This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A New Family
Ivan was a take charge guy. He pretty much ran the show, which in the long run didn't bother her too greatly. But the fact that the others followed said as much about them as it did him. He may have been young, but he was good at his job, or he wouldn't be here.

Alex got in the passenger side of the car and was happy to be warm again, even the brief walk outside was more than she liked in a skirt. The wind always seemed to howl and gust just as she walked along the sidewalk. A perfectly calm day and then wind, like she was staging some Marilyn Monroe competition. Thankfully her skirt didn't flutter the way the iconic photo did. Sex icons. So much easier to be yourself.

Inside the car Ivan said the obvious question on his mind. A slow smile spread across Alex's face. "Would you now?"

She turned to turned to grin at him playfully. "I can sense another's emotions. But I was taught to be polite and not delve unless it was necessary. Day to day life is not necessary. My career has flourished without that knowledge being known. But my abilities do extend to the normal as well. There have been very few people who can eclipse my senses."
Ivan drove as he listened. This Doc seemed to like teasing. He couldn't help but grin. They probably get along well. At her answer, though, he frowned in surprise. Sensing feelings? He'd never heard of such a thing. Course that didn't mean much. There were a lot of things out there. He remembered that hunt with Akantha.

Made sense though. Monsters your problem? You need the Monster Squad. Probably should be their motto. Better than 'protect and serve' or whatever. He wondered if any others on the team had special abilities or whether it was just the two of them.

"Well that's a trick to have. Lookin forward to seeing it in action."
he said with a smile. "You always have this ability? Can you read everyone?"
Alex smiled, telling people her secret always added more questions. However Chief Inspector Drayson had not which was oddly refreshing.

But Alex didn't mind sharing. "I've been this way since I was 5 years old. It comes on quickly and requires extensive training to live a normal life. I've only met one Sentient outside of a Sentient community. And she's pretty messed up from what I can tell."

The second part was a rather interesting question. She knew the answer but how do you tell someone you hardly know your true weakness, and her true helpfulness.

She took a deep breathe. "I can read most everyone. There are only two types of folks who can hide themselves from my ability. The first are my kind, we learn early on how to shield ourselves from other's thoughts, it's one way we protect ourselves from intrusion. And the second are those that we, this task force was created for. For men and women like Dane Gregory, those who are dangerous and can weild a power unseen. Their use of power, when they use it makes them disappear from my senses. I can tell the instant they hold their power. Which is both advantage and disadvantage."
Alex would let that sink in. Dane Gregory needed to be caught, he needed to be charged with something Alex had no real proof of anything, only his lack of emotion at most times. His nature was obvious to her, but without proof he could run the world ragged with whatever he planned on doing.
The streets were clear though a fringe of dirty slush lined either side. It was starting to warm up, which was nice. He listened, fascinated as she explained. That last part, though, made him smile. Not the part about this guy Dane whatever. He'd never heard of him. No, she was going to find out about him the first time they got into a sticky situation. Though truth was, it was better for her to know now. It wasn't a secret, not really. you had to know your teammate's strengths and weaknesses. It just wasn't something he could demonstrate without stress. Damn, but that was irritating.

"Well I guess you should know I'm one of those guys. With the power. It's why I'm on the Monster Squad. It's come in handy a few times in the tunnels when we went up against some pretty nasty stuff."
He grinned sheepishly. "Course I can't use it unless I'm tense or the situation is hairy, so I can't demonstrate for you. That's gonna be something I'm going to have to figure out before too long, though. Like having a gun that will only fire at the last minute."

Alex grinned at the analogy. She could see how that could be annoying. But there were two things she could do to help him out if he really wanted it. She didn't want to presume too much she would present both options.

At the next intersection turned to look at him and smiled. "I would be willing to you find the cause of that issue. But it will be more along my lines of worth, the whole shrink thing."
Alex felt like sticking her tongue out at him, most people don't particular like talking to those in her profession, but it was usually helpful. "I might also know someone who might be able to give you pointers, or he might know someone who can. I don't think the two of you would get along too well Bright Eyes."
She grinned at him. "But he's at least a few friends who can do what you do."

Alex would never introduce Sebastian to Ivan, but Bas had friends, and she was fairly certain one of them would very much like to show off his talents, if his antics at the bar had been any indication. It had taken a long time to figure out that whole scenario that night, but after a few nights with Bas she understood completely that the tall skinny one was definitely one of these so called godlings, and he had no problems to her knowledge of calling his godly power.

But she hoped not to have to do that, Ivan was a smart man, he'd probably want to keep his secret as much as she wanted to keep hers.
He laughed. "Bright eyes? Sheesh, what do I look like? A pet?"
He winked at her.

It did sound interesting, though. He hadn't met anyone else like him except for Ascendancy. Well there was Smiley. But he was an asshole anyway, even if he could'a' helped. But maybe someone else could. Holding the power made him feel more alive than at any other time. Well, he could think of a few other things too. But to be able to hold the power at will, now that could be fun indeed. He chuckled at a few thoughts that passed through his mind.

"So what's up with your friend? Why wouldn't we get along?"
He looked at her innocently. "Everybody loves me,"
, grinning stupidly to let her know he was joking.
Alex laughed. Ivan was a good man, and funny. And he surely would not get along with Sebastian their line of work was not the same very opposite of one another. But it was the fact that he assumed he was a friend. Alex could only smile at that, she would not call Sebastian a friend, he was many things but he was not a friend. "Who said anything about him being my friend?"
She grinned at him playfully. "I have no doubt that you are liked by most people you encounter, except maybe those with whom you encounter on your day to day job."
It was the only hint she was about to give him.

"His friends that I've met only briefly surprise me that he would associate with them. Not exactly his type either. But I suppose your power brings you closer together. One seemed very competent, the other well, he didn't look like he fit in with either of them."

She looked back at Ivan "I suppose you've not met too many folks like you?"
Alex confided, "I sometimes wish I had that same dilemma."
Alex's mind wandered a little to Aria and her past, without thinking she spoke her mind. "Though I'd hate to have grown up like my half sister, and her cult like upbringing - a girl with a sword, who'd even beleive that."
They were getting close to the first vic's house. As much as he wanted to continue the conversation- a sister with a sword in a cult? That was a story he wanted to hear about- they had a job to do.

"Hold that thought. Remind me to pry shamelessly a bit later."
He pulled up the report on his wallet. "Mrs. Golenko. 25 years of age. Married to her wife for three years. Two kids. Junior employee at one of the brokerage houses."
Yeah, it didn't really add up. He opened the door and went from the nice warm car out into the cold. He looked at her over the top of his car. "Damn it's cold! so many better places to hook up with someone than a freezing park."
Still, you never let your assumptions keep you from doing your job. And they needed to hear the story himself.

Truth be told, though, it was rather interesting to have a human lie detector. "You better switch on your super-senses or whatever."
He smiled as he said it.

They walked to the door and rang the bell. It was the bottom floor of a middle class building. Not bad. She must do pretty well for herself. Her or her wife anyway. The door open and a pretty woman about his age opened the door. She looked tired and her eyes were red-rimmed. "Mrs. Golenko? We're with the CCPD"
He flashed his badge. "We were hoping you could answer some questions for us?"

"Yes?" she said at first, then went on. "This about the park? You mean my wife Helena." She sighed. It wasn't particularly welcoming. "About time you started doing your damn jobs instead of putting her through the ringer." She opened the door and wearily let them in. "She's in here." She led them into a living room where another woman, blonde her in somewhat of a messy ponytail, t-shirt and sweats was sitting in a chair and flipping channels idly. She saw them come in and her face tightened. "Police, Helena." She looked at the Ivan and Alex and then went to sit next to the woman on the couch. The faces they saw were defensive.

"Can we sit down?"
At a nod, they sat. He looked at Alex. She was the shrink. She might get farther than him. He hoped her super-senses picked up on his feeling.
Alex had said too much, she'd peaked his curiosity, and he didn't seem the type to let things slide, she didn't exactly want to talk about her half sister, though she had been more on her mind as of late. She wondered what her father was up to. He was back in town, and he brought Luka with him. He better not get Luka killed.

But Ivan was right, they had work to do and she set herself into her professional self. The weather was cold, but she left her warm jacket on the seat and walked up with Ivan.

The house was nice but the woman inside didn't match what the first woman, she looked tired and worn, to be expected after a rape. Alex offered her hand before sitting, "I'm Dr. Pirozzi, I'm working with the CCDPD to try and catch the person who did this to you. I've a few questions, they might seem overly personal, but I'd appreciate the answer, it will go a long way in profiling your assailant."

The woman flicked the tv off and was brusque with her words. Sure, fine." She'd been run through the ringer. Alex smiled and let her senses wide, she'd feel what this woman felt, the sad thing was also she'd feel what Ivan and her wife did and probably anyone else with in a ten meter radius. But she focused on one Helena Golenko.

"I'd like to start off with telling you that I believe you were raped. Despite the physical facts that have given you a difficult time in proving this."
The woman gave Alex a wane smile, she didn't exactly believe Alex. "Can you tell me about that day? What you remember seeing, feeling. Describe it to me, what happened when you woke up. Sights and smells in particular can help bring back memories we've repressed. You might have seen your assailant without ever having known it."

Helena explained to her in not so many terms what her day had been liked. It started out with the woman hating every moment of it. But Alex coaxed more information as she went on, asking questions to pull more memories until they came to her job in the park. There fear rose up in her. But it didn't show on her face, even living through that once was enough. Alex put her hand on the woman's knee reassuringly and she received a smile in return.

She spoke of running, she didn't remember hearing anything specific, nor any smells. Alex took note of each thing she said, until the lapse in memory.

"And what do you remember from directly afterwards?"

Helena went on to describe what she remembered. What she heard, saw and smelled to the best of her ability. Alex took notes on everything, it was going to be the little things that caught this one.

Alex stood up with a smile. "I thank you for your time. You have been most helpful."
Alex pulled out her personal business card. "Mrs. Golenko, if you'd like to discuss anything else my door is always open."

Alex nodded to Ivan that she was done. They walked out to the car and she smiled. "There was no lies in her answers. Everything spoke truth, though until we speak to others we probably won't know more."
The Doc was good at what she did. Mrs. Golenko was clearly tired, emotionally, but she rallied, like she sensed that they were taking this seriously. People were pretty easy with him a lot of the times. But in emotional cases, not so much. Rape-kits were nearly as traumatic as the rapes themselves. He was glad she was here.

The account just as they expected. Girl's out jogging, next thing she knows she's waking up in the park with all the signs of having been raped. No memory in between. It all sounded legit to him.

After they left, the Doc confirmed his own suspicions. "We'll probably find the same at the next one,"
he said as he started driving to the next location.

And he was right. each of the victims gave the same account. As they were driving back to the station he started thinking out loud. "I'd suspect some sort of sedative but the blood work done at the time of the rape-kit said there was nothing in their system."
He tried to think. "What else could knock these women out and leave no memory? Some sort of hypnosis? A sonic-weapon maybe?"
He thought he remembered reading about something like that.

He looked at the Doc, an idea popping into his head. "You said you read emotions. Do you know if there are people who can change them? Or even alter their memory or something?"

It was a shot in the dark but they had to start thinking out of the box on this. It was kinda the reason their squad had been put together.