This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Bright Flowers
Kiriena smiled and led the woman through the store, getting two of everything. She even checked each one, making sure her customer got the best of the bunch.

Kiriena led Nika to the counter and rang up her tab, letting the other woman know the cost of her goods, and as Nika prepared payment, Kiriena prepared something else. Throughout their interactions, Kiriena had found herself liking the other woman.

She handed the other woman a yellow rose, historically known as a symbol of friendship. With it came a small vase and instructions on taking care of the plant.

"This one is on me. A gift for a new friendship."
The lovely proprietor’s careful selections were not wasted on her latest customer. Everything looked delicious. Some of this would not make it back to her condo. Hopefully she’d be able to keep it off of her shirt though. Nika mentioned as much as she paid in cash. This was a small business and it was customary to do so, at least where she was from. The little guys had to have some sort of benefit over the global dominance of Ascazon. There were even tax laws nowadays in most countries lenient with cash payments. Two decades ago that wasn’t the case but now if your sole proprietorship showed a profit of a million or less...cash transactions were only taxed at something like 2% in Russia (if you bothered to declare it at all). The numbers were a little different here and there but the big tax shakeups a decade ago made for fascinating reading to probably no one who wasn’t a number cruncher. Or you needed something to help you get to sleep.

The gift was certainly unexpected. Nika’s thanks was genuine though. “You’ve done it now. Custom dictates I bake you a lasagna so tell me if you don’t eat anything.” The smaller woman’s face was serious but her eyes twinkled mischievously. “Otherwise Mamma Bella will put il malocchio on me and I don’t know where the nearest strega is.” She winked on her way out the door. “Sorry for babbling while hungry,” she called over her shoulder. “Thank you again.”

Tomorrow’s hours were noted for the lasagna delivery before she drove away. While having passed long ago, the assassin had no doubts about Grandma Bella putting The Eye on her from the grave should she not return gift for gift.
Edited by Nika Raskov, May 7 2018, 07:48 PM.
A picnic basket found its way to the delivery chute the next morning at 11:30 sharp. Nika had made the lasagna herself from an old family recipe; the Italian cliche. Well, one of many. The meal was still hot and the basket held everything necessary for immediate consumption, should the shop’s proprietor opt for such.

A simple card was included; the handwriting thereon neat, practiced and flowing.

Kiriena,

Thank you for your kindness.

-Nika Raskov