This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Awakening
Within the timeless void there was no pain. No hunters, no scavengers biting at his heels. No Ascendancy or Dominions. 

The great power swelled within Michael as a rising wave that he did not hold back. There was no need in the Garden. His Garden. 

Threads of power spun around the circular chamber that made up his own private training room that was inaccessible by all conventional means. His web consisted of all five types of power, pulsing and fading as he stretched the limits of his abilities before letting the webs fade, incomplete. The eternal struggle for the power was ever present but it had become a familiar one, even comforting. 

Sweat ran down his face and body as he stood in the center of the chamber. It had been hours since he had started sometime just before dawn. That drew a flicker of a smile. While his first students - now *Rods of Dominion* - embraced new power and prestige Michael had not been idle. He allowed the others their chance at glory, even those who hated him. It did not matter. There were things that Michael had wished to explore, free of hunters and of Brandon Nikolai breathing down his neck. Of course he knew he was not left unwatched, however it mattered little. 

Webs of power spun tight around his body, burning with all of his might like a snake coiling around its prey the intensity honed with razor precision. That precision would be much needed for what he had learned of. 

And then the power was dispelled in an instant. 

Michael took a deep breath, satisfied for now. 

He had a part to play, the one they had all come to expect of him.
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
"Sir, the Ascendancy has sent orders," one of the newest recruit said. A boy, no more than 17 with wide and eager eyes. A shame, but nature does not discriminate.

Michael nodded, attempting to smooth the boy's obvious nerves. "You have done well to bring me this, recruit. What is your name?"

The boy's eyes darted around the room and Michael took the opportunity to sit down in the cold chair behind his desk. There was no need for a desk in this day and age. Everything of importance was either on his person or in his mind. However, he found that many of the recruits, even those among the Rods of Dominion felt more comfortable with something between he and them. The necessity of purging the initial recruits of their ego personally had spread as respect or fear in the subsequent months as more were gathered up by Brandon Nikolai.

"Uh, Jeremy, Sir. Jeremy Smallwood, recruit uh...148..." the boy answered eventually.

"Well, Jeremy, I hope you apply yourself to your training well. If you are in need of any advice, go to Karim. He is the best at explaining how things work. Now, what word from our great leader?" Michael said.

"Oh.. There is a..a woman. I don't know the details. She was sent here to be trained by you, Sir."

Michael's face didn't change, but he wondered at the order. He couldn't teach a woman anything beyond the basics, and Brandon Nikolai knew that. So, what did he want from her? Simple control? That didn't seem likely. If the woman wasn't intimidated by the Ascendancy himself, Michael wouldn't do any better, nor did he care to. So, something else then.

"Very well, please bring her here, I hope she has not been waiting too long. Go now, Jeremy."
"She saw a flaring halo around his head, radiant in gold and blue. It shouted of glory and power to come"
"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
She was fetched by a child, a detail she wasn’t sure was an intended slight or simply proof that Brandon was covertly building a fucking army. Presuming the kid could channel, of course, but she couldn’t see any other reason for his having clearance to this kind of military base. Even with Ascendancy’s permission and her existing credentials at the Facility, it had taken Morven time to work through the layers of bureaucracy for admittance. She didn't speak to him as she followed, mostly because she wasn’t interested in being nice for its own sake. That and he seemed jumpy as a cat on hot coals during the short journey to an office.

The man inside received a once over. Nothing rude, just forthright. “Commander Vellas, I take it,” she said. Her Scottish roots only held a light cadence over her accent these days. She held out a hand. Frankly, she wouldn’t be surprised to have been palmed off on someone else, though if that were the case she’d have something to say about it. It was unlikely he was one of the Dominions anyway; she’d met most of them now. “Morven Kinnaird. Ye ken why I’m here?”
Michael rose from his desk, his interest piqued even as he knew it was just another task that Nikolai wanted to saddle him with. The woman seemed confident in the face of the dangers that lay in the Garden. Accidents happened every now and then although casualties were low as they had continued to employ his strict methods in teaching new recruits. 

He took the offered hand in his own with a nod. "I am Michael Vellas, yes. Commander? I am not sure if any of that applies here," he finished with a shrug.

It took a moment to register Morven's accent. "A pleasure, Morven. I have an idea of why you are here.

He tilted his head towards Jeremy and the recruit left like a scurrying mouse. He then continued. "You seem to have caught the attention of Nikolai Brandon, so he has tasked me to train you. Although if you have encountered any of our kind, you know that it is impossible. He does as well. However, I can assist, and perhaps we both can learn more.

He paused, silently gauging the woman. He knew what he was supposed to do, but how much did she care to do it? "Tell me, Morven, how is it that the Ascendancy himself told me of you? Did you seek him out, or was it a...forced recruitment? Usually it would be a task for Karim or the others. Do you have any particular talents with the Power?"
“Well the bairns certainly step lightly.” She watched as at the incline of Michael’s head the kid was granted permission to flee, however much he shrugged off the title of commander. At that age Morven had been a defiant bundle of independent trouble, refusing authority she did not first have cause to respect. Though given recent circumstance, perhaps not much had changed in that regard.

She appreciated the civility; realised she had been expecting something more confrontational, or at least dubious. Either Michael truly did respect the man he served, enough to take him at his word, or he was just genuinely curious at what landed on his doorstep. She didn’t dwell on which, since the outcome was the same.

“Aye, fish and birds. But I fly well enough already,” she assured. That had been the way Sören had first phrased it – a good many years ago now. What she knew came from instinct and necessity, but she’d been a similar age to the boy Michael dismissed when she first discovered what made her different. A damn sight longer than most of the men here, she’d warrant. On her registration she’d cited her sister’s healing as the moment she sparked, but it was not strictly true. The flows which stitched a man together could also be used to tear him apart. As the Atharim who gave her sister that wound had understood firsthand that same night.

“Custody agents made an offer I couldnae refuse. And you can ask Taicheschski about my talents.” She gave a quick grin, being as he’d already dispensed with the formality. The Dominion had deserved the punch, and since she’d used it to demonstrate said gifts, she felt no guilt. Guy was a royal dick, and Morven wouldn’t brook the nonsense.

“I was an ER doctor before. Had a penchant for miracles, if ye ken my meaning. I work in the Facility now, and the Ascendancy attended one of my healings. So I used the opportunity to tell him he was remiss to have no women around him – especially after what Rikovi told me about the damn creature that used a woman to attack him. None of you would have seen the flows like I can. None of you would have even known she had the potential to go from risk to threat.” By now her arms had folded, though it was the ferocity of allegiance she offered and not an indication of criticism.
After devoting about two minutes of research to the idea, Jay decided taking Adrian anywhere near civilization to practice was a terrible idea. The Facility was off-limits, though Jay still wasn’t sure what special sauce ran through the veins of those who found themselves an involuntary guest versus someone like Adrian whom the Ascendancy personally assigned a Dominion. He assumed it was something political, and while Natalie was most likely person with answers, he kept his pie hole shut for now. No point dragging her into all this mess, at least, not unless it was really important. And for now, this was more of an annoying problem than something to bother her with it.

Which was what led Jay to the Garden. He was no stranger to top secret protocols, and he knew better than most that he couldn’t bring a civilian on site without a hell of a signature to approve it. Exactly why he dressed himself up in full uniform, Dominion pin and everything, combed his hair, and presented himself all proper. One thing Jay knew was how to kiss ass when it was necessary.

Today, that meant puckering up two big old juicy smooches on Micheal Vellas’ plump cheeks.

As soon as he approached the base, he was admitted without even checking his credentials. Jay’s gaze narrowed at the cameras he knew must be tracking and identifying him, but strolled right onto grounds like he owned the place. And not like it was his first time actually here.

He was easily directed to the Commander’s location, only to catch witness of a squirrelly kid practically bolting the other direction.

After confirming with a staffer that Vellas was actually on the other side of the door, Jay knocked.
Only darkness shows you the light.

(03-08-2024, 08:18 PM)Morven Wrote: “Well the bairns certainly step lightly.” She watched as at the incline of Michael’s head the kid was granted permission to flee, however much he shrugged off the title of commander. At that age Morven had been a defiant bundle of independent trouble, refusing authority she did not first have cause to respect. Though given recent circumstance, perhaps not much had changed in that regard.

She appreciated the civility; realised she had been expecting something more confrontational, or at least dubious. Either Michael truly did respect the man he served, enough to take him at his word, or he was just genuinely curious at what landed on his doorstep. She didn’t dwell on which, since the outcome was the same.

“Aye, fish and birds. But I fly well enough already,” she assured. That had been the way Sören had first phrased it – a good many years ago now. What she knew came from instinct and necessity, but she’d been a similar age to the boy Michael dismissed when she first discovered what made her different. A damn sight longer than most of the men here, she’d warrant. On her registration she’d cited her sister’s healing as the moment she sparked, but it was not strictly true. The flows which stitched a man together could also be used to tear him apart. As the Atharim who gave her sister that wound had understood firsthand that same night.

“Custody agents made an offer I couldnae refuse. And you can ask Taicheschski about my talents.” She gave a quick grin, being as he’d already dispensed with the formality. The Dominion had deserved the punch, and since she’d used it to demonstrate said gifts, she felt no guilt. Guy was a royal dick, and Morven wouldn’t brook the nonsense.

“I was an ER doctor before. Had a penchant for miracles, if ye ken my meaning. I work in the Facility now, and the Ascendancy attended one of my healings. So I used the opportunity to tell him he was remiss to have no women around him – especially after what Rikovi told me about the damn creature that used a woman to attack him. None of you would have seen the flows like I can. None of you would have even known she had the potential to go from risk to threat.” By now her arms had folded, though it was the ferocity of allegiance she offered and not an indication of criticism.

Michael had no idea what a bairn was, but soon was used to the cadence of her voice. He took hold of the Power and took control of half of what he could, just enough for his experiment but not enough to alarm the students. He had from Karim that holding his full power caused...tension among the students if he did so outside his usual hours. He was sure the child would not hold his tongue and did not want the whole damned place thinking there was some kind of confrontation. 

Her stories made him smile. "Ah, Taicheschski... I hope you left some bruises. Whatever recklessness got him injured was likely self inflicted. An unfortunate trait among our kind. Some seem to believe they are indeed gods. And you know Rykovi as well? Something to talk about another time.

He turned his attention back to the matter at hand. "Healing," his next smile was bitter. "Miracles. I envy you it. My *miracle* was boiling a man's blood. In all fairness, he was an agent of the Atharim who had come to kill a godling. It did not end well for him, and I was chased all the way to Moscow leaving a trail of dead assassins.

Michael shook his head. He had grown since his time at the Garden. No more tempestuous rage that had consumed him for so long. "So, you can handle yourself, but Nikolai sent you here instead of keeping you by his side. As for why he sent you to me, the Rods of Dominion as they are so declared are my students. They answer to two people, Nikolai Brandon and me. This is my domain. While neither of us can teach each other, we can find out if there are ways to work together, and how to combat each other's powers. From what I know, the fundamentals are the same.

"But more than that, I expect Nikolai wants you to help train women who come here. No woman with any experience has stepped forward. Until now."
(03-09-2024, 12:05 AM)Jay Carpenter Wrote: After devoting about two minutes of research to the idea, Jay decided taking Adrian anywhere near civilization to practice was a terrible idea. The Facility was off-limits, though Jay still wasn’t sure what special sauce ran through the veins of those who found themselves an involuntary guest versus someone like Adrian whom the Ascendancy personally assigned a Dominion. He assumed it was something political, and while Natalie was most likely person with answers, he kept his pie hole shut for now. No point dragging her into all this mess, at least, not unless it was really important. And for now, this was more of an annoying problem than something to bother her with it.

Which was what led Jay to the Garden. He was no stranger to top secret protocols, and he knew better than most that he couldn’t bring a civilian on site without a hell of a signature to approve it. Exactly why he dressed himself up in full uniform, Dominion pin and everything, combed his hair, and presented himself all proper. One thing Jay knew was how to kiss ass when it was necessary.

Today, that meant puckering up two big old juicy smooches on Micheal Vellas’ plump cheeks.

As soon as he approached the base, he was admitted without even checking his credentials. Jay’s gaze narrowed at the cameras he knew must be tracking and identifying him, but strolled right onto grounds like he owned the place. And not like it was his first time actually here.

He was easily directed to the Commander’s location, only to catch witness of a squirrelly kid practically bolting the other direction.

After confirming with a staffer that Vellas was actually on the other side of the door, Jay knocked.

Continued here
She didn’t comment any further on Taicheschski, mostly because she had nothing nice to say, and she considered the matter closed. Morven wouldn’t hesitate to bruise an ego, but she wasn’t cruel – even to arseholes. The healing had been the point, and there had been no trace left of the broken nose. Apparently the fact she’d done the breaking had not filtered out beyond those who witnessed the altercation. She filed Michael’s opinion about the other man away; realised that whispers of discontent in the ranks might actually have substance to them. Not surprising in itself, but worth keeping in mind.

Her arms remained folded for the duration of his confession. She did not flinch at the depiction of such violence, nor seemed to empathise with the bitter edge of what might have been his regret.

“A man comes to kill you, you kill him first,” she said bluntly. There should be no guilt in that, no matter the methods used. She didn’t pry the details, but there was solidarity in the way she said it.

Her expression twitched at the inference the Ascendancy had sent her away, but she kept a careful hold on her tongue. Frustration prickled under her skin nonetheless. “I’m no teacher. If that’s what he wants, he can have DuBois search the register for a better candidate.” Not that she’d let a girl die if she could help, but the idea of being tethered to a place in the Garden appealed about as much as her position at the Facility. “Is stepping up how you ended up here?”
He nodded at the first reply. She seemed about as soft as a titanium beam, although who could expect less from one of their kind? Similar to Dr. Watson, healers seemed unfazed by death and destruction. Certainly, Michael had accepted it but he would never embrace it. 

There was little he could tell beyond the fact that she was either a great actor or as pragmatic as Nikolai Brandon himself. He almost smiled at her objection to being a teacher but she didn't seem to be one for levity. Indeed, six months ago he was colder than a glacier. "I ended up here because Nikolai Brandon and I came to an understanding. I fought al'Hasan's mad crusade in the Middle East and my abilities were captured on camera. I was not a teacher either, nor do I think I am now. Others train the students better than I. However, I learned that there are monsters among our kind. The Ascendancy was going to gather those with our Power with or without me. I decided it was better I guided the process, not to make weapons, but to save people from murders or their own ability. It is hard to turn down Nikolai Brandon, so I did so on my terms. I have no illusions as to my influence, but I made the best of it." 

He shrugged at the suggestion that they should find another. "I will not make you become a teacher, the Ascendancy has not demanded I keep you here. However, he did send you here for a reason. Stay a while. I can have the women who the Custody knows can use the Power come here and if you wish, at least teach them not to kill themselves. I also believe that we can learn from each other. I would like to see if there are any ways men and women can work together or combat each other." 

He lowered his voice. "For all the pretty names and secret facilities, our kind know little about our own powers, and it is a dangerous world. If not teach, would you like to at least learn more?" 

(welcome back! I hope all is going alright)