that frustration and pain was taken out on manual labour. If nothing else, the whole sorry ordeal has strengthened Nythadri’s resolve to be at the White Tower, and while she still proves difficult to tame and mould, she at least now has the goal of reaching the shawl firmly in her mind. It is that or fail and be put from the Tower, and Nythadri will not fail.
It took a further six months for Nythadri to catch up on the Tower studies she had missed, as well as keep herself level with the other Accepted – an exceptionally fast time by anyone’s standards.
The Catalyst for Change:
Threads chronicling the rest of Nythadri’s time as an Accepted, including her first meeting with Jai Asad Kojima, with whom her soul is inextricably bound.
- Collecting on a wager
- The Hunt
- The gift & the pledge
- Loose Ends
- War Games
- Homeward Bound
- Dealing with Bankers
Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah
Roughly three months after returning from Arad Doman, and having finally pledged to the Green Ajah (to the surprise of most who knew her), Nythadri was raised to Aes Sedai. Scant weeks later, she was pulled into a conspiracy by Talin Sedai of the Yellow, and is currently missing from the Tower.
Description: Moderately tall and curvaceously built, with black hair worn long and startlingly pale blue eyes rimmed with dark lashes. Nythadri is beautiful, but in an imposing and cold way. Her humour is often cynical and dry, but she can be warm among friends, and makes a point of being genuine and unfalteringly honest with those she is closest to. Very unforgiving of betrayal, and did not speak at to her family after enrolling at the Tower.
She has always hated the Great Game, but always finds herself tangled up in it – it is an innate part of her being whether she wishes it or not. The Tower showed her it is the pettiness among nobles she dislikes most, rather than the way a silver-tongue can move people like pieces on a chess board. Nyth is a gifted speaker and (though few are aware of it) a talented musician, though she has not had much opportunity to practise the latter skill since coming to the Tower.
Nythadri has always liked to bend rules when it suits her, or break them if she thinks it necessary or to her benefit. She is very clearly an intelligent woman, but amongst her tutors it was always considered that she does not live up to her potential. She is too errant and, while not a troublemaker in the traditional sense, has always been too independent minded to smooth her path amongst the Aes Sedai.
- Father: Mishael
- Mother: Danollia
- Brother: Tashir (deceased)
- Sisters: Oshara & Emria (both younger)
- Jai Asad Kojima — An Asha’man Nythadri met while serving in the Tower’s front hall, with whom her life has tangled ever since. Their souls are tied in every Age in which they are born. Nythadri loves him deeply, and probably dangerously, though she will admit to neither. His soul is the catalyst for change in her life, often heralding purpose and new focus to her existence; strength she uses to save him in turn.
- Talin Sedai — Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah who trained alongside Nythadri as an Accepted, but was raised some months before. Known for her somewhat cruel nature, in a flippant more than intentional way. The ends justify the means. Her hair is red and worn straight and precise, often with adornments such as flowers. There is something of innocence to her appearance at first glance, but often her expression is cold. Blue eyes, pale, a smattering of freckles across her nose. Talin is tall and slender. She is fond of horses, probably moreso than her patients. Despite her rather clinical nature she is also fond of colour. Rules are important to her. She claims Nythadri to be her conscience. Notes: Horse, a large creature with hairy fetlocks that she calls Mephisto. Bonded to Kaori
- Eleanore Candevin Aramorgran — Originally from Kandor. A seasoned warrior who accompanied the Brown Razmira Sedai through the Blight and home to the Tower. Ended up bonded to Nythadri via Talin’s manipulations, but appears to have no regrets. Rejection is something of a sore point. Elly is tall with sun-tanned skin, dark eyes and dark hair worn above the shoulder. She wears a leather hadori due to claimed ancestry (despite the implications). Her features are strong and attractive, and cut by old scars that she wears proudly. She favours Kandori wide trousers and blouses, usually cut low and open. She’s an apologetic flirt, a stickler for honour, and quick to laugh (with a strange sense of humour, usually quite ribald too). Her relationship with Nythadri is in its infancy. She thinks her spoiled. Notes: horse tall chestnut with white blaze, as yet unnamed
- Lythia Sedai — Green Ajah, Nythadri’s primary mentor and the reason she choose to pledge herself Green. She is one of the few Aes Sedai Nythadri trusts implicitly.
- Maylis Sedai — Green Ajah, one of Nythadri’s mentors. From Ebou Dar and a source of information on the Seanchan. “Dark hair swept away from her face, held by carved combs in the shape of leopards. A thin white scar curved with the slope of her left cheekbone, bright against her deep olive complexion, but she wore it like a jewel. A few strands of silver grew where the old wound met her hairline.” One of her warders is called Kabryn Asoor.
- Kabryn Asoor — Warder to Maylis. Curly hair flecked with grey. Bearded with a scar that intersects his cheek. Wiry build, only slightly taller than Nythadri.
- Malaika Sedai — Brown Ajah, Seanchan and former damane. She is quietly-spoken with a reputation for softness. Long black hair worn straight and unadorned. Her clothes hint of little shape, designed to cover and not draw attention. Aside from the Ring the only jewellery she wears is a smokey quartz pendant, gifted to her by the Green, Lythia Sedai. She witnessed Andreu Kojima’s death, identified him from the dagger he gave her before he jumped in the river, and informed the family of his demise.
- Kaori — A tall man, and Talin’s Warder. The sides of his head are shaved, with a long dark braid following the slope of his skull. Presumed to be from Shienar, and still fairly young. Elly suspects him for an oathbreaker, but this is as yet unconfirmed. Though he is bonded to Talin, it is unclear how they met. Notes: his horse is a black and white piebald called Badger.
- Andreu Kojima — Jai’s brother. Unstable and prone to paranoia. He killed himself after Jai let his family believe he had betrayed them.
- Zakar Kojima — Jai’s brother. Runs the family bank. OCD. Secretly embezzling money from the Tower. Married, but having an affair with Jaslene, Jai’s childhood sweetheart.
- Araya — An Asha’man of the Black Tower and former tinker. He has a home in Tar Valon that he visits often. He has a young ward called Korene, the daughter of a deceased friend and Araya’s first love.
- Hana — Araya’s housekeeper and main carer of Korene (Araya considers them both family, and it is often assumed she is his wife). Hana is a widower. Her husband was an Asha’man called Daeyl, and Araya was the one to deliver news of his death. She and Nythadri share an unusual friendship.
Return to Natalie Northbrook-Grey