This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Jacinda Cross

Soft reds and oranges peeked over the horizon and Jacinda drifted back to consciousness. Quiet. It was so quiet, she was aware of the sound of her own heartbeat, the rhythm of her own breathing.

She always loved mornings like this. The sleeping bag was warm and snuggly and the back seat of the SUV was surprisingly comfortable. She lay there, absorbing it all.

The windows were fogged up of course, the moisture from her and Jill's breathing having condensed on the cold glass. Her legs were a bit sore from all the walking yesterday. Not a bad sore. A good one, the pain delicious as she stretched and flex her legs, her calves and glutes and abs and abductors. Her legs felt long and taut and she felt like a deer, bundles of energy tingling, wanting to run and run and run, hair blowing in the wind.

It had been a good sleep. No alarms had gone off. Nothing out of place. They were safe. She sat up, feeling the cold slither down her neck not unpleasantly as she looked over the bench to check on Jill. Her face was quiet and peaceful, lips slightly parted.

Jacinda watched her for a bit, curious, thinking about what Jill had told her last night. Trapped. The woman just wanted to be happy. But somehow it seemed it was everyone's business how she did that.

What kind of marriage was that? Obviously it was a cover. Did that mean that they both had partners they were really interested in? These towns were so small. Everyone knew everyone. Did they have to go out of town to meet someone? Someone local? Or someone they tried to pick up. Long term? One night stands?

Always sneaking. Always afraid. How did people even meet? Was there a code? Signals?

How could there be a future there?

Future...She thought about herself. No future she imagined had someone beside her. She never let anyone in. The idea of a future with anyone...it scared her. What if he was Regan? What of he wasn't? Deep down, she still remembered the way he wouldn't look at her near the end. Didn't want to touch her. Had already begun to move on. No. Not begun. Had already moved on.

That stayed with her. Regan had rejected her after being her god and father and lover and friend. Her world and universe in every way possible. He had thrown her away. She wasn't good enough. When she thought about it, even now, a decade later- really thought about it...it almost always made her wanna die.

Jacinda would never let any man do that to her again. So, yes, occasionally she met a guy she was attracted to. And she knew she was attractive. Knew how to get their attention. But it was all on her terms. It was about her needs. Physical and emotional. A simple itch to scratch. Her decision.

No man would ever reject her again. No.

"Do you make it a habit to watch people sleep?" Jill said quietly with a smile. Jacinda laughed, startled and embarressed, realizing she had been staring but not really seeing anything. Certainly not that Jill woke up.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly. "I was gonna wake you but got lost in thought."

Jill's smile widened a bit, eyes playful, as she sat up and stretched. "Yeah sorry, it's my curse. Always making people think. Must be my eyes." She batted her eyes as a joke.

Jacinda barked a laugh. "I'm sure." And that was that. Well almost. Jacinda did like the way her eyes twinkled. She hadn't noticed that before.

They went through the usual morning routines. Fire was stoked, blue enamel coffee pot bubbling, life giving aroma filling the air. No time for a proper camping breakfast, so energy bars had to do. It only took 30 minutes for it all before they were packing everything up and dousing the fire.

The SUV was on the rock island. They'd found the "wolf" print yesterday. It was time to track the skinwalker.

Jill led them to the spot she had found earlier. The prints of a wolf far bigger than normal. Jacinda tried to guess the weight based on the depth of each paw in comparison to her own shoe print. And then multiplied by 4. It was a rough way to estimate, but it worked. The thing easily was nearing 300.

It was a beast. Maybe not Oni sized. But enough that a shard of fear spiked her stomach. That jeep glass and metal didn't feel so safe. She looked at Jill, masking it with a grin. "Let's see where this asshole takes us."

Back and forth they trekked, following the trail, then going back for the 4 runner. As they did, Jacinda began to get a feel of it. It was intelligent, that was for sure. The trail it took went by places of shade. Caves trickling with water. Rock walks.

And of course other rock outcroppings. The wolf had soon disappeared. Bear tracks showed. A chance look spied the small fissure. The half eaten carcass of a bear stuffed inside.

Bears were bigger and heavier. It wouldn't stand out as easily, she knew. She looked at Jill. Fuck. In the distance Navajo mountain stood, dark and black and looming against the sky. Maybe a half day's drive. Of course, their way doubled that.

Jacinda found her sleep in the SUV less restfull. A bear sized creature could break the windows and rip into them before they knew it. Sleep came less and less frequently. She and Jill talked, but the underlying tension always cut anything they said. And her weapons stayed close.

She checked her guns and rifles and boot knives more often. She found herself wishing for more firepower. Something with more umph!

On the last day they were near a sheep camp. The windmill turned idly in the breeze, ungreased axel making a squeeking sound as it rotated about

The wind seemed to cover the silence. Jill stopped first. "Something is wrong." Jacinda looked at her, staring and swallowing, and pulled both guns. She breathed, boxing her fears away as Regan had taught her. One two three....each in in its place.

She was at peace.

She approached the sheep pen slowly, watching for any danger.

Nothing moved. No bleat or whine or baah. Nothing stirred but the wool fibers amid the the dead bodies.

The carcasses or dozens of sheep lay everywhere, torn, ripped open and fed upon. The stench of bowels and blood and putrefaction filled the air. The mud was churned red and brown.

On the other side of the pen was a pickup. Jacinda crept closer. A dead body lay in the the dirt, head snapped and chunk missing from his neck.

Jacinda swallowed and breathed. Boxes. Tiny boxes. Gradually she felt the calm. In a growing spiral she examined the scene...and her heart fell.

Far too many sheep had excaped, despite the massacre. And at least two people too. Running and fleeing, paths and prints trampling all over each other.

The skinwalker had been smart. There was no way to know where it had gone.

They both sat in the forerunner, not speaking. Jacinda was upset. She had lost her prey. This thing was out there- anywhere.

After a moment, she spoke, mostly to herself. "So...this thing is smart. And it eats anything. Can become anything. But....we have to be missing something." She breathed out with frustration. To herself, "Come on Jacinda! What did you see?"

Jill spoke up, then. She had been so quiet she had almost forgotten she was there. "People. It wants people." Jacinda looked at her, puzzled. Jill paused as of to put her words together. "You said it yourself. You can see how smart it is. So why kill anyone that will attract attention? There is a neverending supply of sheep and goats and wolves and bears and coyotes to kill and eat. Not to mention the wandering a'gla'neh'- drunk- or hitchhiker no one would even miss." Her look was sharp. "So why a sh'ma yazh when her children and grandchildren would notice her gone or dead? Why an old nall'eh who will be missed?"

Jacinda thought about it. The strategy at the sheep pen was nothing short of brilliant. This was not a creature acting out of pure instinct. It reminded her of some of the wolfkin she'd faced. Almost terrifying intelligence shining from deep within those golden eyes.

This wasn't a mindless chupe or oni. This was cunning

And it wanted a hunt. A game.

It wanted to play. And Jacinda found herself smiling. Game on, bitch.

Voice firm, she asked, "So....What's around here, Jill? Where does the road lead to?"

Jill looked ahead thinking. "Antelope canyon would follow. Lots of places for an ambush. Then Lake Powell. Lot's of small communities around there. And then Page itself with maybe 50,000 people. It'll be like searching for a needle in a haystack."

Jacinda was silent as she thought. They could go see if it went to any of those numerous communities. Or go to Page and wander around. Or just wait.

She sighed. "It wants a hunt. It wants a game. So it wants our attention. Let's go to Page. If it wants us to follow, it won't make us guess which community it is in. Wait a while and see if it tries to get our attention."

Jill nodded slowly. "I agree. And.... at least we can sleep in a real bed too." Jacinda laughed. Others might think that harsh, the pleasure of a creature comfort when hunting such a killer. But being a hunter didn't mean that you couldn't enjoy yourself. Or have a little fun.

"Tell me about it. And a shower. And a drink or three," that last with a wink.

She shifted the vehicle into drive and they headed off.

As things went, Page wasn't bad. Quiet little town, not too big. But enough stores, theaters, and places for eating. And the lake formed by Glenn Canyon Dam was gorgeous, with all the little inlets and islands and twisty winding red rock canyons.
[Image: RS13918_Alstrom-resized-stunning-sunset-...izona.avif]

It was the early spring and the tourists hadn't shown up yet, so the town was mostly quiet. Mostly. Jill said the place swelled up on weekend as folks out on the reservation came into town to do their shopping. Cities like Page, Farmington, or Flagstaff had their populations almost double, those days.

Of course the first thing they did was get a hotel room in the center of town. Jacinda laid on the her bed while Jill showered and got cleaned up. She wasn't kidding about the bed, either. At some point she nodded off. She woke to Jill sitting in her sweats on the other bed, combing out her hair, the smell of floral shampoo and steam filling the air. Jacinda eyed the cloud of fog that still seemed to come from the open door of the bathroom. "Hope you left me some hot water," she said jokingly. She could do with cold just as easily- not that she wanted to.

Jill laughed. "Nope. I got out about 30 minutes ago. I've just been letting the shower run."

Jacinda smiled as she stood and started rifling through her bag for her own stuff. Over her shoulder, she said, "Good. Glad you washed away all that mud and grime that was on you," big grin on her face as she turned around. Jill smirked at her. Jacinda looked at the door. "It probably doesn't know where we are or even that we are here, but it's probably good we keep the door locked and only open it when we are together."

Jill nodded as she headed into the washroom. Once she was in her skin she stood there, looking at herself in the foggy mirror. The outline wasn't bad. She ran a hand over the thing to clear part of it. Not a lot of wear and tear. Some scarring, which was to be expected. A far cry from the little girl she used to be. She looked at the tattoo on her arm, smiling at the memory, an old song playing in the back of her mind. Ah Julie. She was out there somewhere. Probably at college. Maybe a boyfriend. Hell, maybe a husband. She'd be in her early 20s. Maybe even a kid. It was nice to imagine for her.

Not Jacinda's life. The hunt was hers. She doubted there would every be any family she belonged to. It just didn't seem to be her lot. Things could be worse, she knew. So Julie was out there, living. That was good enough.

She jumped in the shower. The water was plenty hot. When all done and mostly dressed- she only had a tank top on over her bra and she wasn't gonna go out like that in this weather- she came out. Jill looked up from her wallet and for a moment, their eyes locked. She was puzzled. Was there a question there? "Oh....the water? Yeah, it was fine." She looked at Jill in her sweats and said, "Alright, get dressed. Let's get some food. We're not gonna hear anything locked up in here."

They left the room and walked to The Dam Bar and Grill a block over. Haha! Get it? Damn? Dam? Pretty risque for a predominantly Mormon town. At least in the government anyway, from what Jill said. One third of the population was anglo, one third native, and the rest a mix of everyone else. Lot's of religions too, if  church row was any indicator.

Still, the restaurant was laid back and relaxed and the 24 ounce mug was icy cold, beads of water dripping down the side of her Dos Eqquis Amber. Jill ordered some kind of light beer. The waiter was cute and he flirted with them a bit, which Jacinda didn't mind in the slightest. He was a bit young, but then again, it wasn't like she was ever looking for anything long term anyway. Not that she was gonna do anything. Jill was with her and they had to keep alert. Though she doubted the skinwalker was currently working as a waiter at the moment.

Steaks ordered, she held up her glass in toast before taking a good long pull. God it tasted so cold and crisp, the lime cutting sharply into the carbonation. "So, does your family come to Page for shopping?"

Jill shook her head. "No. Farmington is just as far and is bigger. So they usually can take care of more things. Flagstaff is the best though. Even if it is too far from our home."

"Yeah? Why?" She'd never been there.

Jill smiled. "Good memories, It's up in the San Francisco Peaks. A mountain town. And a college town too. NAU- Northern Arizona University. Which makes all this weird hippy country energy. That's where I was going to school." Her smile was definitely warm. It brought a feeling of joy to Jacinda to see it.

"What were you studying?"

"Anthropology. It sort of made sense, given where we live. All the ruins and stuff. The history." Her voice dropped a bit. "And what my father does. What I do, now."

Jacinda nodded. "Do you miss it?"

Jill looked whistful. "I do. But I also miss just living there in the dorms." She looked around. "It was all just so....free." She stopped, frowned for a moment, and then went on, voice quieter. "So....I told you about...me, right? Well, my mom and sister knew. I, uh...when I was 14 there was a girl at school I liked. Like really liked. And I think she liked me. So...I made her a card for Valentine's Day." Her voice was quiet. "It took all my courage, but I gave it to her." She smiled a bit. "And she liked it. She even kissed me. My first ever." Her voice fell flat. "Her parents found the card. Came to my mom- her mom did, anyway. That's how we do things. And suddenly we were in different classes and couldn't hang out anymore. And my sister started taking notice of everything I did. It was all just....stifling."

Jacinda put her drink down, a look on her face. God, how fucked up could they be? Who the hell cared?

Jill brightened a bit, though. "It took some convincing. I was 18 and hadn't ever let on that I still felt that way. I even dated a few boys at school. Grayson was one, though we both were covering for each other. So I was able to go to school in Flag. And just be myself. I was free for the first time! It was like I was a kid. I went to parties. Went with classmates to breweries, hiking, hung out in coffee-shops and bookstores. A Brazilian Wine Bar that turned into a dance hall after 9pm. Concerts. The Grand Canyon. Trips to Phoenix, Sedona. Just everything."

She smiled wickedly. "I even dated. Like really dated. It was amazing!"

And then her face fell. "What happened," Jacinda asked quietly.

Jill snorted, shaking her head. "My sister happened to be in Flag for the weekend. And I was at Beaver Street Brewery with a girl I was seeing. We were just sitting together. it's a popular place, though. Good food and beer. So Sari came in with some friends and saw me. And she just knew. And I knew. So...not long after, I got a call. Mom was sick anyway. Dying, actually. And she was too. So I needed to come home."

"What a bitch!" Jacinda said angrily.

"No. No. I mean, I thought she said something, at first. But mom was really dying. And dad needed help. And Sari had her little ones- and they were very little too. Mom never mentioned it. By the end, she even seemed...apologetic. I think one time...no. I know. In some way mom tried to say she was sorry. I guess dying makes you look at what's important and what isn't. Sari never mentioned what she saw."

Jacinda remembered the way she looked at Jill that first day she was there. She raised an eyebrow and she drank "She needs to work on her look. She's got Resting Bitch Face down cold."

Jill laughed, seeming to dispel the tension. "Yeah, she does that one well. She's still protective. But it's mostly of dad. And of mom's memory. I mean she's not stupid. It's 2031. But dad's old. And family tradition is strong. The cultural pressure anyway. She doesn't want any shame to come to us."

Jacinda only half smiled, not wanting to argue. But you have to pay the price.You make the sacrifice. Instead, she said, "I hope you get to be free again." She held her drink, looking at Jill. Funny. She had been so reserved those first few days. But now the walls were down and she showed her emotion easily, as if the distance itself had loosed the reigns.

The food came and they fell to it, talking of less serious matters. Jacinda told her of hunts and funny stories. Jill did the same, as well as cracking jokes and doing impressions of how teenagers would  flirt at the local 7-2-11 or the chapterhouse. The Navajo sense of humor was a bit more subtle to get, but once you caught on, it was definitely funny stuff.

She was pleasantly full, but not to the point of needing to unbutton her jeans and lie down. No, she had energy to burn. And an idea had formed in her mind, something Jill had mentioned. And  Distance. Freedom.

She leaned forward, conspiratorially. "Let's go have some fun." Before she could answer, the waiter returned. "Just the man I wanted to see. So where would two girls who feel like stretching their legs and dancing go?"

He smiled broadly. "Oh? Plan on breaking a few hearts tonight?"

Jacinda laughed, winking at him. "Well we can't wait here all night for you to get off work, you know. Besides, I think your mommy has to give you a ride anyway." He laughed, knowing it was all in jest.

"Hmm..." he said, as deep in thought. "So you want a place to dance...ok. The senior center usually has dancing. Definitely your speed. And you can still get to bed at 8 like normal."

Jacinda busted out laughing and even Jill joined in. "Yeah, I can't afford to break this hip," she said wriggling a bit in her chair even as she winked at Jill. Just a game.

The guy looked at her with a grin, but there was now a definite hunger there. Yeah, he could be fun. But this wasn't about her. "Well, since you're risk takers, you might try the Top Deck. Just a few streets over. Country bar mostly. They won't even check your ID."

After a bit more flirty banter, he left. Jacinda didn't doubt where he'd be after he got off. Jill looked reserved, maybe nervous. "This isn't Phoenix or Sedona, Jacinda. Or Flagstaff for that matter."

Jacinda blew it off. "No one's saying we go there and start making out." Jill's eyes widened in shock so much that Jacinda couldn't help giggling. "Plenty of girls go places to dance. That's all it is. Just give it a shot."

Jill frowned but there was also a sparkle of excitement in her eyes.

"Ok."

"Hah ha! There we go. Come on. Let's have fun. It may the last time for a while."

The building was two stories, surrounded by a medium sized parking lot. Like most dance clubs in smaller towns, the parking wasn't really...orderly. Which meant that there might be a fight from time to time. Maybe. Jill and Jacinda walked up to the double doors, only one of which was open, a bouncer standing at the inside doors. The man behind the counter looked at them only briefly before asking for their hand to stamp. Then he waved them inside. Of course. 'No cover' for ladies was pretty standard. The ratio, right?

It was dark, but not overly so, and the music- pretty regular country stuff- wasn't too loud. You could actually still talk even with the music. A set of stairs ran up the left side of the wall to a second level with guard rails wound with Christmas lights, where she could see pool tables and a bar. Under the stairs was another bar, as well as chairs and booths and tables. The dance floor was on the right, black and white tiles alternating and people swung and two stepped and cowboy cha-cha'd. Some of the men wore hats and colorful button down shirts, tight jeans with large belt buckles while others were more casually dressed in caps with jeans and t-shirts, slacks and short sleeves, and all manner of in between. Likewise, the women ranged from more traditional jeans and button downs to blouses, some dresses, and so on.

Her kind of place. She and Jill headed to the bar and Jacinda ordered a shot of tequila. Jill looked hesitant. Speaking up a bit louder because of the noise, she said "I wanna see college Jill!" Jill looked at her for a moment and then grinned.

"Shot of tequila," she said to the bartender.

Jacinda pulled her close with arm to give her a hug. "Wooo!" and then, when the drinks came, held hers up. "To college!!" Some of the guys next to them looked at her oddly- they were a bit too old for college girls- but she just laughed and then they downed them. Then an order of margaritas for both of them and they headed away from the bar.

They found a couple of seats at a round table and watched for a little bit. Jacinda was feeling a restless energy as the rhythm of the music made her tap her feet. She looked around, sizing everyone up. Most were here to either meet someone or were with someone. A few tables looked like friends out for a fun evening. The ages were surprisingly varied, from early 20s to maybe even late 50s. That said something. This place had been here a while and wasn't generally one that had a lot of trouble.

She spied a younger guy in a green ball cap looking over at them. More specifically, Jill. Jacinda quietly let Jill know. It was kinda dark, but she still swore the girl had blushed. "Haha! See? You're like the bait for me." She did a search, trying to see if any women gave off a gay vibe. She was her wing-woman, right? "See anyone your speed?"

Jill looked around but she didn't sound enthused. "I doubt there'd be many, here."

Jacinda heard her but she had already noticed a couple of girls dancing. They looked like friends just having fun, but she pointed them out anyway. Jill shook her head with a smile, rolling her eyes. "Wrong."

Jacinda was going to say something- her gaydar wasn't that off- when she noticed green cap was walking towards them. "Haha! You have a visitor," she whispered.

Jill grabbed her arm."Don't you dare leave," she said with a smile and not a little threat too. Jacinda laughed.

"It's just talking, Jill. Being friendly. Not like you have to be into him." But she didn't leave.

The boy came up and spoke to Jill only, ignoring her. Rookie mistake. "Ladies. Couldn't help noticing you over here. Uh..." he stammered. Jacinda's heart went out to him. She looked at Jill and she looked terrified. Poor thing. "...So...uh, care to dance?"

Jill squeeked, "No thank you." He looked heartbroken and Jacinda felt bad for him. It took courage to make that long walk over here. Like walking toward a gun pointed at you.

She squeezed Jill's arm, reassuringly, hoping to take the pressure off her. "I'll dance with you." The boy looked at her and smiled.

Jacinda took his hand and led him to the floor where they began to two step. Jacinda leaned into the dance so he'd take hold a little more forcefully. It was nice to be directed and then be twirled about. The lead had to be a good base, though. That was important.

She was having fun. As the entire group circled the floor she passed Jill who smiled up at her. She felt a little guilty. This was Jill's night, not hers. She wanted to dance but only if Jill got to have fun too. When the dance was over she told the boy thanks. he smiled at her and walked away, seeming a bit taller. Good on him. Maybe he'd go ask other girls now.

She sat back down in the chair, feeling good. "Sorry. Just felt sorry for him. But they're gonna keep comin', though, ya know?" Easy way to fix that, though. She snapped the covers onto their drinks- no sense inviting a roofy. They would indicate if they had been opened. She stood and looking sheepish now- trying to imitate the kid's manner- held out her hand. "Uhh....so...wanna dance with me?"

Jill smiled and took it.  Jacinda again led them out to the floor, only this time, she took the lead. It only took about a half-second to slip into it properly. Soon, it was Jill twirling around Jacinda, as they two stepped their way around the floor with the flowing rest of the dancers. They both were laughing and having fun.

And it felt nice. Jacinda had never danced with a girl. It felt...different. Soft. Not weak, but not like men. At least the men she danced with. And despite her height, she wasn't used to being the taller one.

It was oddly empowering. And she liked the way Jill looked up at her, the way her face lit up with each move. Then the cha-cha came on. She wasn't really familiar, but these dances weren't rocket science. And messing up and giggling was part of the fun.

Most people ignored them, but occasionally she caught a look directed in their direction. Oddly, it was usually a younger guy. Yeah, maybe a small town. But for all of that, they were left alone. Now if they had started kissing- or maybe it had been a slow dance with their bodies pressed together- maybe that might get attention. But this was innocent.

She did find herself curious, though. Dancing with Jill was a completely new experience. She was fascinated at the way her mouth moved when she spoke. Just the cutest little twist to her lips. She'd never noticed that before.

After a third song, they went back to their seats and sat. The drinks were fine and she enjoyed the nice warm fuzz in her head. Jill seemed to beam and it lit up the room. Then something blocked the light and another guy stood over them, white cap on backwards. No shyness, no nervousness. Just cocky. And maybe- just maybe- a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

"Either of you ladies wanna dance?" Jacinda tried to be friendly.

"No thanks. We're having a girl's night. But thanks for the offer." His eyes hardened but he didn't say anything as he stalked back to his seat alone in the corner. She leaned into Jill. "Sorry. Didn't mean to speak for you. Did you wanna dance with him?"

Jill burst out laughing as she looked over at him. "Ohh...yes please. Can you please fetch him for me?" Another laugh, and he got up and headed toward the back. Probably where the bathrooms were. Whatever.

So that's how it went for an hour or two. Most of the guys got the hint. And they got to dance. And Jacinda saw college Jill. Relaxed Jill. A free Jill.

And she liked it. She truly hoped she'd be able to live her life on her own terms one day. I mean, she'd already felt that before. But now...it just broke her heart to remember the Jill from the house. The Jill who lived hidden and shut up and unable to breath.

It was getting late. And they were here for a reason. Not that there was a lot to do until somehow the skinwalker revealed itself. They headed outside, passing both sets of doors and were walking passed a group of people heading in when someone body-checked Jill on the shoulder.

"HEY!," Jacinda yelled. "Watch where you're fucking going."

A face turned and it was the guy with the white hat. "Fuck off, bitch. Ya'll need a real man, you fucking bull dy-"

The asshole dropped to the ground, struggling to breath. The heel of Jacinda's palm had struck with all her strength into just below his solar plexus. Something might even have cracked. On his knees he struggled to get his diaphragm to start working again.

Jacinda took the moment to drop to her knees and grab his ear painfully, nails digging into the cartilage at the back. She whispered. "Oh I've had plenty. But not from little boys who throw temper-tantrums because no one wants to touch their little pecker." She smiled maliciously, her whisper for his ear alone. "Instead, I'm gonna go home with my girlfriend there. And when we're not going down on each other, we're gonna be laughing at you." Her look was feral as she stared into his eyes

it all took less than a minute- the bouncer hadn't even come out yet- and then Jacinda was next to Jill, holding her hand as they walked away.

Nearing the hotel, she let go. "Sorry. The guy pissed me off."

Jill smiled at her, looking up at her in the dark. "It's ok."

They went into the room and Jacinda headed for the restroom. While they were in civilization, it felt good to freshen up before bed. The little things were nice.

She came out in boxers and a t-shirt to find Jill standing over the bag on her bed, clad only in her panties and a tank top. Jacinda froze. Jill looked at her over her shoulder briefly and then went back to looking for whatever it was she was looking for. Turned out to be a pair of boxers too.

For some reason Jacinda felt a bit tongue-tied, then shook it off. She was a little drunk. Not three sheets to the wind, but still sporting a good buzz.

She slipped into her cool sheets and then looked over at Jill who was putting her bag away. "Fun tonight, aye?"

Jacinda looked at her with a big grin. "Very much. Thanks for the push." She paused. "Maybe after this is done, we can head down to Flag. I can show you some cool places."

Jacinda felt warm. "Yeah. I'd like that."

Jacinda slept in small increments. Despite the cold of night, she felt hot. Alcohol did that to her. She was half-asleep, dreams semi-conscious memories of the night, lucid and controlled in one sense, but still not merely imagining or fantasy. They were far too real for that.

The sheep pen discovery was every bit as terrifying and yet the very next moment they were lounging in the hotel room, relaxed in their beds after cleaning up....when the cute waiter from the grill brought them their drinks... and she was enjoying the way Jill smiled and moved her lips as she spoke, eyes lighting up, and yet somehow, at the same time, Jacinda could also see her in her early 20s at college, laughing and hiking and sitting next to a girl she was interested in.... and suddenly she was the girl and they were at the Top Deck and the waiter was the kid who had asked them to dance with his sweet nervousness.

I'm curious about her mouth, dream-Jacinda thought, and suddenly she was very aware of just how playful and expressive those lips were, wondered how they might feel, wanted to see them respond to her. Because she was mesmerized.

And Jacinda's heart was beating as she suddenly realized how hot it was and kicked off the heavy blanket and suddenly the dream images vanished like a popped bubble and it was black deathly quiet. She looked over to the other bed and only made out the sleeping mound that was Jill, her smooth even breathing indicating she was still deep in sleep.

Jacinda got up, enjoying the coolness against her bare legs and arms, and went to bathroom- no lights. Didn't want to wake Jill....or herself really- and cupped her hand under the faucet to quietly get a drink of water. Refreshed of the stale cottonmouth she got back into bed and, after a moment, adjusted the heavy blanket so her legs were free but torso covered.

She looked again at Jill's shapeless form. Not so shapeless, she remembered. Not at all. Strangely, she was very aware of their proximity and her heart sped up a little.

You're drunk, she laughed and rolled over, letting her mind drift as was her habit, watching the leaf-like thoughts drift down the river. She picked up none of them, honed in on none of them, and gradually, the gentle rolling let her sleep.

When she woke she wasn't hungover or anything, not really. Not that she expected it. Jill must have awoke at the sounds of her in the shower for when Jacinda came out in her towel, Jill was already pulling clothes out for the day. "I'll be done in a sec," she said, vaguely feeling odd.

Jill's smile was natural. Indeed, she seemed relaxed and at peace. Her hair was a mess and she still had that I-just-woke-up look, but there was something different about her. Free. Peace. About time. She was away from the stifling atmosphere.

"No biggie. Mind if I jump in while you get going?" Jacinda only took a second to nod before she walked passed her into the bathroom and was pulling her tank top and bottoms off and jumping into the shower. For a half second, Jacinda noticed and didn't look away.

She shook it off and went and got dressed, t-shirt and wool flannel shirt over, black jeans and a denim jacket. She went back into the bathroom and wiped the fog off the mirror before she started finishing her hair, teeth and general touching up.

Only vaguely was she aware of the indistinct sillouette from the shower reflected in the foggy parts of the mirror. Over the noise of the water, Jill asked "So, we just hanging out today?

Jacinda didn't look as she flossed. "No. I figure we go some place locals may talk. A diner or something."

The water shut off and the silence was deafening. "Make's sense. Hey, can you hand me a towel?"

Jacinda felt her pulse jump but she reached for the rack and pulled one down and held it out to the door. It started to open and she turned, feeling it snatched from her hands. "Here. I'll give you a sec," and she left.

She had to get all her crap for the day anyway. Jill came out in her towel and Jacinda went back to finish her morning rituals.

When she came out, Jill was wearing a tshirt that said "Cosmic Music Festival- Phoenix- March 15, 2023," along with an old astronaut hovering over the logo. Underneath were a list of various artists, none of whom she recognized.

They both finished and after a check with the hotel clerk were driving to the Golden Sands Cafe. The place had a similar western feel to the Top Deck and the smell of coffee filled the air.

Jacinda smiled, inhaling, feeling some of the fog of last night dispel. So maybe she had been a bit hung over. It explained a lot. "Now that's more like it," she said, breathing deeply. "After the swill I've been making, this is heaven."

Jill laughed sweetly. "Oh get out of here. You're coffee was fine. But....when we go to Flag, I'll take you to the Lumberjack's Mill. Best breakfast ever. And because there are so many snobby rich kids, they have the best coffee. You'll love it!" Jill looked so excited that Jacinda found it contagious.

Her heartbeat relaxed for some reason.

A voice interruped. "Hi, I'm Sasha. What can I get you started to drink." Jacinda and Jill looked up to see a cute curvy brunette with green highlights in her hair and studs where her dimples should be, a lip piercing and one in the hollow of her neck looking at both of them. 

There was a twinkle in her eye.

Jacinda smiled at the girl. "Coffee. Black. Thanks."

The girl looked at Jill expectantly. Jill paused for a moment, flashing Jacinda a teasing smile and then turned to face the server. "I would kill for a latte. Please. I've been drinking swill for days."

Jacinda laughed sharply at the tweak. Jill winked at her. Just then the server spoke up, voice gushing. "Oh my god! The Cosmic Music Festival?!?!? I literally got back from that last week!" She peered down, as if reading. Jacinda found herself frowning strangely. "You went in 23? Let me see." Jill adjusted her shirt so it was readable. "Brandi Carlisle. The One. Star Child...Janelle Monae? God I love her!"

Jill's face lit up and she grinned and Jacinda felt her heart racing. God, what a smile. "Yeah....she's amazing. At the festival....she owned the stage. Made you feel... she touched her heart with her fist. "I dont know. Just good.. Have you listened to her latest streams?"

And suddenly Jacinda felt herself cut out of the loop as they talked. She felt like a kid again. Mom and Dad talking with other adults and her not knowing what was going on. Left to herself. Another time. She was 14 and sitting with Regan at some restaurant. A football game was on and suddenly he and the waiter were talking scores and players and teams. Laughing and connecting.

And she was just sitting there. Fucking sitting there and ignored. No one. Not important.

Just Jacinda.

She wasn't a kid. Fuck this. She interrupted. "Sorry. The coffee? Had a late night." Sasha looked at her surprised and apologetic.

"I'm so sorry. Let me get that." She flashed Jill a smile and hurried off. Jill looked at her, puzzled.

And now she felt stupid. She looked sheepish. "Sorry. Maybe I'm a bit hungover. I should get something greasy." She smiled weakly.

She looked around. The Golden Sands was a typical diner in a small town. You could gauge the temperature of a place by their diners. While they waited, she nodded to the surrounding. "Not a lot of tension in here."

Jill still didn't look away. Jacinda looked at her puzzled, wondering what she wanted.

It was only a moment and then Jill pulled the plastic menu from the holder. Jacinda felt vaguely embarrassed. Yeah, the hang-over, definitely. She listened to the clink of silverware on plates, the quiet hum of conversation. Along the diner bar were stools that regulars sat at, chatting away with the staff like old friends.

No one looked at them sideways or gave them strange glances. More than likely, if anything strange had happened- a missing person or a body found- well, strangers were always the first to be looked at suspiciously. Especially if the skinwalker was still concentrating on the reservation. The native locals would be giving her and Jill all kinds of vibes.

Still, this wasn't the only place. She pulled her phone out and pulled up the map, looking for the nearest towns. Leechee. Greenhaven. Kaibeto. Bitter Springs. Those last two were probably as far as it might have gotten. She started pulling up the local blotters. Not that they would be exhaustive. But surprisingly, these small towns did a pretty good job of recording local police activity. She never understood why, but she always appreciated it.

Jill looked up, curious and leaned forward. "Did you find something?" Jacinda turned the phone so that both of them could see.

"Nothing yet. Obviously, we won't see anything big in the papers. And maybe no one at this place has noticed anything. But maybe somewhere near here. On the outskirts. Here, tell me if anything jumps out at you."

Jill scrolled through each one. Some were typical. Cattle on the road. A fire. Car accidents. She commented absently as she read. "89 is pretty infamous. There's a saying. Pray for me and mine. I drive US 89." Her smile was weak. "On the way to Bitter Springs or Flag, you take 89 south through the Cut. The road winds and there aren't really guard rails. Pretty easy to go off the edge if you aren't paying attention. Or have been drinking."

They talked back and forth, pausing only briefly when Sasha returned with the drinks. Not ready to order and obviously in the middle of something, she left them alone. So...a few were possiblities. The fire in Leechee killed a family. No word on bodies. If the skinwalker wanted to cover its tracks- or make things more challenging- starting a fire would very easily hide things until it was too late. Ditto with an accident.

She thought about the guy at the sheep camp. She had taken a picture. But unless the thing walked passed them wearing his face, it didn't help.

Her stomach rumbled and Jill laughed. As if by magic Sasha was there. Jill knew what she wanted and ordered immediately. Jacinda put the phone away. "Alright. Let me see," she said, pulling out the menu.

Everything looked good. The pictures didn't help. Nor did Sasha and Jill's conversation, to be honest. She tried to ignore it, feeling dumb for some reason.

"...Yeah, Burning Man. Gonna be at Lake Havesu this summer on the Chemehuevi Reservation. Did you..."
Bacon and eggs with hashbrowns and pancakes.

"....the water was so cold, I couldn't believe it...."
Southwestern skillet with egg, sausage, potato, hatch chiles and gravy.

"....shipped over brick by brick and rebuilt. So London Bridge..."
Chicken fried steak and eggs with biscuits and gravy.

It was all harmless, she told herself. Jacinda looked up and took a sip of her coffee giving both women a smile. Sasha looked at her suddenly. "I'm so sorry. What can I get you." She really was a sweet girl. Just trying to be friendly.

She went with the skillet, eggs over easy.

"Maybe after this, we can head down to...Kaibeto, right? The accident? Talk to some people." Jill nodded.

"We need a cover, though."

"Already got one. Investigators. Hired by a guy looking for his daughter. Same make and model of the vehicle. Just following up every lead. The local LEO's will probably let on the casualties and what they were. Their mood will tell if something was odd."

An approving smile slowly spread on Jill's face and she raised an eyebrow, as if impressed. And Jacinda felt all warm and fuzzy inside. She laughed and then remembered Jill's impressions of teens at the 7-2-11. Doing her best (and most terrible) version of it, she made herself look like a love sick boy, expressing himself. "Ahh sh'heart. You make me feel all somehow."

Jill laughed and slapped at her arm playfully.

Sasha returned, arms laden with plates. Quickly enough, the food sat in front of them. "Anything else?"

"Tabasco, please," at the same time Jacinda said, "Some tabasco."

Sasha laughed. "One of you owes the other a coke." Jacinda looked at Jill with raised eyebrows, as if to say, well?

Soon enough, they fell to eating and planning. The food was warm and wonderful and her stomach thanked her profusely.

So, Kaibeto. Then another place to eat and feel out. Then Lechee. They'd need a different ruse for the fire. Then Bitter Springs.

Sasha cleared their plates away. Jacinda watched her leave and then gave Jill a teasing look. "And I'm sure you'll wanna have breakfast here each day, too."

Jill blushed and said "No!" but the smile she tried to fight said she wasn't wrong.

Good for her, she thought. Good for her. But suddenly she felt a little tired, like some of the energy had drained out of her.

That happened sometimes when you ate too much.

Jacinda went to the cashier and paid the bill, not looking back to see if they were talking again. They had work to do anyway. That would help. Wake her up a little.

The hunt was always energizing.

Jacinda stood at the pump, waiting for it to finish. The cold was made all the worse by the strong knife like wind cutting into her ears and neck. Still, she didn't wait in the cab where it was warm. It was kind of nice being alone for a moment. Not that Jill talked her ear off. Truth be told, she did most of the talking.

She looked up and saw the clouds moving quickly across the pale blue sky. The strong wind seemed to muffle out the sound of anything else. She thought about the hunt they had been on for the last few days. Just waiting and waiting. Which was part of the hunt, she knew. You have an idea where your quarry has gone and you stake it out, waiting for it to show.

Thing was, it seemed to have disappeared. And that was even more literally true with the skinwalker. She didn't even know how often it needed to feed. Did it hibernate? What kind of prey did it prefer? According to Jill, the kills that had snagged Hosteen's attention were apart by months or weeks.

They had been here in Page for a week. It was a nice town, as things went. But they had hit up every restaurant in town. Every diner. And dancing at the Top Deck. She did enjoy that. After that first visit, they didn't have any further troubles. And while she danced with men too, she felt funny now dancing with Jill. Not bad funny. Just...like she was nervous or had an upset stomach. She wasn't sure what that was, since she had never, not once in her life, ever felt that before. So there was that.

But they also hit the Blue Coffee Pot every morning, too. It had been a tease at the beginning, but Jacinda had been right. There was definitely a vibe there between Sasha and Jill. And for some reason, try as she might, it bothered her.

Thankfully, when she and Jill were together, Sasha never came up. As quiet as Jill had seemed, now she was animated and spoke freely, often sharing her knowledge of the region. The geology of the Colorado Plateau. This whole area had been underwater millions of years ago, with pressurized magma leaking through fissures and hardening into plugs. Later, when the Pacific plate running east slammed into North America, crumpling part of the continent upward to create the Rockies, a massive shift lifted part the Colorado Plateau high into the air. Over time, erosion stripped away the softer rocks and sediment that had once been under water, leaving the hard volcanic plugs jutting out into the air, Over eons, wind and rain twisted and shaped them into the monuments that dotted the land.

The way Jill spoke, Jacinda could almost see it- the massive crash, the mountains raising- though in reality it had taken millions and millions of years. But that was her gift. Teaching. She heard stories about the Navajo and the Hopi and the endless wars between them. The ancient Anasazi who suddenly disappeared into thin air. The Sacred Mountains. Terrible stories. The hero, Chief Manuelito, and the Long Walk forced by American soldiers, bodies of the young and the weak dropping right and left. Their stand at Canyon DeChelly. And she heard personal stories that broke her heart, of stolen kisses and careful attempts to find affection and love.

So maybe Page itself was getting boring. But she didn't mind, exactly. Being with Jill definitely wasn't. Still, she wanted to leave. Maybe go somewhere new. Somewhere that didn't have a Blue Coffee Pot. Nothing was happening here anyway.

But they had a job to do, despite her cabin fever. Today they were heading south on 89 about 60 or 70 miles to Cameron. A nice place, Jill said. The turn off there took you took the Grand Canyon, if you wanted drive the extra 30 minutes. The blotter had mentioned a coyote attack. It was as close to what they had been looking for as anything else. Not that she had hopes though.

Eventually they were on the road and Jill had selected the music. Jacinda didn't mind. She had chosen some ambient sounding hip hop. Jacinda wasn't a fan in general, but this stuff had some complexity to it. Lot's of jazzy beats. To be honest, she could really see herself listening to this while having a drink or smoking a joint, it was that relaxing. She sneaked a glance at Jill. She was staring peacefully out the window, seemingly lost in thought.

Then Jacinda looked at the sky. The clouds had come in heavy the further south and higher in elevation they went. They were dark and angry, reaching all the way to the mountains in the distance. She was glad they had brought their bags. Standard MO, but still. "Looks like there's a storm coming."

Jill roused and looked. "Huh? Oh. Yeah. Snow. It'll get worse the closer we get to Flag."

Another wild goose chase. Jacinda frowned, realizing the truth. "You know, it's been over a week and a half. I think we may have been wrong about the skinwalker. Or at least that it wants to play. It's gone to ground somewhere. We need to come up with another angle. Maybe we should head back to talk to your father again. There's gotta be something else we can use."

For some reason, Jill's face dropped. Idiot! And now she felt terrible. Jill didn't want to go home. Jacinda switched off the music and hesitantly, she reached out and touched her hand. Her voice was soft. "Hey. I'm sorry. I just..." She trailed off, uncertain what to say. Back to prison, Jill! Another thought occurred but...nah. Too soon. Or maybe not?...but how could she broach it? She hadn't had a partner since Regan. She'd worked with teams but they were always loosely formed and disbanded after the hunt. Imagining Jill going back home, though, now that she'd seen her free..."You know...after this hunt...maybe we could do others together."

She had just stepped off a cliff and didn't realize it until the words had come out. She flustered. "Just something to think about later," she said quickly. Jill looked at her as if studying her. Suddenly she was very aware that she held her hand still. "How about this," she jumped in, afraid of anything she might say. "Let's check this out in Cameron and if it doesn't pan out, you take me to Flagstaff and show me...around." She blushed. She had been going to say Show me a good time. Heh. Old habits.

Jill smiled at her and she reddened. "I would really like that," she said into the quiet.

She pulled her hand away slowly, already missing the warmth.

Relax, Jacinda. You've made a friend, that's all. It's just new to you. She did relax then, realizing the voice was right. She was always guarded. With everyone, But men especially. She enjoyed them, but on her own terms. But there were never feelings. Not since Regan. Feelings were avoided. That had spilled over into what might have been friendships. I guess Jill slipped passed those guards.

"Well let's check it out, then. And then see about those mountains ahead." She also turned the music back up. Yeah, it was definitely growing on her.

Jacinda didn't even feel guilty Cameron had turned out to be nothing. She supposed she should have. It was still out there. But the clouds were heavy and dark, the San Francisco peaks loomed in the distance, and drifting flakes of snow already had begun their slow descent from heaven.

And she felt a strange sense of excitement in her stomach- the roiling anticipation as the wolfkin finally showed itself; the chupe sniffing the air cautiously- and you knew that one way or another, something was about to change.

The forerunner's heat wasn't cranked up too high. Like most first snows, the cold on the ground wasn't that bad. If anything, it felt they were in some sort of cocoon, the earth below, the heavy clouds above, and somehow the air between seeming warm and compressed. They drove the rest of the way.

Flagstaff was much bigger than Page. Old Route 66 signs on hotels and businesses showed where that ancient highway that once connected the American midwest all the way to California used to dominate. But the I-17 and I-40 now crisscrossed, the new arteries of the city,  along with frontage roads and major streets.

All of which said, this was a real town.

In the hotel parking lot, getting their bags, the night strangely bright despite the clouds, the snow started to fall in earnest. Snowflakes jeweled Jill's hair, framing her laughing face. And Jacinda couldn't help wanting to touch them. She held back though. The cold ice melting at a touch on Jacinda sent trickles of cold down her neck to her back and collar bone. They laughed as they hurried into the room.

After getting settled, they hit up a restaurant- one of many- near the row of hotel chains off 40 they had chosen. The day had been long and the drive tiring. Conversation was light and the food good. A night for relaxing.

Jacinda's boots crunched through the freshly fallen snow as they walked back to their room. At one point she caught herself slipping and Jill steadied her, catching her. Just a moment, but the feel of her arms, the solidity of her presence as if it were an anchor was something she latched on to. Strangely, she felt safe.

Funny. Suddenly she remembered how Regan had done the same years ago. It was just a momentary memory, but somehow....well, it was nice. She murmored a thanks.

That night, they each got into their beds. It seemed neither was ready to drop off right away. Casual conversation eventually led to the hunt. And Jill didn't seem to shy away from the subject. A good sign.

In her bed, head nestled comfortably in a pillow, another between her knees, the air keeping her legs from being too hot as the heater ran, she couldn't see Jill. But she could picture her, not 6 feet away. And somehow their conversation felt more intimate.

At a lull. "I've faced a lot of stuff out there. A lot! Skinwalkers are the wierdest yet."

A laugh- not amused- came from the other bed. "Wierd isn't the word I'd use."

A bark of a laugh. "Fair enough. Just....they're so different from anything I've hunted. Normally, I don't care. Just tell me how to kill them. But...it does make you wonder."

Jill was quiet for a bit. "Obviously, the Navajo- the Dine- know of them. The Hopi too. And the Apache. The Dine and Apache are related. I've read of Ute legends that might be them too. And hints going all the way to Canada. There's a First People's tribe up there who may be descendants of our ancestors. At least, the language is related. So....who knows."

Jacinda listened, only vaguely familiar with some of the tribe names. Finally, "In legend, where'd they come from?"

Somehow, despite the dark, she had the impression Jill was smiling. Her tone seemed serious, though. "After the people- the Dine- fled the flooding of the third world up the stalk ladder through the layers of heaven into the fourth world, they found themselves within the sacred land, bounded by the four holy mountains."

She paused. "But..." she said ominously, "Some of the women had seperated from the men and had begun to use objects for copulation. Carved stones and shaped sticks and even bone. Eventually, they became pregant." A pause. "And so the monsters were born, of rock and wood and bone. And others. The naaldlooshi, the skinwalkers were one them."

Jacinda couldn't help her chuckle, then felt bad. "Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. Just that...well....Heh. If that's how it works, any monsters I gave birth to would be pink and their heads would vibrate and spin."

Jill exploded with giggles and Jacinda felt relief flood her. And then Jill piped up, after a moment of hesitation, "Heh. My 'kids' would need to be plugged in to do anything."

Jacinda laughed and laughed suddenly realizing she could finally sleep. Why on earth that conversation meant anything, she didn't know. But it did.

It really did.

"Night Jill. Sleep well." And she drifted off, feeling happy and at peace.